Junkers Ju88 A-1 and Hawker Hurricane Mk.I - The Bromborough Dock Incident

The postie dropped this off yesterday, but due to shielding requirements, and with Mrs N, being the responsible adult out of the two of us, suggesting that the safer option would be to refrain from opening the box for 24 hours, I have managed to keep my grubby mitts off the package until this afternoon. :frantic: :bounce: But now the genie is out of the bottle.

Anyway, enough of all that nonsense, this is my first entry for the group build, and the plan is to finish it as either one of the KG.30 aircraft that targeted Driffield airfield on August 15th 1940 (fortunately some KG30 markings are included in the box), or as the Ju.88 shot down by three Hurricanes of 312 squadron when based at Speke on the 8th October 1940, but I would have to see if I can source some unit markings for that aircraft. 

50094125787_85643a2ed2_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50093309133_99dae4fb3b_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

With both aircraft coming under fire from Hurricanes, I hope to add a second build of one of the other aircraft involved, if time permits.

• Like 20

Thought I saw an A-1 in 1/72 a few years back, but the only one I could find was 1/48. I may end up modifying my ancient Airfix A-4.

Pete

• Like 1

That kit looks really nice!  I have one on its way in the post, and I'm looking forward to it even more now after seeing this.  Good luck with it, I'll watch this build with interest!

Matt

• Like 2

10 hours ago, PeterB said:

Thought I saw an A-1 in 1/72 a few years back, but the only one I could find was 1/48. I may end up modifying my ancient Airfix A-4.

Pete

Pete,

Where on earth did you find a 1/48 A-1. I've been looking for one for years and never seen one. The one I'm doing is a A-4 that I'm heavily modifying to form a A-1.

The kit looks good here. I've been looking for on that was operational on the 15th of August as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Where on earth did you find a 1/48 A-1. I've been looking for one for years and never seen one. The one I'm doing is a A-4 that I'm heavily modifying to form a A-1.

Zvezda had a kit a while ago, but Revell have a brand new 1/72 Battle of Britain Ju88A-1, it came out in the last couple of weeks.

• Like 1

Hi Greg,

Might be wrong about that - could be getting mixed up with the ICM 1/48 A5 which Scalemates say was released in 2015. and which could probably be turned into an A1 fairly easily as only the wings would need shortening in theory. I am considering modifying my Airfix A4 to an A1 - the only difficult part is the rear canopy as Airfix incorrectly moulded the engine nacelles and props as resembling those from the A1 - shortening the wings should be easy. The alternative is the A5 which had the A1 fuselage, canopy and engines but the A4 longer wing. In fact some late ones even had the A4 style rear canopy as well so technically the Airfix kit is closer to a late production A5 than an A4. Assuming you have an "accurate" A4 then you will need to do a bit of work on the nacelles and replace the props.

If I cannot find a suitable canopy in my spares box I will either have to modify the Airfix one as best I can, or splash out on a falcon set as they do one for the A1 I believe.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB

9 hours ago, Greg Law said:

I've been looking for on that was operational on the 15th of August as well.

Greg, you may find this Junkers 88 link useful - scroll down to relevant date. If I choose the 15th Aug option I'll probably build the 88A 4D+KL of 3./KG.30, shot down by a 73 Sqn Hurricane.

Will look in on this build, my local model shop has one coming for me. I have the A4 but haven't really looked at it yet but the contents look good and if it goes together as well the Halifax I'm doing should be a peach to build.

Davey.

6 hours ago, PeterB said:

...shortening the wings should be easy. The alternative is the A5 which had the A1 fuselage, canopy and engines but the A4 longer wing. In fact some late ones even had the A4 style rear canopy as well so technically the Airfix kit is closer to a late production A5 than an A4. Assuming you have an "accurate" A4 then you will need to do a bit of work on the nacelles and replace the props.

Pete

As I'm going to "update" my three A-1:s to later variants I do have three sets of Revell's short wing tips and ailerons, and probably at least one single mg position rear canopy that I don't need at all. PM me if you want them. V-P

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Greg, you may find this Junkers 88 link useful - scroll down to relevant date. If I choose the 15th Aug option I'll probably build the 88A 4D+KL of 3./KG.30, shot down by a 73 Sqn Hurricane.

Thanks for the link. I had a bit of fun cross referencing the list with my library.  I noted that not all aircraft shot down were on the list. For example 4D-AD is not on the list for 9th of September.  This is one I might do. However it is a A-5, so it might become a second build. The interesting thing about this build is Nicolas Trudgian clearly used the photo of the crash site for his excellent painting 'Hurricane country ' . The wreck was on the beach in reality,  but he painted in to a hill scene by a village.  It is my favourite print that I have. I'm looking forward to seeing your build.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Greg,

Might be wrong about that - could be getting mixed up with the ICM 1/48 A5 which Scalemates say was released in 2015. and which could probably be turned into an A1 fairly easily as only the wings would need shortening in theory. I am considering modifying my Airfix A4 to an A1 - the only difficult part is the rear canopy as Airfix incorrectly moulded the engine nacelles and props as resembling those from the A1 - shortening the wings should be easy. The alternative is the A5 which had the A1 fuselage, canopy and engines but the A4 longer wing. In fact some late ones even had the A4 style rear canopy as well so technically the Airfix kit is closer to a late production A5 than an A4. Assuming you have an "accurate" A4 then you will need to do a bit of work on the nacelles and replace the props.

If I cannot find a suitable canopy in my spares box I will either have to modify the Airfix one as best I can, or splash out on a falcon set as they do one for the A1 I believe.

Cheers

Pete

Thanks for the comments Pete. I will answer this on  my thread as I don't want to interfere with John's.

• Like 1

That looks great John and really looking forward to following this thread. Most of us have thought about backdating one of the more populous A-4 kits into an A-1 so it’s great to see this version now readily available OOB. I’m tempted to get one when they appear down under. 

Cheers and good luck.. Dave 

• Like 1

I shouldn't watch this. I have an Italeri Ju-88 A-4 with a LF models resin A-1 conversion & I just know if I watch this I'll buy one & never build what I have. Carry on please & I'll pretend not to be looking. :)

Steve.

• Haha 4

Hi John,

you are now dabbling in the super big scale!!! Great choice!

And this is a beautiful kit, from what I have seen.

All the best with it!

Regards to Caron and the Black Beauty!

JR

• Like 1

On 15/07/2020 at 16:11, jean said:

Hi John,

you are now dabbling in the super big scale!!! Great choice!

And this is a beautiful kit, from what I have seen.

All the best with it!

Regards to Caron and the Black Beauty!

JR

Hi Jean.

Thanks for your comment. I want to wrap up a couple of other builds before I focus on this one, so I haven't started yet. It will give me time to check the instructions and paint stocks etc. If it looks like a Ju.88 at the end, then I will be more than happy.

As for the Black Beauty, I keep searching her for a hidden watch. At around 4:30pm she will start to remind me that it is time for her tea. So it's no peace until we head off to the kitchen, where I tell her to 'wait in', and she promptly heads to her bed, whilst I weigh out her food. 

Now if I could only get Caron to be as obedient, but I guess that after almost 38 years of marriage, that is a long lost cause. :lol:

Stay safe.

Regards

John

• Haha 5

Hi John,

I am sure the kit will morph into a beautiful Ju 88 under your expert hands.

I cannot comment on the dog, as the last time we had one here was a cocker spaniel in the early nineties. Now with a full troop of baboons living with us permanently, having a dog is a non-starter.

As for the wife, we must have bought similar models!

Take care

JR

• Haha 4

On 7/9/2020 at 2:51 PM, nimrod54 said:

The postie dropped this off yesterday, but due to shielding requirements, and with Mrs N, being the responsible adult out of the two of us, suggesting that the safer option would be to refrain from opening the box for 24 hours, I have managed to keep my grubby mitts off the package until this afternoon. :frantic: :bounce: But now the genie is out of the bottle.

Anyway, enough of all that nonsense, this is my first entry for the group build, and the plan is to finish it as either one of the KG.30 aircraft that targeted Driffield airfield on August 15th 1940 (fortunately some KG30 markings are included in the box), or as the Ju.88 shot down by three Hurricanes of 312 squadron when based at Speke on the 8th October 1940, but I would have to see if I can source some unit markings for that aircraft. 

by John L, on Flickr

Hi John,

When you say "source some unit markings" do you mean badges - ie for KG 30 a diving eagle on either white, red or yellow shield or the umbrella version, or is another KG for the one shot down by 312 Squad? If so which Geschwader/Gruppe/Staffel are you after as I have a good source for markings and use it to make DIY decs. I can probably produce a template for you to make your own or even complete decs if you need them?

For example this is KG4

KG4

and this is KG 100

KG100

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 4