F-16C CAS Viper

It´s a Viper...but just not any Viper but a Viper that was part part of one of the USAFs attempts to replace the A-10 as the USAF main CAS plattform.
It did not turn out well and the A-16 was not to be as it was a way to delicate for a powerful 30mm gatling gun.

Nothing tells the story of the CAS Viper and the GAU-13 gun better than this article:

https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-f-16-gun-pod-that-tried-to-shoot-down-the-a-10-wart-1597577525

A Viper in wraparound Euro-1 was simply irresistable so armed with a Tamyia F-16C block 25, Aires exhausts, seat and Caracals CAS Viper decal sheet, a GPU-5
gun pod from the hasegawa weapon set and Rockeyes, Sidewinders and Mavericks from Eduard, I set out to build a true CAS Viper!

The first hurdle to overcome was the Pave Penny pod, the pylon attached to ithe air intake was no where to be seen until I found a resin set for a IAF Netz conversion
from wolfpack. It is the only source for this Pave Penny pod needed for this build just so you know 😛

The second hurdle was that I got plagued by silvering on the Caracal decals...not their fault, somehow skimped on the surface work or something I tried fixing it but
to no avail..the decals decided to stay silvered 😞

Other than that....Tamyia Vipers are fantastic to build, just so you know if you never tried one 😛

OKi here comes the picture avalanche 😛

DSC_3970_zpscqww3f6n.jpg DSC_3972_zpsfwitlwhn.jpg DSC_3974_zpsf4ajrqiv.jpg DSC_3976_zps1bpetnx0.jpg DSC_3978_zpsmpkkvf6o.jpg DSC_3980_zps6wkt4xrh.jpg DSC_3982_zpsdyevhrl0.jpg DSC_3984_zpsaf2f8rzc.jpg DSC_3985_zpsihixi0nj.jpg DSC_3988_zpstkavteua.jpg DSC_3989_zpsfeinuj3h.jpg DSC_3992_zpsapysotrn.jpg DSC_3995_zpsfmupencv.jpg DSC_3997_zps01sazqvl.jpg DSC_3999_zpsqkspqwaw.jpg DSC_4001_zpsksqxufgm.jpg DSC_4003_zpsprfa4cxs.jpg DSC_4005_zpsp35l3aia.jpg DSC_4007_zpsknqfw8og.jpg DSC_4009_zpsjg5eno1f.jpg DSC_4011_zpsr5rpeo0x.jpg DSC_4013_zpscigfso7r.jpg DSC_4015_zps86fhodpf.jpg DSC_4017_zpsoevb8wlz.jpg DSC_4018_zpsash0qhcs.jpg DSC_4019_zps4klvekth.jpg DSC_4020_zpsaxavhhjx.jpg DSC_4021_zpss26q19ep.jpg DSC_4022_zpsmtctxgbv.jpg DSC_4024_zpszkaz1sjo.jpg DSC_4025_zpsusg21h6t.jpg

Cheers!

• Like 53

1 hour ago, SAT69 said:

Extraordinarily well done "F/A-16"! Got to admit that's an impressive load out.

Thanx SAT :D

Based it on a photo I saw.....it was massive!

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

Wow!!

Very nice model

And effective photography!

:thumbsup:

Thanx exdraken :D

the editing of the pictures could have been better though, I was still experimenting with lightroom at this point.

1 hour ago, Sky Keg said:

I really like this version of the famed F-16!!!!!  The photography stands out as much as the subject itself!!!! :goodjob:

Mike

Thanx Mike :D

It was hard to the core but it did still not measure up to the A-10 :P

18 minutes ago, RMCS said:

Outstanding 

Thanx RMCS :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, chris148 said:

Superb modelling,great scheme,nice to see an F16 not in grey

Thanx Chris :D

I agree, I have striking schemes for most of the Vipers in my stash :D

15 hours ago, Blue Monday said:

Always nice to see aircraft in colours that aren't the norm for it! Great model.

BM.

Thanx Blue Monday :D ( a New Order fan I presume)

It looks awesome in euro 1....most jets do actually, too bad the Strike Eagle never got the scheme 😕

10 hours ago, reggie78usmc said:

Amazing work! I love how well Tamiya f-16 kits build up.  I'm working on a Kinetic 1/48 and it's not were near the engineering of the Tamiya kit.  

This is an awesome Viper!

Thanx Reg :D

It is a fantastic piece of plastic engineering, those tammy eggheads know what they are doing.....kinetic vipers are sort of weapons sets with a free kit :P they build up reasonably well too bad they botched the nose.

3 hours ago, phildagreek said:

Nice!

Thanx phildagreek :D

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Really nice this, I've decals & weapons set in 1/72 to do similar. Your build is very inspiring. :)

Steve.

Thanx Steve :D

Happy to inspire and looking forward to your build :)

2 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

Very nice build. I should add this version to my Viper build list...

Serkan

Thanx Serkan :D

Yes you should! :P

• Like 1

Very nice "A-16" :goodjob: I've always wanted to do a Viper in Euro-1 camo but unfortunately the Caracal decals are almost impossible to get nowadays.

Cheers

Markus

Edited by Shorty84

8 hours ago, F-32 said:

Cracking job

Thanx F-32 :D

6 hours ago, Rod bettencourt said:

That looks great!!

Rod

Thanx Rod, very kind of you :D

3 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

Thanks for sharing - a beautiful model.

Having built both Hasegawa and Kinetic Vipers, perhaps I should try a Tamiya version.

Mike

Thanx Mike :D

LoL I got rid of my gawas in favour of the tammy.....only negative to say about the tammy is that they didn't do a twin seater.

3 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

Very nice "A-16" :goodjob: I've always wanted to do a Viper in Euro-1 camo but unfortunately the Caracal decals are almost impossible to get nowadays.

Cheers

Markus

Thanx Markus :D

it's not a A-16, it never got made since fitting a 30mm gatling internally just didn't go that well.... it ruined the avionics everytime it fired :P

in short, the F-16 airframe was just too delicate to handle a real gun :P

2 hours ago, ForestFan said:

Simply superb!

Thanx ForestFan :D

2 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

Oh yes!  That is a fantastic CAS Viper.  Great build, great finish and fantastic work on the jet exhaust ... and a punchy weapon load too - what's not to like?!?  Great work

Thanx Vultures1 :D

I was very pleased with how the exhaust turned out, later the turkey feathers were made in carbon fibre and lost that nice sheen.

2 hours ago, CaracalModels said:

It's a beauty - always nice to see a Viper in this scheme.

Thanx CM :D

Your decals were an inspiration to the whole project :D

Tidy looking Viper, superb work!

10 hours ago, Aigore said:

It looks awesome in euro 1....most jets do actually, too bad the Strike Eagle never got the scheme

Not that I want to put temptation in your way, but at least one F-15B involved in the F-15E trials/development process wore something similar to Euro 1.......

F-15 71-0291 and fully loaded here

Mark.

18 hours ago, Harry Lime said:

Tidy looking Viper, superb work!

Not that I want to put temptation in your way, but at least one F-15B involved in the F-15E trials/development process wore something similar to Euro 1.......

F-15 71-0291 and fully loaded here

Mark.

Thanx Mark :D

yeah, I know the prototypes were painted in euro1....I built the monogram kit in 1/72 as a kid with that scheme :D

16 hours ago, hairystick said:

Gorgeous paint work there! Simply stunning.

I agree, the Tamiya kit is well worth it and is a delight to put together. Nice to see a "non-standard" build of a very common aircraft type.

Thanx hairystick :D

I'm almost allergic to vanilla schemes..... wait until you see my Hornet :P

• Like 1