Junkers Ju88 A-1 and Hawker Hurricane Mk.I - The Bromborough Dock Incident

12 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Looking good, looks like yours fits so much better than mine did 

Thanks Stu, I have still had to use a smear of filler in one or two places, but in general that has been due to my carelessness when aligning the parts. I did find the cockpit a bit of a  fiddly assembly to complete, and I kept a careful check at each stage to make sure that the work done so far would sit between the nose sections properly, making adjustments where necessary before finally gluing them in place.

Cheers 

John

• Like 1

Having painted on rough patches of the lighter green yesterday, I set about masking off the splinter pattern on the fuselage this morning, and then got on with brush painting some layers of the darker of the two colours this afternoon. There are a couple of areas around the tail and wings that need some touch up, then I can press on with the adding last of the details and decals.

50524489543_d1758b17fb_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50525377247_c5ee4ac83c_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50524489763_d733806fbc_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50525217716_f1ab941fd5_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

For those of you who may be interested in reading a bit more about this action, I have included a link to an online booklet detailing the events and some personal accounts of the  Bromborough Dock Incident here.

• Like 12

6 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Great job on the splinter camo John, a very neat job indeed.

Thanks Craig. I had almost forgotten to finish painting the nacelles, but I have just tidied those up. There are a few spots of blue to touch in and that will see the main painting work complete.

• Like 1

Hi John,

your splinter camo is spotless as usual. 

Beautiful build!

And what a fascinating micro-story in the grand scheme of things.

Waiting for decals!

JR

• Like 1

On 27/10/2020 at 18:59, Cookenbacher said:

Impressive scheme work as usual John.

Thanks very much Cookie. I am still getting use to working with Revell Aqua paints, and I have followed @PlaStix suggestions for brushing them on. This one seems to be working out OK.

On 27/10/2020 at 20:41, jean said:

Hi John,

your splinter camo is spotless as usual. 

Beautiful build!

And what a fascinating micro-story in the grand scheme of things.

Waiting for decals!

JR

Hi Jean,

Thanks a lot for your comment. You will be pleased to know that, after adding two gloss coats yesterday, I made a start on the decals this morning and now have all of the Balkenkreuz, along with a few of the stencils on. Having just had some lunch I will be back at it shortly and should manage to get the M7+DK codes sorted. I have scaled to size and printed the 2./KGr 806 emblem that @PeterB provided, they need to have a coat or two of Liquid Decal Film to seal them before I can add those and touch in any edges.

50540076408_97120082d5_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50540076318_67864f6bf7_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

This is how things stand at present.

50540943907_f0ecb75809_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50540802791_ecea4a69d9_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50540802881_014ecfca3d_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

The canopies for this kit are probably the best fitting that I have come across, and I plan to mask and paint those up before I fix them in place. It also reduces the risk of me snapping the guns off. :)

Cheers

John

• Like 5

1 hour ago, nimrod54 said:

I am still getting use to working with Revell Aqua paints, and I have followed @PlaStix suggestions for brushing them on.

Looks fantastic John.

When I see work like yours (and Stix) I do wonder if I should put my airbrush down and go back to hairy sticks.

Was this a build-up of paint in multiple layers, or a one coat approach?

Cheers,

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Johnson said:

Looks fantastic John.

When I see work like yours (and Stix) I do wonder if I should put my airbrush down and go back to hairy sticks.

Was this a build-up of paint in multiple layers, or a one coat approach?

Cheers,

That's very kind of you Charlie, thanks a lot. Following Stix example, I thinned the paint with water and brushed on a thin coat of the chosen colour, making sure that everything was covered and that the paint didn't pool around any of the detail. I worked in sections and once I had finished one area I checked it over again for pooling and brush marks, carefully removing those and taking care not to pull the paint off. I gradually built up the depth of colour with more thinned layers until I had achieved a good even colour. For the blue underside I brushed on 5 thin coats before I was happy with what I had done. 

I do use an airbrush, the Hurricane was painted using Colourcoat enamels and my Aztek airbrush. But because I do not have a dedicated area for this, I have to spray outside and the weather at this time of year isn't often conducive to doing that, so this is looking like it could be a good alternative.

I Just need to sort out my weathering skills now, I usually muck things up at that stage so I don't do that very often.

Cheers

John

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I managed to get the aircrafts code letters on the fuselage yesterday, but still have to make a decision regarding the underwing codes, I need to check up and see how they were displayed in Oct. 1940. That leaves the rest of the stencils to finish the majority of the decal work off and I hope that I can get most of that done today. 

50544325712_d0648a15d1_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

In a previous post I mentioned how well the cockpit glazing fits on this kit and thought that I would take the opportunity to take a photo and share it here. These have only been popped into place ie. no glue.

50543459723_13672ae023_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Time now for me to push on and try to get these builds wrapped up for Saturday.

• Like 8

Looking very nice indeed John, and I think you should be on schedule to finish on Saturday by the look of it B) 

If you can't find definitive proof otherwise I would guess that the underwing codes would be just the individual aircraft letter, outboard of the cross on each wing :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

On 29/10/2020 at 17:31, Stew Dapple said:

Looking very nice indeed John, and I think you should be on schedule to finish on Saturday by the look of it B) 

If you can't find definitive proof otherwise I would guess that the underwing codes would be just the individual aircraft letter, outboard of the cross on each wing :) 

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks very much Stew, and my apologies for the delayed reply. I took your advice and added a single letter D to the underside of each wing.

I completed work on both builds today, though it was touch and go with the Ju 88, having finished rigging the aerial around 10:45pm and still having to take photos, I only just made the gallery.  

John

P.S. Looks like our posts crossed.

• Like 1

Hi John,

both builds look smashing, although I have a weakness for the Ju 88. Yours is stunning. Definitely a kit I will get one day!

You must have posted these photos in the gallery with seconds to spare!!!! A lone lit window in your street, to the chagrin of the opposite neighbors!!!! I guess they would have been more understanding had you not been playing heavy metal music at full volume.... Men will be men!

Brilliant!

Congrats John.

JR

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Those both look really good. Nice going. 

Steve.

Thanks Steve. They turned out well, perhaps I should build the other two Hurricanes of Yellow Section to complete the set.

John

1 hour ago, jean said:

Hi John,

both builds look smashing, although I have a weakness for the Ju 88. Yours is stunning. Definitely a kit I will get one day!

You must have posted these photos in the gallery with seconds to spare!!!! A lone lit window in your street, to the chagrin of the opposite neighbors!!!! I guess they would have been more understanding had you not been playing heavy metal music at full volume.... Men will be men!

Brilliant!

Congrats John.

JR

Cheers Jean. It was touch and go getting photos into the gallery, in fact I was in the process of editing the Hurricane post to replace the images for a larger size when I ran out of time. As for the playing of heavy metal music, I don't think that they would have been that offended - but then again anything musical would be much better than the torture of our neighbours Karaoke Friday Nights. :lol: 

John

1 hour ago, Johnson said:

Congrats John, nice kits beautifully executed. Last entries in the gallery too! 

Thanks a lot Charlie. I just managed to scrape them home but, through rushing, I had to re-glue parts like undercarriage doors that I had dislodged, so if faced with a similar situation I don't think that I would do that again.

John

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I said that I would add a few more photos of the models today, so here they are.

50554172858_9ec7cabdc5_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50554173008_2f7f514722_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50554174498_8a7fb8ac8e_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50554906846_e8c7e4d20b_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50554173783_2993929d1b_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50555040497_671f514aa8_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

And this one is for @PeterB. The 2/Kgr.806 emblem worked out really well, once I had got it scaled to what I thought was a suitable size. Thanks yet again for your assistance.

50554173188_5fc3d11419_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 2

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Very well done indeed John, they both look fantastic.

The Ju-88 is a work of art, a great kit exceptionally well built and painted.

Thanks for your kind comment Craig. The Ju-88 was a pleasure to build and I feel that the quality of the kit has helped with the final result.

• Like 1