yet another Ferrari 1/8th F40 Engine

I’m doing too much of this stuff now to continue to cleanup manually, it’s the only part I hate, so I just bit the bullet and ordered  an Elegoo Mercury plus  wash and cure station. 

50317334603_03d326d30e_b.jpg

the main attraction is the magnetic stirrer which I’m hoping will be more effective at removing resin in detail parts than my current extremely messy toothbrush/ultrasonic cleaner setup. 

Nick

Cool stuff Nick, and your elaborate descriptions are a gold mine of information for people considering getting into this, like myself. I'm curious to hear about your cleaning station. 

15 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Cool stuff Nick, and your elaborate descriptions are a gold mine of information for people considering getting into this, like myself. I'm curious to hear about your cleaning station. 

Thanks Jeroen the reason I stuck with Elegoo for the cleaner is that it’s designed so that the build plate from my printer transfers directly to it, which will be great, I may even get a second build plate so I can start printing while washing/curing.

everybody that bought one of these loves it, so high hopes - let’s see when it arrives. 

I must admit, the resin is very messy cleaning by hand so hopefully this will address that. 

regards

Nick

• Like 2

I'm going to buy one soon,

I'd seen the Anycubic cure and wash before but the stand for the build isn't compatiblle, needing an adaptor, and overall it's much more expansive.

Thanks to you having posted that 👍

1 minute ago, CrazyCrank said:

I'm going to buy one soon,

I'd seen the Anycubic cure and wash before but the stand for the build isn't compatiblle, needing an adaptor, and overall it's much more expansive.

Thanks to you having posted that 👍

Sorry! looks like it needs lots of expensive ipa too - up to 3 litres (so like £75) looking at the graduations on the tank -just sayin!

Nick

10 minutes ago, nick said:

Sorry! looks like it needs lots of expensive ipa too - up to 3 litres (so like £75) looking at the graduations on the tank -just sayin!

Nick

Oh yes, I knew that, but in France I can purchase 6 liters IPA 99% for £33.3 :)

You do not need to fill it up to the 3 l mark...😏

I have the Anycubic one. Really happy with it. Saves a lot of mess.

I do a pre-wash before I put my prints in this container. I do not use ipa, but resin-away (which is a glycol solution).

Does not evaporate as quickly as ipa.

More prototypes

50324190147_109980437d_h.jpg

rear cover, fuel rail, etc the paint is terrible on all this, only I’m playing with the prototypes for fit, size etc, so the finish is poor. 

we like the new washer too, what a great machine!

Some serious swirlage going on here, even the most delicate parts come out spotless!

regards,

Nick

• Like 8

The paint is terrible ?

You're selling yourself short here mate . Yes some parts are a bit rough, but I see patina and weathering on a lot of parts, it makes them look very authentic in my opinion.

Good job Nick.

Been quiet redrawing everything for printing. 

my shiny new wash cure rig is a game changer. Even ultra-delicate stuff comes out resin free plus no-mess what’s not to like?

50330205388_a1995ff802_h.jpg

Nick

• Like 6

And we’re off, heres the new block,sump, rear cover, flywheel and clutch with the old heads/throttle Bodies just to see how it looks. 

happy with the clutch, I should have photo etched the fingers really, but I think they printed pretty well

50331257313_b517f98d22_h.jpg

50331937171_61d3de0cd1_h.jpg

50332104692_3d3b251580_h.jpg

50331937176_58e42422bc_h.jpg

• Like 11

Latest cellphone snaps

50334615636_08d338b6d7_h.jpg

50334776137_f8c812dfd4_h.jpg

trying to tighten up on paint and finish now the parts are Coming off reliably 

latest batch off the printer

50334776092_6b184dde91_h.jpg

last 5 high density groups have come off perfectly, I’m getting a decent feel for what works in terms of supports and it seems to be working. 

regards

Nick

• Like 12

On 9/11/2020 at 7:27 PM, nick said:

my shiny new wash cure rig is a game changer. Even ultra-delicate stuff comes out resin free plus no-mess what’s not to like?

Feels like this should have been available from day one with these printers. The mess when cleaning etc is what has put me off buying a resin printer but I have a feeling it won't be too long until I get one now. My friend ordered one so for a while I can hopefully have him print stuff for me. :)

Latest photos:-

50341254306_103edd2f6e_h.jpg

50341254346_4d764fca52_h.jpg

Got the fuel rails done and everything fits which is a bonus as there isn't really any margin for error

Even spun the lathe up today for a break from all this printing stuff

50341412617_6038a50590_h.jpg

50340569948_574f4f1178_h.jpg

50341412622_f8c4cb0d28_h.jpg

Currently printing and detailing all the ignition connectors/clips etc.

Thanks for looking

Regards,

Nick

• Like 8

getting closer, Still some bugs to iron out and some reprints to do. These are the old heads, the new ones still need printing to correct the cam tensioner position etc.

50344963206_f9ff011c97_h.jpg

50344963201_e4f8ffc881_h.jpg

50344963211_b4ecf0f117_h.jpg

Regards,

Nick

• Like 11

Getting repetitive here but that's wonderful.   I'm assuming all the pulleys are glued on and not free to rotate so, are you able to print that belt so that its teeth line up with all of the pulleys and just slides on?    Why am I asking ... of course it can and does??

Frank

4 hours ago, albergman said:

Getting repetitive here but that's wonderful.   I'm assuming all the pulleys are glued on and not free to rotate so, are you able to print that belt so that its teeth line up with all of the pulleys and just slides on?    Why am I asking ... of course it can and does??

Frank

Hi Frank yes the cam belts are drawn in that shape. I’ve learnt to make the teeth where they mesh with the gears .1mm undersized all round so they mesh neatly when painted. 

got there in the end. I also omit the ridges on the inside of the fan belt where that meshes with pulleys for the same reason. 

thanks for the support and kind words. 

Nick