Ark Royal circa 1587 - finished model.

Hello.

Here is my depiction of the very first Ark Royal. I based the model on Airfix's Revenge kit and painted her with acrylics, Vallejo mainly. The scale is 1/144 and length of the model is a little under 45 cm.

They say that a change is as good as a break. I was asked to provide a model of this ship by a local museum. I decided to have a try myself, even though I started out knowing next to nothing about the subject. Over the 1-year duration I have learnt an enormous amount, and a large part of that has come from folks on Britmodeller who have given generously of their time and expertise to steer me on the right course. There are many to thank, but I would like to praise @Black Knight and @mdesaxe especially. Please do have a browse through the build thread as there are some interesting topics discussed there. 

Link to build thread......

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235057536-ark-royal-circa-1587/

If you find your modelling mojo ebbing or want to try something fresh or to turn your skills acquired in painting wood effects on your Wingnut Wings to something new, then I recommend a galleon. You will have fun, face new challenges, learn new skills and some fascinating history. The end result will look great in your display case.

The model will be wall mounted for display and viewed downwards on one side. I chose to support the model on brass rods that pass through gun ports on the blind side of the ship, so the supports will be out of view. Some photos show this arrangement, others show the model on a stand I made for working on the model. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

YNR0gWe.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thank you once again to all you folks on Britmodeller who made this project such a worthwhile and fun experience for me.

Many thanks for viewing. Why not build one yourself? :thumbsup:

Pat

• Like 49
  • Thanks 6

This is an amazing model! I speak as a just-retired museum curator (over 25 years working in maritime museums), an active consultant with maritime museums (including the Smithsonian), and a one-time professional ship model maker with more than 20 models in museums around the world.

Maurice

• Thanks 1

Superb, right down to the base!

I think, if it were mine, then instead of nuts and bolts, I'd have used wooden dowel in the base to echo the build of the ship (and this is definitely NOT a critiscism)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, mdesaxe said:

This is an amazing model! I speak as a just-retired museum curator (over 25 years working in maritime museums), an active consultant with maritime museums (including the Smithsonian), and a one-time professional ship model maker with more than 20 models in museums around the world.

Maurice

Wow 😁. I never dreamt of being on the receiving end of such a lovely compliment !

2020 is not such a bad year after all.

Thank you very much for your guidance during the build of this model, Maurice. Your contributions along with those from @Black Knight have been a godsend !

And best wishes for a happy, healthy and long retirement 👍

Pat

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alpha Juliet said:

Superb, right down to the base!

I think, if it were mine, then instead of nuts and bolts, I'd have used wooden dowel in the base to echo the build of the ship (and this is definitely NOT a critiscism)

FWIW - I agree with @Alpha Juliet

• Thanks 1

I absolutely loved the WIP, and now to see this finished is such a pleasure Pat. Your ability to make plastic look like wood, and bring a ship model like this to life with all kinds of detailed touches, is a skill indeed. Wingnut Wings modellers should take note, and maritime modellers, I'm sure will be inspired!

Terry

• Thanks 1

Thanks once more, everyone, for your kind words. A special thanks to those who followed the WIP for your support and advice.

If any of you plan on visiting our little town of Budleigh Salterton to view the model, then please do let me know. It would be great to meet you in person!

Thanks again,

Pat

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Alpha Juliet said:

That is the work-in-progress hull support base. Not the final display base.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

That is the work-in-progress hull support base. Not the final display base.

Thanks for mentioning that, @Black Knight, I hadn't twigged what @Alpha Juliet meant so my apologies for not picking up on it.

Here are some photos of the model on its final display stand (sans Perspex top and name plate)......

spacer.png

The model will be wall mounted, so the brass rods in these photos will be out of view........

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers,

Pat

• Like 9

As I have said many times during the build, she is stunning.  You’re the only person I’ve ever known to make those styrene Airfix sails looks really convincing!

You don’t mention where the lucky museum is, so we can go and inspect her in the flesh?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Crispin,

Thank you for those kind words and also for all your support throughout the build 👍.

I must admit that I am delighted by how she turned out - my favourite of all the models I have built.

The model will go on display at the Fairlynch Museum in Burleigh Salterton, near Exmouth on the south Devon coast. It is a small museum which covers a broad range of topics of local interest, which includes Rayleigh, Drake and other famous seafarers. 

Fairlynch Museum, Devon

The museum is closed at the moment owing to the Covid bug and it may be a long time before it reopens, unfortunately. I will post a message on BM when that day arrives. But if you would like to see the model at my home and enjoy a day at the seaside, Crispin, then you are most welcome - just pop me a PM 🌊🍰☀ !

Pat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1