Mach 2 Martin Seamaster

1 hour ago, Ad-4N said:

Holy cow, someone finished a Mach 2 kit and lived to talk about it.  My hat is off to you, my man.  Fantastic work.  I built their PBM for my dad (a labor of love) and it almost killed me.  

http://www.scaleworkshop.com/gallery/pbm5rl_1.htm

That Mariner looks pretty awesome to me

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CT Modeller said:

That Mariner looks pretty awesome to me

You are very kind.  No modelling company in the world has such great subjects but require so much work as Mach 2.  You addressed their biggest issues: clear parts.  When I first saw your Seamaster (before I read your narrative) I thought "My goodness, he must have polished the ()*)(*(*&*&^& out of that canopy.  Then I saw you were much smarter than that and vacuformed it.  Well played.  Their non-clear plastic is not terrible.  I took the photos with a Cannon AE-35 with black and white film to get that late 1940s NAS Norfolk vibe.  

• Like 1

On 7/9/2020 at 8:39 AM, John_W said:

Beautiful build.

If you didn't know it was real you would believe it was a Gerry Anderson creation.

"Stand by for action."  Cue drums.  

• Haha 1

65 years ago today the Seamaster flew for the first time! Your build is a great tribute. The beaching trolley is a nice little model too and the contrast in colours is good.

BM.

• Like 1

Superb - great result and from a Mach 2 kit as well!  One of the all time great might-have-beens and a last fling near the  end of the USN's flying boat era- shame they didn't earmark one for preservation.  I remember the old Revel 'box scale' prototype but always through the P6M-2 with its redesigned nose looked much better, although for the pilots it was supposed to be a bit of a greenhouse.

• 10 months later...

Just found this thread as I am getting prepared to tackle the Mach 2 Seamaster (which from what I read is like an exam to move from one level of modelling to another). But I still have not mastered the art of vacuforming, so will probably be stuck with polishing the original canopy. Unless someone knows of an aftermarket replacement for this? 

• Like 1

This is the 3rd Mach 2 P6M i've seen completed; one on ARC, one by Robin Powell and now this one. I think this is something of a record for completed Mach 2 kits.

-d-

• 5 months later...
On 11/7/2021 at 11:33 PM, Marcello Rosa said:

This is a fantastic model. I have one in the stash but like you, keep struggling with the sheer size and where I am going to keep it...

Where (or how) did you get the new canopy?

Hi Marcello. Best of luck with your Seamaster. My canopy was made by the plunge method using clear acetate sheet. The mould was a Milliput shape created on a plasticard base. The pictures I hope show what I'm talking about. The second picture shows the new canopy next to that awful kit version.

Chris

IMG_3756

IMG_3754

• Like 5

On 10/11/2021 at 20:45, CT Modeller said:

Hi Marcello. Best of luck with your Seamaster. My canopy was made by the plunge method using clear acetate sheet. The mould was a Milliput shape created on a plasticard base. The pictures I hope show what I'm talking about. The second picture shows the new canopy next to that awful kit version.

Chris

IMG_3756

IMG_3754

Thank you. I will do some reading and see if this is within my level of expertise...