F-51D Korea

This build started life in the Mustang STGB earlier this year but unfortunately I ran out of time ( as usual ) and couldn’t complete it by the deadline.

For those who didn’t follow the GB, the kit is from Meng with an instrument panel by Yahu and decals from the Tamiya F-51 Korean War boxing which were kindly donated by @Wez. The rockets were borrowed from an Eduard overtrees set and the extra radio behind the headrest, often seen on Korean War Mustangs, was adapted from something in my spares box. The finish is not intended to be natural metal but the metallic grey paint which I believe was used on some Korean War F-51s, I used Tamiya XF-56 Metallic Grey with a drop of Light Gull Grey to lighten it up slightly.  These aircraft  became very scruffy particularly around the rear fuselage and the wing undersides and I have attempted to depict this using Flory washed and pastel dust. The napalm tanks were given a few ‘dings ‘ around the nose, sprayed aluminium and then brush painted with Zinc Chromate Yellow to achieve a patchy finish. I used a worn pan scourer to expose some of the aluminium then they  were dirtied up with Flory wash Grime and the orangey staines around the filler caps were made using Citadel Ryza Rust compound daubed on with a cocktail stick.

IMG_2031 IMG_2038 IMG_2028 IMG_2022 IMG_2025 IMG_2029 IMG_2033

IMG_2030

And a couple for those who didn't see the WIP

49434118853_4e6d734351_z.jpg 

49434591421_6ee5a111a3_z.jpg

I hope you like it.

John 

• Like 23

Nice weathered 12 FBS Mustang in late warm trim.  :goodjob:

I particularly like what you’ve done with the napalm tanks; may try to do the same when I build my Tamiya 72nd version of the same aircraft. 

• Thanks 1

Glad to have helped in a small way to the outcome of this beauty, well done John, lovely job! :thumbsup2:

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys, you're very kind. I realised looking back that I had duplicated a couple of the photos ( I was rushing to get it posted before dinner ) so I have replaced the duplicates. I also noticed that I had not applied the ' NO STEP ' marks on the flaps or painted the hand hold under the canopy red, these will be rectified in due course.

I was undecided initially wether this particular aircraft was painted or NMF until someone pointed out to me that the NMF aircraft had darker panels around the exhaust and the painted ones did not, you can see this on the SAAF Mustangs in Korea and those were definitely painted.

Well done, John, good to see it finished. You really made it look like the real thing - a second string workhorse still possessing its faded grandeur 😉👍

Alan 

• Thanks 1