Mi-24D and V - external differences

Bjorn

I am planning to build the Zvezda Mi-24V, and am looking for different decal alternatives. So the question is, which are the external differences between the V and D versions? Is it possible to build a D from the Zvezda boxing?

If I remember correctly the sensors in the front (IR/  camera/ laser tracker??) are of different shape. The V has the shutter window type... the D some strangely stone shaped part.

Weapons load as another diff. (anti tank missiles / pylons/ launchers on the outer wings )

I have just completed a major research piece on Mil Mi-24s for one of the publications I contribute to and one thing I have learnt is to take care with assumptions since there are so many sub-variants and sub-sub-variants of the Hind out there !. exdraken is correct in stating that the arrangement of equipment on the 'chin' of the Mil Mi-24 differs between the D and V variant. Both sub-variants were/are operated by the Czech Air Force so, if you can get hold of one, Eduard's 1:72 Mil Mi-24 Hind duo is a good reference point since it includes the Zvedza kit (actually 2) together with the resin and P/E to reproduce one of the Mi-24D marking options in the kit. I am not sure if any aftermarket manufacturer produces a separate conversion set for the D variant. It should also be noted that the Eduard kit includes at least one of the sprues from the Zvedza Mil Mi-24A 'glasshouse' variant kit too, so you may need to buy this kit for some parts - I'm not sure. A quick glance through the 15 different marking options included in the kit also reveals that no two machines appeared to be identical even though they are all either Mi-24Ds or Mi-24Vs !. They all have slightly different aerial and sensor fits, defensive aid suites etc. If you know which particular aircraft you are going to model, I would be happy to provide some scans of the Eduard instruction sheet to try and illustrate the main differences between the D and V sub-variants. PM me if you are interested.

HTH   

• Like 1

Thanks! But I think I am getting mad... I have looked at numerous pictures of Bulgarian Mi-24D and have compared them to Eduard's 1/72 Hind instruction sheet. And the only major difference that I can recognize is a slightly different shape of the exhausts, other differences are just small details, antennas, etc. Maybe also load, but to me this is of minor interest. The chin arrangement seems to me to be just the same. All other differences are as far as I can see - and just as HTH points out - individual differences rather than signs of different versions. 

7 hours ago, Tiger331 said:

It should also be noted that the Eduard kit includes at least one of the sprues from the Zvedza Mil Mi-24A 'glasshouse' variant kit too, so you may need to buy this kit for some parts - I'm not sure.

The only parts of Zvezda's Hind-A sprue required for the Eduard Hind-D are the rocket pods and AT-2 "Swatter" parts. 

7 hours ago, Bjorn said:

And the only major difference that I can recognize is a slightly different shape of the exhausts, other differences are just small details, antennas, etc. Maybe also load, but to me this is of minor interest. The chin arrangement seems to me to be just the same.

The chin parts are definetely different on the real thing - Raguga-F on the D, Raduga-Sh on the V and beyond. 

Early Hind-E's had the same exhausts as the D, later aircraft built with provision for the AVU exhaust cooling system had the later style exhausts.

Cheers,

Andre

8 hours ago, Bjorn said:

'''other differences are just small details, antennas, etc.

This is my understanding,

It is only small visual differences between the Mi-24D Hind D and the Mi-24V Hind E, the major differences were the more powerful engines and the change of weapons.

The strongest visual difference to identify 24D from 24V is the missile guidance aerial under the port side nose, it became more teardrop shaped and was fixed, replacing the moveable and rounded shape version.  The Reduga IR sight housing on the lower stb'd side has an extra shutter/door assembly.

The Shturm AT-6 'Spiral' missiles on the V were launched from tubes, rather than the rail launchers for the Falanga AT-2 'Swatter' missiles on the D.

The exhausts got modified for fitment of the suppressor boxes.

On page 19 of the book I linked to above (a free download!) there are good comparison photos of D and V nose sections next to each other.   

Having said all that, things change over the life of a helicopter, especially one so long lived and with so many users.

• Like 1

have a look at the lower left rtating sensor pod (irregular rounded shape) for the Mi-24D

5ace3ca5146e7120008b4577?width=1100&form

the V (W in Polish service) has a fixed (black ) radome covered sensor in the same place

stickers-mi-24-hind-attack-helicopter.jp

does this help?

with clearer explanation:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/282930-difference-between-mi-24d-and-mi-24v/&do=findComment&comment=2696035

more on variants :

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-main-differences-between-Mil-Mi-24-and-Mil-Mi-35-helicopters-How-do-I-identify-them-by-the-naked-eye

• Like 2