Hi there

A few years ago I built the B-36 FIghter CONveyer using a Monogram B-36 and an Italeri Thunderflash. An interesting concept for lomg range reconnaissence that required the B-36 to transport the Thunderflash part of the way to the target, release it and then allow the Thuderflash to dock onto a trapeze sytem and be recovered. This was done afew times back in the 1950`s. When fully loaded there was 6’’ of ground clearance to the Thunderflash fuel tanks. The other clearance problem was resolved after take off by lowering the Thunderflash on its trapeze so the B-36 undercarriage could be retracted.

The B-36 needed the bomb bay opening up in size and supports making. Various antenna were scratch built. The Thunderflash was bult out of the box with the stabilisers on the tails drooped to fit the bomb bay. A lot of Alclad was used for painting this. The B-36 was put on an office chair and rotated for painting because of its size.

Warbird decals were used for the B-36.

Here are the pictures.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Regards Toby

• Like 48

What a beast! Got one in the loft awaiting the space to put it when built.

Wonderful finish and a nice addition of the Thunderflash to model a part of history when it seemed like anything goes.

Matt

What a super build Toby.  I always have respect for the guys who take on these massive builds and produce absolute works of art.  The logistics of having something so big on the workbench and then storing/displaying the piece would be a challenge for me!

I really like the different shades of Alclad that you have used, helps to break up the overall size and adds more interest to the aircraft.  The FICON concept was really wild looking back!!

I have an AC-119K in the stash and I think that display wise this is the biggest that I could go to.

Phil

Excellent build and 'conversion' Toby  :worthy:

I built my FiCon about a trillion years ago - back in the 1980's when the kit first came out:- http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/modl_ficon.htm

I made a 'working' trapeze for the RF-84K Recce Fighter and mounted the GRB-36D as if in flight - with the RF-84K suspended beneath it.

spacer.png

I was on a 'parasite fighter' kick at the time - and built the Soviet 'Zveno-1' http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/Modeling/Tupolev/TB-1/Duffy/index.php 

spacer.png

and the Zveno-6 'Aviamatka' :-  http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/Modeling/Tupolev/TB-3/Duffy/index.php

spacer.png

I was also planning a B-50 with straight-winged F-82G's mounted on the wingtips (Project Tom-Tom) - and a B-29 with an XF-85 Goblin in the bomb-bay - but never got around to building them.

The whole subject of 'parasites' or 'piggy backs' is fascinating - there are quite a few out there and you could build up quite a collection of models

Stay Safe

Ken

• Like 2

The Monogram B-36 is a nice kit and it's huge! Excellent work on the conversion to parasite fighter carrier. Gives you something truly unique in your collection.

She's a monster, isn't she. I've not gone the FICON route, but all that NMF and stencils are a real challenge. I'm only left the final details now. At least it can be done without permanently attaching the wings. Makes it so much easier to store and transport. I do have a final home for mine in due course.

That is one impressive model build!

I am in awe! Superb alclad painting on that!

The ground clearance of those tanks on the Thunderflash/Streak was minimal at best of times & looks like you've got it just right.

Martin