yet another Ferrari 1/8th F40 Engine

When I started this project on July 9th, I didn't really expect to finish it. I just about managed to  model and  print the alternator.

There was a seemingly impossible list of hundreds of other components, pretty much non of which I knew how I would draw. So honestly, I didn't really think i would get far, so I just treated it as a learning exercise. 

I also thought, it might get easier, the more I did. Turns out that was right, the rate of acceleration of knocking stuff out now is ridiculous it's pretty much the 80-20 law in action.

OK, I haven't finished, and I'm going to print everything again, but I damn near have:-

50290035501_cd20ab8704_h.jpg

50290035516_51c644d949_h.jpg

50290019901_e20e913489_h.jpg

I've just got the flywheel and clutch, air-con compressor left to model, finish some detailing on the oil pan and sort out the errors in the cam tensioners outstanding.

There's some electrical connectors, fuel valves and throttle position sensors to model too, but only bits and pieces in the grand scheme of things.

Regards,

Nick

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, dbostream said:

Got to ask, how many hours have you spent in Fusion 360? :) Excellent work.

Fortunately fusion doesn’t record this. I would estimate around 200 hours, but remember this was to teach myself Fusion too. 

if I did another, I reckon it would be a quarter, of that time. Maybe even less, I’ve got pretty at quick at stuff now. 

regards

Nick. 

• Like 1

I'm tantalisingly close to finishing the CAD now who would have thought?

I’ve just got the flywheel, clutch assembly, air con compressor and a few connectors left to do now. 

when I finish the last few bits, I'm going to reprint the entire thing to get fresh, un-handled copies of everything as I've taken the edge off things handling them for fitting etc.

50301468733_e4c3249e66_h.jpg

50301468693_e621647584_h.jpg

50302155701_260c52509e_h.jpg

50302155676_76d269f085_h.jpg

Regards

Nick

• Like 11

1 hour ago, CrazyCrank said:

A wonderful masterpiece, I'm speechless  👏

Ditto.   Words fail me.

Wow!

I've just read this from the beginning and am really impressed with the way you've progressed in skills.

I am tinkering with F360 and while it is very good, your mastering of aspects is flippin impressive.

What I like is that, as opposed to sticking someone else's parts together, you have created them and in that process must have got a much better feel for the real engineering.

I've really enjoyed reading this. You must be be really chuffed with the results... 200 hours well spent.. :)

Matt 

On 8/20/2020 at 1:14 PM, Pascal said:

@ Codger : I've tried left and right to get scale plans and/or dimensions of F40's and F40 parts, nobody wants to share that kind of information. I've contacted Ferrari, Michelotto, garages and workshops : nada.

But I'm sort of the local F40 "affectionado" here and very willing to help with info and photos.

Sincerely

Pascal

Hi Pascal,

I can't find a single useful image of an F40 oil Pan, I've done as much as I can based on the Pocher item and snippets from various angles in many photos, and come up with this:-

50305160102_81a5648233_h.jpg

I know a fairly fat pipe emerges from the angled section as I have guessed at, but I have no real idea what this looks like, I don't suppose that anywhere in your collection that you have any sort of clue to what this looks like? much appreciated if you could dig something out now I'm on the home staright!

Regards,

Nick

Let the printing commence! I’ve just printed the all new block overnight and queuing everything else up behind it while I finish the last few CAD tweaks now I’m confident nothing will change the main elements. Quite excited to see how all this will look ‘in the flesh’! 

I've only got connectors and other ancillaries to left to draw now so shouldn’t break anything. 

if do something like this again, I won’t print until the end. Now I’m confident how the CAD models transfer to the Physical prints and how to tweak them so they do, it’s very wasteful drawing a component then printing it, which is what I was doing to start with, when downstream it gets modified by other additions. 

Im also debating how to display this, the choices are;

1. ‘Model display’ ie something not real, for example curved acrylic rod in the thrust bearing, or stainless rod/turntable into the oil pan

2. ‘Model of a real engine stand’ problem here is I don’t have an example. Most displays of this engine include the gearbox so have 4 point mounts and and all look custom made. I have seen the race engine in the custom made cube on castors, but that’s not the engine I’ve built, plus, honestly, I don’t like it. So I could build a standard non-Ferrari engine stand with a spider picking up the gearbox mounts but not in love with the idea. 

50307546982_efeb4d8863_h.jpg

so suggestions people? 

I could I suppose build both. 

regards

Nick

New Block looks OK

50306976638_8a3f3a1eb5_h.jpg

50307812537_5af89e08d0_h.jpg

Next set batched up, I'm going for the things I haven't printed before, like injectors and corrected plenums

50307657906_fbd1be5564_h.jpg

I've learnt to modify the drawing for print, for example, the plenums I've added an inset .2mm sacrificial step so when I get elephant foot on the bottom layer I can just sand it away and the step gives me the correct amount to remove.

That's the theory anyway, I'll tell you if it worked in about 3 hours!

50306989318_cdc926ea7c_h.jpg

Regards,

Nick

• Like 5

On 9/4/2020 at 4:29 PM, nick said:

Hi Pascal,

I can't find a single useful image of an F40 oil Pan, I've done as much as I can based on the Pocher item and snippets from various angles in many photos, and come up with this:-

50305160102_81a5648233_h.jpg

I know a fairly fat pipe emerges from the angled section as I have guessed at, but I have no real idea what this looks like, I don't suppose that anywhere in your collection that you have any sort of clue to what this looks like? much appreciated if you could dig something out now I'm on the home staright!

Regards,

Nick

Hi Nick,

This is how Autograph made the pipe :

spacer.png

And this is the only photo that I've found sofar :

spacer.png

I'll look at the DVD tomorrow and see if I can take some more screenshots.

Sincerely

Pascal

7 minutes ago, Pascal said:

Hi Nick,

This is how Autograph made the pipe :

spacer.png

And this is the only photo that I've found sofar :

spacer.png

I'll look at the DVD tomorrow and see if I can take some more screenshots.

Sincerely

Pascal

That’s useful already as I didn’t know how to handle what I assume is an oil pipe coming from the cylinder head where it enters the engine rear cover. 

it calls into question the depth of the rear cover I just printed not an hour ago!  I asked for that by saying I didn’t expect any more reworking. 

Thanks for your help, much appreciated. 

Regards

Nick

Flywheel and clutch modelled now as well as modifications to the rear cover and oil pipes between this and the cylinder head based on Pascals new photo last night.

50311163322_ed21dce28b_h.jpg

50311159442_8592636197_h.jpg

Thanks for all the help and support

Nick

• Like 4

A bit late, but this photo might still be handy for the shape of the gasket  :

spacer.png

Underside of the block :

spacer.png

Gearbox from an unusual angle :

spacer.png

Angles and curves :

spacer.png

Water cooling pipe attachment :

spacer.png

Pulley and connectors :

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Will look for more oil pipe photos this afternoon.

Sincerely

Pascal

Edited by Pascal

19 hours ago, Pascal said:

A bit late, but this photo might still be handy for the shape of the gasket  :

Will look for more oil pipe photos this afternoon.

Sincerely

Pascal

Pascal, some great stuff there thanks. That’s the first time I’ve seen a decent shot of the gold coloured casting with the oil pipe, I wasn’t far off!

on the plus side, everything else seems to confirm my guesswork, Which is both a surprise and a bonus 👍😉

thanks again. I’m in full-on printing mode now. 

I’ve fallen back in love with my printer now I’m printing at 20 micron layer height instead of 30, which I did all my prototyping in. 

I wouldn’t expect a micron to make much difference, but it really does. OK it makes the print times a lot longer, but the surface finish is amazing. 

I think 10 micron resolution isn’t real, although I can slice at that I don’t believe the printer is physically capable of it. Plus the print times are deadly. 

for example the block;

30 micron layer depth - 3 hours or so

20 micron - 7 hours

10 micron - 17 hours

I guess I should do a direct comparison with a smaller part, although 2 micron looks damn near perfect to me anyway so it’s hard to see how it would improve for massively slower printing. 

regards

Nick

As I was saying, Just cured this, I always manage to inexplicably pick up dust immediately when I look at the shots.

50310759273_a5440f290c_h.jpg

50311599927_835dd2946b_h.jpg

50311600702_599e9659bb_h.jpg

50311601147_9acaa2f430_h.jpg

Anyway, I must admit I'm pleased with this for ultimately a home-made thing.

It would better in primer, but I've discovered I get a better finish applying metallic paints directly to resin (it takes it really well and doesn't seem to need priming anyway)

Regards

Nick

• Like 4

Pascal - stunning collection of shots to aid Nick. Most surprised to see 2-bolt mains and free-standing main webs in crankcase. Especially in an aluminum block with boost. This at 2.6 SAE horsepower per cubic inch.

Thank you. :worthy:

You're quite correct, multiply everything I just said by 10 - I'm printing at 20 micron layer size not 2 as previously stated.

Regards,

Nick

First print of the waterpump:-

50316998182_f34051eecf_h.jpg

50316817591_01adb6d72c_h.jpg

50316817626_b46de40a14_h.jpg

All looking a bit dusty and just cellphone snaps - this is still my prototype not the final print version in fairness, just testing the parts I haven't made yet.

I've been giving my printing some thought too - Print speed is just layer height, doesn't matter how complex of full a layer is it's just a single exposure.

With this in mind I've been optimising batching stuff up to get the most parts in the shortest time:-

50317031397_7e61b9bc2f_h.jpg

Also I've learnt to redraw things for printing with supports of my choosing that are easy to remove and don't leave a scar. So here for example, I've got very narrow walled hollow concentric cylinders leading into the actual cylinders that I want for the injectors.

The step tells me where to stop sanding and there is a tiny amount of material to remove as the walls are so thin. Also I've narrow rectangles hitting the flat faces of nuts that are again easy to remove without trace.

50316849866_4541e2735f_h.jpg

I should have thought of this before, it's much more controllable than letting the slicer do it.

Regards,

Nick

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1