Skala IL-2. Oh I do like a challenge.

Oh I do like a challenge!

I am just coming to the end of the Tiger Moth build so started digging around in the stash for my next project, i previously completed 2 Airfix IL-3 so though that I would add another to the shelf. The Skala boxing is very bright as is the plastic inside which looks like bright green marble! 

Two Sprue with various defects, main problem is the props (see photo) which is the result of a  'short shot', those undercarriage supports are deformed as well.

Two canopy's of clear plastic contained in a separate clear bag both canopy's have damage to the side, whats annoying is that their is a hand written quality ticket in the Box!

My other two Stormovich are IL-3's so ill do this one as an IL-2.spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

That green isn't bad, no wonder the Soviets decided to paint their cockpit like that :D

2 hours ago, Parrish said:

Two canopy's of clear plastic contained in a separate clear bag both canopy's have damage to the side, whats annoying is that their is a hand written quality ticket in the Box!

Just depends on their standards. If their only criteria was that all parts are there, (planned) target accomplished.

Will be interesting what you can make out of it.

Cheers

Markus

• Haha 1

This kit is kind of a legend. In 1986 I was 11 and got one, but in white plastic.

But to be honest it was probably worst 1/72 kit of the ZTS Plastyk (its the name of the producer, "skala" means just "scale"). PZL 37 Łoś, Yak 1, Czapla were better, both in fit, accuracy and detail. But of course it is buildable. Good luck!

I remember one of my friends converted it into Fairey Battle (in commie Poland in '80 there was no access to the western kits).

• Like 1

Progress today revolves around sorting the canopy out, im going for a IL-2 so no rear gunner, however as you can see the canopy is cast flat with no step.

The other canopy is 2-3mm too short in length, I have damage to the side of the IL-2 canopy (see previous post) which has to be sorted, so what did I do?

I cut the IL-2 canopy and the sanded down the rear thereby removing the damaged area, looks a lot better and I am sure after some fetling will look good.

I will have to attack those canopy slides on the side body of the fuselage, they are far too fat/big for the scale.

spacer.png

IL-3 Canopy too short.

spacer.pngIL-2 Canopy no side step.

spacer.pngSolution is to cut and shut.

spacer.pngAnd here's those window slide rails that need thinning down. (see above)

• Like 2

Very basic cockpit completed, wont see anything with that canopy on anyway! I will sit Pilot 'Yuri' into his seat when hes ready as no pilot came with the kit 'Yuri' will be looking very much like a British Spitfire pilot.

The two fuselage half's are now together and the concave air intake fitted to the top of the front fuselage.

Rear tail plane to attach next and those Props (short shot) again Spitfires to the rescue, although they are a little short at the moment.

Erecting a Log cabin this next week so their will not be much progress for a while.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Parrish
spelling

• 2 weeks later...