Italeri Short Stirling kit

Jeff G

Nice kit overall. Panel lines are huge but can be filled to reduce somewhat. 

I'd build another 

• Thanks 1

I built one a couple or so years back and agree with Antb, although the heavy engraving didn't bother me personally. The overall fit was quite nice.  

As I built mine I searched the forums here and found some incredibly nice builds with a lot of useful information.  Besides those panel lines the kit has some inaccuracies (what one doesn't), none too major in my book although some are more easily fixed than others. I only dealt with the easy ones.

It does make a striking model once finished.

Cheers,

Mark

• Thanks 1

I`ve built the A.Mk.IV version and was very happy with it,.....far better than the old Airfi kit,..... just a shame that the panel lines are a bit deep,....but they are not a deal breaker.

Here are a couple of threads I`ve done;

Airfix kit converted;

Italeri kit;

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was quite happy with mine - there were a few useful hints and tips given to me by fellow Britmodellers while I was building it that you may benefit from.

The panel lines are a bit wide but nothing like those carved into their Sunderland. They did learn from experience.

• Thanks 1

Here was my take on it when I finished my build in 2018:

The Italeri kit has left my feeling very cynical about it. I would describe the kit as "mildly infuriating". Some things are right, but most of it is just wrong. But not entirely wrong, just a little bit wrong. As if the designers had five minutes to look at reference material, and then had to rely on notes and memory. I've gone from thinking it's some kind of elaborate joke on scale modelers who want to build a decent model of a Stirling to thinking that perhaps this is a kit that Italeri could have used to show investors to keep them happy. It looks okay in the box, but really isn't.

As I said, the kit gets almost every detail slightly wrong, but the most obvious problem with the kit is the surface detail. I was inspired by a build from a few years ago of Revell's B-17 which the builder covered partly with Scotch tape to cover the (somewhat) exaggerated panel details of that kit. Having built Revell's B-17 myself, I can say that kit is not nearly as bad as Italeri's Stirling, nor as mildly infuriating in terms of getting the strangest things weirdly wrong.

A good example of getting things weirdly wrong is the bomb bay, which I addressed. In the box, the bomb bay looks nice and detailed, with ribs and everything. But upon closer inspection, you'll notice that all the ribs are in the wrong place. Eduard's detail set is an improvement, but those ribs are also in the wrong location.

One of its redeeming factors that I didn't mention anymore was that the overall shape is pretty good.

• Thanks 1