yet another Ferrari 1/8th F40 Engine

For some light relief, I noticed the pedestal on my new wash/cure station was a bit loose, so I whipped the bottom plate off to tighten it up.

couldn’t help but notice the fan manufacturer, I can only assume there was a limited market for it’s original purpose?

50354128921_aa7ca9342c_h.jpg

regards

Nick

• Haha 2

Stand today...

50356782033_e75525981b_h.jpg

50357458656_429003ada7_h.jpg

entirely printed, and may prove to be a bit weak at scale thickness - we’ll see.

I’m currently grappling with bending my fusion 360 objects in blender for all the rubber boots on the electrical connectors. So far this is the only thing I’ve found I can’t do in fusion 360. They are quite complex tapered convoluted things, which I’ve drawn, but when ‘deployed’ they have a 180° bend in them, which fusion can’t really pull off 

regards

Nick 

• Like 7

FINALLY! I've cracked how to bend a complex shape, in this case the rubber boots on the injectors.

50357957518_ab8b4872d2_b.jpg

50358657971_3bf54010fc_b.jpg

My problem was, I was trying to do this in fusion. Turns out you can't.

I drew a ‘straight’ version of the boot in fusion, easy enough:-

50358829912_bff0d8f53b_b.jpg

I then exported this as a .obj which I pulled into blender.

Blender has a simple deform modifier tool with bend, which I had to learn how to use.

50358678166_d6786b38c5_h.jpg

Then exported as .obj which fusion now treats as a mesh, smoothed it a bit and added to the backshell.

It's not great as the imported mesh is too complex to convert back into a solid, so I can't edit it in fusion anymore, but it doesn't matter as I can still generates a combined .stl for printing.

Regards,

Nick

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Mr Mansfield said:

This is so impressive. Wasn’t sure what to expect when I clicked on this thread, didn’t think I’d be so interested in an engine by itself, but I’m blown away! You’ve created a real work of art

Very kind, glad you enjoyed it. 

regards

Nick

I’m going to make a start on the decals next week which shouldn’t take that long, then I’m in danger of actually finishing this crazy project, who would have though it?

thanks to everyone who had supported me, I couldn’t have done it without your help, encouragement and constant praise. 

regards

Nick

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, PROPELLER said:

Harbour pilot I understand, and what a vessel!

Petrel of Liverpool. How many horsepower? Engine make? What kind of propulsion? 

To my eyes it's a wonderful office... But the first pic?

Dan.

I’m a UAV pilot rather than marine pilot, and Im surveying the Mersey river wall effectively flying continuously with a chase vessel. Our utility boat was stuck the wrong side of the locks so we pressed one of the pilot boats into service. 

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Now I've completed my real-world work project, I'm back on the F40 motor.

My latest little adventure is getting to grips with mesh modelling. Up to now I've been using solid modelling which is great for geometric and regular man-made shapes.

Things like bent rubber injector boots are a little more irregular and organic looking, so I went out to blender to do the bending as in the post above.

The problem is when they come back to fusion they aren't solids anymore, they are meshes, and they are too complex to convert to solids.

As they are so small, they are also difficult to print, so I have learnt that chitubox generated supports are too crude and can't be trusted, so I draw my own my own supports routinely now, but haven't attempted this with a mesh before.

Actually it turns out it's easy now I know how - simply draw conventional solid objects to intercept the faces of the mesh as required, convert the solid supports to  meshses, merge the meshes, then just make sure they are manifold with 'make closed mesh'

I think they look rather beautiful?

50435375678_c39f46a9a3_h.jpg

50436237077_06e00c2315_h.jpg

Regards,

Nick

• Like 6

Is it possible to print with rubber-like material using a resin printer? Then you can print it straight and bend it afterwards. I have done it with a FDM-printer but of course the quality is not as good.

1 hour ago, dbostream said:

Is it possible to print with rubber-like material using a resin printer? Then you can print it straight and bend it afterwards. I have done it with a FDM-printer but of course the quality is not as good.

You can get flexible resin, it’s about £70 a litre (these connectors are about 4mm long!) it bends max 100° and is very brittle, so not great. 

50438639546_4ce8206c13_h.jpg

I needed to learn how to do this anyway, and it was pretty straightforward once I figured the process out to be honest.

Nick

• Like 6

Got sidetracked today designing some servo-based fuel gauges for my flight sim. The rest of it is printed with my nasty old extrusion printer, may have to revisit some stuff now I’ve seen how nicely these bezels print off!

50441692583_45d37c3fbf_h.jpg

48402836897_51a10c06d7_h.jpg

regards

Nick

• Like 5

Did somebody say off-topic? Don’t care, I love my fusion/printer combo and I’m on a roll now making stuff that actually does something!

50444299382_80c91179f5_h.jpg

trim wheels with servo-powered indicators next :0

oh yeah and finishing my F40 motor too

regards

Nick

• Like 3

On 9/19/2020 at 1:18 AM, nick said:

Stand today...

50356782033_e75525981b_h.jpg

Hi Nick,

I took a good look at this photo. What's the white thing that's on the left of the Ferrari emblem on the plenum ? Is that a piece of frame from the printing process ?

Is it possible to get the Magneti Marelli emblem sharper detailed ? It's looks a bit of when compared with the numbers on the block.

Sincerely

Pascal

2 hours ago, Pascal said:

Hi Nick,

I took a good look at this photo. What's the white thing that's on the left of the Ferrari emblem on the plenum ? Is that a piece of frame from the printing process ?

Is it possible to get the Magneti Marelli emblem sharper detailed ? It's looks a bit of when compared with the numbers on the block.

Sincerely

Pascal

That was well spotted. Looks like a random piece of support structure from somewhere, don’t know how it got onto the photo, certainly isn’t attached. 

the magneti marelli logo probably isn’t as cleaned of resin as thoroughly as it might be, I’ll be printing a new version now I have my cleaner. 

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nick,

This thread was just pointed out to me....

I'm deeply, deeply impressed by your work and the speed at which you picked up Fusion and tuning the printer.

I think we passed each other on Facebook when you showed off your 'disco curing machine' (does disco need curing?)

Thanks for all the compliments folks. Work has really got in the way of finishing this, but now Wales is back in lockdown, I should complete all the missing pieces over the next two weeks - every cloud etc. 

Regards,

Nick

• Like 1