Junkers Ju88 A-1 and Hawker Hurricane Mk.I - The Bromborough Dock Incident

The Hurricane is looking very nice.

Now don't mess up the exhaust stain like I did this morning. I'm having to repaint the area from the exhausts to the trailing edge of the wing on both sides. I was two minutes from completion. 

• Sad 1

@PeterB, @Johnson, @jean, @Jabba, @Cookenbacher

Many thanks for your comments chaps. Please accept my apologies for not getting back sooner, but because we are on a stay-cation next week I have been trying to get a few things out of the way.

13 hours ago, Greg Law said:

The Hurricane is looking very nice.

Now don't mess up the exhaust stain like I did this morning. I'm having to repaint the area from the exhausts to the trailing edge of the wing on both sides. I was two minutes from completion. 

Thanks Greg. Sorry to hear about your exhaust staining woes, I hope that you have got it sorted.

The Hurricane has been set aside to allow the paint to harden off before I carry on with the next stage. Meanwhile, I have made a start on the Ju.88's engines. The Revell kit supplies four exhaust stacks of the same style (5 outlets and a block before a final outlet), yet, as pointed out by @PeterB in his Ju.88 A1 build and backed up by the painting instructions, the inboard stacks are slightly different - having 4 outlets before the block which is longer. 

Image of inboard engine which shows fewer exhaust outlets, one which is hidden behind the shroud at front.

50333961057_08af141488_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

My solution was to modify a pair of the kit parts, filling the the last exhaust port with a sliver of plastic card and using some superglue to fill any gaps. I then cleaned up the area and filed the block to shape. 

In the photo below, the top two items are the originals and the lower pair are the modified kit parts

50333960947_43ce3f2799_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 6

Hi John,

good work on the exhausts. They look as good as new!

Great show.

JR

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jean said:

Hi John,

good work on the exhausts. They look as good as new!

Great show.

JR

4 hours ago, Johnson said:

Neat work John.

Thanks for your comments Jean and Charlie.  I have had another look at the outboard exhausts and they appear to have six exhaust otlets before the block shape, so I decided that further modification of those kit parts was required. That meant removing the final exhaust outlet and fixing that under the shroud to become the first outlet. The remainder of the part is then spaced to form the rest of the exhaust with the block becoming the final stage.

It now looks something like this

50333961192_6e62806425_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I have done that work but I will have to reprofile the rear of the exhaust part to allow it to slip over the wing/nacelle join.

• Like 1

Hi John,

I believe the exhausts were handed, ie one type on the left of the engine and the other on the right - not inboard and outboard! So Port outboard and Starboard inboard are the same and so on - it was an engine thing irrespective of which wing they were on!

exhaust-crop

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Confused 2

Hi John,

Not sure if you really meant confused or perhaps sad because you have fitted them already? The left hand side of each engine was as above with the short run of stubs and the right as below with the long run AFAIK. Same on both wings. Seems my resin replacement ones are a bit wrong too as they only have 3 and 5 normal stubs instead of 4 and 6, unless the pics are of a later version, which is possible as the this pic is a fighter version.

exhaust2-crop

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

Both reasons Peter, I have already fitted them as per the kit instructions, but I have also come across a couple of images in the Chris Goss book on the 'Junkers Ju88 The Early Years' (one taken from the port side the other from the stbd) which show the larger number of outlets on the outboard side. Unfortunately because of the angle of the photographs there is not enough of the opposite engine on show to reveal the layout of the inboard exhaust, anyway it is what it is now and I will have to live with it.

Thanks for taking the time to share the images though.

Problem with photos is they are often mirrored.  One thing I'm certain of is the engines are setup same. If the 5 stack exhaust is on the outboard side of the engine, on the other engine it is on the inside side of the engine.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Greg Law said:

One thing I'm certain of is the engines are setup same.

Thanks for the info Greg, but unfortunately I had already glued the parts up. Having thought about it, in a wartime situation it would have made more sense for the engine set up to be the same, purely for ease of manufacture and supply of spares.

Not to worry John.

I have now realised that mine are wrong - the resin ones were apparently intended to not have the front stack as that was under the cowling, so I should have mounted them a couple of mil further back, instead of fiddling around to get the front stack partly under the blister.  Yours has got to be more accurate than my lash up, and at this scale it will be barely noticeable.

Pete

I agree with Pete. Only a few experts will notice that kind of detail. On my Resin Engines they appear to be on the opposite sides of the engines than shown in the photographs.  I'm not going to worry about it. They could only be put on one way, so it isn't my mistake, that is if it is a mistake.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Having finished my Harrier GR.7, it's time to rescue this one from Page 5 of the BoB build subjects. I made some progress with the Hurricane yesterday, adding landing lights, undercarriage legs, and the resin replacements for the exhausts and main wheels. That was followed by a couple of clear gloss coats and then left to dry overnight.

50497819296_1506b486dc_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50497109878_eba9035f1e_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50497971637_a09578f6a9_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

This morning I made a start on the decals and finished that work a short while ago. I will seal those in with more clear coats later.

50497971492_7279876592_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50497109998_2069126e07_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 9

26 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Well worth rescuing John. And the Harrier's nice too!

17 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Hurricane looks great John, really nice work. 

Thanks very much guys, I hope I can get this wrapped up over the next couple of days, then I can push on with the -88A.

John

• Like 1

I sealed the decals on the Hurricane with a couple of gloss clear coats and have set that aside for the time being. That allowed me to finish the last of the assembly work on the Ju88, adding the gondola to the underside and the undercarriage legs. This morning I masked off the glazing that I have added so far and painted the underside, brushing on a few thin coats of Revel Aqua 49 Hellblau. I will mask up for the upper colours later and start to add the lightest of those first.

50510192717_e2f41f39d8_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 7

19 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Looking good. I was wondering how you were getting on with this one. looks very familiar. 

Cheers Greg. I brushed a couple of coats of the lighter green on the wings and tailplanes today, I have tried to lay it on in the rough pattern of the camouflage. I'[[ take a photo tomorrow before I start with the darker green.

12 hours ago, Jabba said:

Lovely finish on the Hurricane, and the Ju-88 is progressing well.

Thanks Jabba, the next job on the Hurricane is my least favourite part of a build (which is why I don't do it very often), a bit of weathering, and then I can add the top clear coats.

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

This project is coming along really nicely John.

The Hurricane looks superb and the Ju-88 is fantastic too, lovely smooth coat on the RLM-65.

Thanks a lot Craig. I thought that I would snatch a quick 15mins, whilst Mrs N was having a chat on the phone, to get some of the second colour on the tail, and then grabbed a couple of photos of progress.

50514367262_a0e39ef4f6_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50513489523_68292470f8_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 6