Junkers Ju88 A-1 and Hawker Hurricane Mk.I - The Bromborough Dock Incident

On 28/08/2020 at 04:50, Stew Dapple said:

Coming along nicely John B) 

Cheers,

Stew

On 28/08/2020 at 08:09, Greg Law said:

Looking good. I should never had taken the gunners seat out. 

Thanks chaps, not much done over the last couple of days, but I did make a start on detailing the floor of the observers position. I hope to get the nose section finished next week and then I can crack on with the getting the fuselage assembled.

50283213246_d0f7b89281_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 8

I've almost finished with the cockpit details, adding the BZG 2 sight and fixing that and floor section in place earlier today. Tonight I positioned the tail wheel and buttoned up the fuselage, then glued the cockpit to that assembly. That just leaves the instrument panel to finish things off.

50299090213_c6b5b0cff4_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50299090088_81cbd43b79_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50299774426_28bb19e642_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 10

15 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Wow, that's a convincingly busy looking cockpit John B) 

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew, the kit parts do make up into an impressive looking cockpit, but I'm sure that the AM boys will come up with further improvements, particularly to the rudder pedal assemblies.

Work has continued today and, having previously assembled the wings and fin, the remaining control surfaces were put together. Then I finished the instrument panel using the kit decals and fixed that in place, followed by the first of the glazed sections on the underside..

50302026481_995e32e396_c.jpg%5B

by John L, on Flickr

50301338328_2b6014ae05_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50302026266_259f780fae_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50302026356_cf608ff4e2_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 10

On 03/09/2020 at 19:38, Johnson said:

The i/p looks very good John.

Thanks Charlie, I am pleased with the way it has turned out. All that it took was some careful positioning of the kit decal, plenty of Micro Sol, and a bit of heat from Mrs N's hairdryer settled it down nicely.

On 04/09/2020 at 07:23, Jabba said:

That cockpit does look very much full to the brim with stuff. Very much like the instrument panel. 

Cheers Jabba, Things are pretty cramped in there and it's hard to imagine how a crew of  four were able to squeeze into that space. 

On 04/09/2020 at 07:23, Jabba said:

There seems to be a lot of work to get all the parts of the fuselage to line up, is that so?

Everything lines up pretty easily with a bit of extra checking of the alignment of panel lines etc., and tacking the various cockpit parts in place with small dots of glue before fully committing to fixing them in place. The observers seat was aligned with the rest of the cockpit by making adjustments whilst the glue joint was still soft, then left to set up. The cockpit assembly sits on a lower skin section that runs back under forward section of the rear fuselage and has a positive location point.  

In short, Revell have gone to great lengths to make the job of lining up the various parts as easy as possible.

• Like 4

We're getting into the final stages of assembly now, the wings and empennage have been glued on, which leaves the nacelles/engines as the last main job. After that it's things like the gondola, main undercarriage and the rest of the greenhouse.

50304583193_f1acc9afd8_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50305419717_6be70e44fa_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 7

Hi John,

brilliant build, and so full of well rendered details.

As you say, it is a busy place and dodging bullets must have been rather difficult!

Great modelling!

I definitely want one of these!!!!

Have fun.

JR

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi John,

brilliant build, and so full of well rendered details.

As you say, it is a busy place and dodging bullets must have been rather difficult!

Great modelling!

I definitely want one of these!!!!

Have fun.

JR

Thanks very much Jean. I have found this image of the packed cockpit on Ju88.net shown in the following link Ju88cockpit. You can also see the red line that runs across the forward two windows, I think that this was something to do with the maximum dive angle. I'm not sure how I am going to recreate all of those window blinds though. :winkgrin:

John

• Like 1

Hi John,

did you really say cramped? They had less room than in today's cattle class!

Re the red line... maybe forget about it?

For the blind, what works quite well is Rizla cigarette paper, for the maniacs who still roll their own fags...  Does that paper still exist?

Cheers

JR

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A little bit more work done on the Hurricane in an effort to get it ready for some paint. I have removed the moulded lights and replaced them with sections of clear sprue, and fixed the rudder and tailplanes in position.

50311658861_34589201a2_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50311831272_47713c0fae_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 8