yet another Ferrari 1/8th F40 Engine

Gawd ... that's beautiful!    Cosworth next?   OK he wants it in 1/6th.   

23 minutes ago, albergman said:

Gawd ... that's beautiful!    Cosworth next?   OK he wants it in 1/6th.   

Frank,

I’ve taken to drawing everything 1:1 scale - the F40 is for example,  so I can print at various scales. 

it just so happens I’ve got a monster printer arriving in April too, 1/6th shouldn’t be a problem :) 

Nick

Congratulations, Nick. A well deserved award. 
I understand you’ve “invested” through kickstarter in the Jupiter?

Looks like a fine machine.

17 hours ago, Pouln said:

Congratulations, Nick. A well deserved award. 
I understand you’ve “invested” through kickstarter in the Jupiter?

Looks like a fine machine.

Thanks Poul, yes looking forward to that arriving. Gives me enough time time to save up for the several gallons of resin and iso I'll need to run the bloody thing too!

I've also seriously got my eye on one of these babies:-

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/makera-inc/carvera?ref=discovery&term=cnc

What I like about it (many things!) is that it has auto tool changing, an amazing looking fourth axis (scroll down a lot in the link above) and Fusion 360 will generate all the tool paths for me directly.

I'm sure I'm vastly over simplifying this but in my head it's very nearly another 3D printer only the other way around, ie CNC milling without the learning curve.

In the past I've always been put off CNC/milling because I would have to draw and generate tool paths for absolutely everything, even the most basic components, or conversely if I went for a conventional mill although I thought I would get more use out of it (I have a manual lathe already for example, which is very handy but rarely used) , I would have to learn to use it and of course couldn't do CNC stuff. So I kept swinging between both arguments and did nothing.

Now I'm all over fusion, the first argument has been smashed, and this beautiful little machine came along at just the right time. It does laser engraving as well as PCBs/CNC routing both of which I would use, and could even avoid having to go to PE potentially for basic stuff that doesn't lend itself to 3D printing - the alternator brackets on the F40 for example.

Mainly though, I'm thinking about milling ali chassis rails/axles/hub bearers etc for my Bentley Blower ... which just leaves the tyres to solve, watch this space!

Nick

Hey Nick

Just had a look at that new milling machine.   Pretty exciting development for sure.   Would seem like a perfect fit for someone like yourself with the expertise with Fusion that you have.   I didn't see anywhere that they mentioned what code is acceptable to it but it would be perfect if Fusion could generate what is needed.   

Exciting times and makes me wish I were a younger fella!

When do you anticipate the F40 being available to purchase (asking for a friend).

21 hours ago, albergman said:

Hey Nick

Just had a look at that new milling machine.   Pretty exciting development for sure.   Would seem like a perfect fit for someone like yourself with the expertise with Fusion that you have.   I didn't see anywhere that they mentioned what code is acceptable to it but it would be perfect if Fusion could generate what is needed.   

When do you anticipate the F40 being available to purchase (asking for a friend).

Hi Frank,

I'm just working out the batching for the various prints needed for the engine kit, there are around 700 separate parts in total it turns out when I asked fusion to count them for me! and I need to do a load of photography and diagrams to produce a build manual as well.

I'm producing a second prototype as a gift for my friend Enzo who provided all the data and photos, so that will help with 'productionising' this, it's not a 5 minute job though, so it will be a few weeks at least, more likely Jan 2022 realistically I think, but don't hold me to it!

Nick

On 11/18/2021 at 11:35 AM, nick said:

Thanks Poul, yes looking forward to that arriving. Gives me enough time time to save up for the several gallons of resin and iso I'll need to run the bloody thing too!

I've also seriously got my eye on one of these babies:-

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/makera-inc/carvera?ref=discovery&term=cnc

What I like about it (many things!) is that it has auto tool changing, an amazing looking fourth axis (scroll down a lot in the link above) and Fusion 360 will generate all the tool paths for me directly.

I'm sure I'm vastly over simplifying this but in my head it's very nearly another 3D printer only the other way around, ie CNC milling without the learning curve.

In the past I've always been put off CNC/milling because I would have to draw and generate tool paths for absolutely everything, even the most basic components, or conversely if I went for a conventional mill although I thought I would get more use out of it (I have a manual lathe already for example, which is very handy but rarely used) , I would have to learn to use it and of course couldn't do CNC stuff. So I kept swinging between both arguments and did nothing.

Now I'm all over fusion, the first argument has been smashed, and this beautiful little machine came along at just the right time. It does laser engraving as well as PCBs/CNC routing both of which I would use, and could even avoid having to go to PE potentially for basic stuff that doesn't lend itself to 3D printing - the alternator brackets on the F40 for example.

Mainly though, I'm thinking about milling ali chassis rails/axles/hub bearers etc for my Bentley Blower ... which just leaves the tyres to solve, watch this space!

Nick

yes, I’ve seen that Carvera too and you know what? I decided to jump in. It is indeed a very nice packaged cnc machine and the toolchanger is what made me decide to go for it. I did have an Emco Compact 8 lathe, but sold it when I found a reasonably priced Emco Compact 5 CNC that was converted to a modern control system. 
Have some work to do before it is ready for use though Changing the old motor for a nice servo motor, but that brings some modifications with it, both mechanically and electronically.

On 11/18/2021 at 4:18 PM, albergman said:

Hey Nick

Code? Just the standard g-code and they promise it will be possible to use the standard CAM packages (such as Fusion CAM) to produce toolpaths.

So you’re not locked in, although they talk about developing their own CAM software which will then integrate all functionality (laser engraving and milling) into one package. If they don’t, you need separate software packages for these functions. In any case they will not force you to use their cad/cam software, which I think is very important. Don’t like to be locked in.

17 hours ago, Pouln said:

yes, I’ve seen that Carvera too and you know what? I decided to jump in. It is indeed a very nice packaged cnc machine and the toolchanger is what made me decide to go for it. I did have an Emco Compact 8 lathe, but sold it when I found a reasonably priced Emco Compact 5 CNC that was converted to a modern control system. 
Have some work to do before it is ready for use though Changing the old motor for a nice servo motor, but that brings some modifications with it, both mechanically and electronically.

That’s very interesting, it’s becoming increasingly likely that I’ll buy one of these then. 

Nick

5 hours ago, nick said:

That’s very interesting, it’s becoming increasingly likely that I’ll buy one of these then. 

Nick

What I also like about the carvera is that it is such a neat, clean package. Until now I have found two negative points.

1. In one run you can only use toolbits with one diameter. Reason is that machine uses one collet for all tools. 
2. There is no facilty to connect a handwheel/pendant, to manually position and operate the machine

• 2 weeks later...