yet another Ferrari 1/8th F40 Engine

I knew that I stopped working on my F40 for a reason! Between you and Pascal you’re supplying so many great reference pictures and ideas that, where I am with my engine was a perfect place to stop for a while. Now, with all the great work you are doing it’s making my work look a little anemic by comparison. Even with the Autograph transkit my engine doesn’t approach the level of detail that you are achieving! However, having said that, I’m afraid that most of it wouldn’t be seen once in place inside the body and frame. But, everything on the back end would benefit from the extra detail. I got stumped on the LM exhaust pipes from the turbos back and I can see how the 3D printer would be the answer for the correct piping bends route. If you decide to make a LM exhaust system I’d pay you to make a second one for my build!! 
One thing that I find very interesting is the individual intake tubing that you are showing rather than the one piece plenum. I don’t think that I’ve ever seen it like that. Great work Nick I really like what you are doing!!

3 hours ago, nick said:

And here’s the model

50264870201_ba27edd90f_k.jpg

50264870246_24c9edd787_k.jpg

Nick

The amount of detail is just insane. Great work Nick.

Can you please post some more photos (like the ones above) of the block from all angles ? They are a joy to look at.

Sincerely

Pascal

• Like 1

6 hours ago, larchiefeng said:

One thing that I find very interesting is the individual intake tubing that you are showing rather than the one piece plenum. I don’t think that I’ve ever seen it like that. Great work Nick I really like what you are doing!!

I think there may be two reasons for that;

1. The shape is more complex than meets the eye, there are lots of subtleties that are tricky to replicate and I had to learn some new tricks myself to draw it with my limited skills. 

2. Even when you manage to draw it, it would be pretty much impossible to make by conventional means, especially if you wanted it to be hollow. I assume the original Full-size part must be a lost wax (or similar more modern technique)  casting. 

so even for a model you would have to do something similar. If you split it into multiple parts, it would still be difficult to split to injection mould, so I can see why Pocher went for  a combined intake body/plenum design with ‘top shell’ and  solid intake bodies glued from underneath approach. 

even with modern expensive injection moulding techniques like slide moulding, it wouldn’t help with this shape. 

I can see why even modern kits still do this on inlet manifolds -  looks good from above - hollow underneath, It’s about the the only way to injection mould. 

so was that me going soft on Pocher? maybe, I can see why the did some of things they did, that I don’t like, now I  have walked a mile in their shoes so to speak. 

perhaps I was a little hard on them, I tip my virtual hat. 

Also, if anyone still has lingering doubts, go buy a resin printer, you can very easily make impossible things with it. This one part alone validated me starting this crazy project. 

actually, it’s played out just like I hoped it would. The plenum is the most iconic and eye catching component IMHO, I started the project largely because I wanted to make that and didn’t like the Pocher one. 

even in my CAD innocence at the start, I realised this would be the most difficult bit to draw, plus until I built my way up to it from the block, heads, throttle bodies, I wouldn’t have the reference for angles, spacing and position for the 8 inlets. 

so learning the easier (or so I thought) more regular, angular components first, such as the heads and block, helped me learn CAD basics through repetition, bringing in various new techniques and elements along the way such as sweeping, rotating, lofting, 3D sketching etc so that when I got to here, I just about had enough of an idea to attempt this. 

it’s not perfect, and I think I maybe should have a go at surface modelling/sculpting really to get it spot on, but I think it’s also near enough to get away with using the techniques I have learnt so far. 

I had no CAD skills 6 weeks ago. The software is free. The printer is £200. If you think like an engineer (most of you do) you can do this too, it just takes a little time and googling, that’s all. The only real barrier to entry is you thinking you can’t do this. You can. I would suggest adopting my approach, think of a project to use it on to get the grounding - don’t just launch into trying to make the impossible thing you actually want (you will fail!) work up to it, put the time in, learn the basics first. It’s actually very rewarding and quite good fun. 

like I said at the start, this was a bit of an experiment - seems to be working  

what are you waiting for?

OK that was rambley. 

thanks again for all the generous comments, advice and support

regards

Nick

• Like 4

Thanks Nick. As I have been following along it seems to me that, you started out to upgrade certain pieces on the engine and then once you got started it has evolved into a completely new engine from scratch. I’m guessing that when you are done, you will probably have a complete Pocher engine kit for sale having built a new engine using nothing from the kit.

A good crop of throttle bodies last night:

50267498788_7d509321b3_h.jpg

I learnt to print twice as many as I need, it doesn't take any longer and these cost 34p to print.

So here's the biggy. it would be an exaggeration to say this printed perfectly first time.

50268294612_f9bda9530b_h.jpg

But not much of a one.

Just a few more supports needed as the bottom lugs are missing, otherwise I must admit, pretty pleased with this for a first print.

50268297997_6cf8090323_h.jpg

50267457658_4f7f99b0da_h.jpg

I even 'gas-flowed' it, although nobody will ever I see it. I know :)

50268297782_6fe2ce678b_h.jpg

I couldn't resist a quick test fit

50267457618_f30d7b5d2e_h.jpg

and with primer:

50268327667_055567a00d_h.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

In my element when stuff gets busy :) I probably need to get out more, oh hang on, I can't can I?

50271203282_950e34c4ef_h.jpg

50271202647_3a79c59800_h.jpg

50270357923_ba3c064b3d_h.jpg

So fuel injectors, Pressure rails and supporting studs today. I also tidied up the strakes on the plenums which weren't aligned properly in v1.0

Regards

Nick

• Like 5

So ignition coils done now as well as lots and lots of bolts and studs. I also paid some attention to the materials I'm using in fusion so the render looks a little more realistic now I think to.

50272199957_3707d44db7_h.jpg

50272200027_e92950b065_h.jpg

50272190807_5fe5f4781d_h.jpg

50272008861_93f8782bd6_h.jpg

See what you think?

Nick

• Like 4

This is really astonishing Nick.    Are all the nuts/bolts/Acorn nuts real metal or are you printing and painting them?

Also ... fan belts.   Are these a pliable printed material or a firm shape that slides onto the pulleys?

Frank

6 minutes ago, albergman said:

Are all the nuts/bolts/Acorn nuts real metal or are you printing and painting them?

Also ... fan belts.   Are these a pliable printed material or a firm shape that slides onto the pulleys?

Frank

Frank,

The acorn nuts on the valve covers are real. They are stupidly expensive, so I printed/painted the rest. 

the cam belts are rigid, there is a bit of flex in the material. The resin when cured has similar characteristics to ABS - it isn’t ABS but has similar hardness, strength and flexibility. It’s a bit like the stuff hard hats are made from. 

regards

Nick

2 minutes ago, nick said:

Frank,

The acorn nuts on the valve covers are real. They are stupidly expensive, so I printed/painted the rest. 

the cam belts are rigid, there is a bit of flex in the material. The resin when cured has similar characteristics to ABS - it isn’t ABS but has similar hardness, strength and flexibility. It’s a bit like the stuff hard hats are made from. 

regards

Nick

I thought those acorns looked real.  Thanks

I'm sitting here with Fusion loaded on my PC trying to get started.    A whole different world!

2 hours ago, albergman said:

I thought those acorns looked real.  Thanks

I'm sitting here with Fusion loaded on my PC trying to get started.    A whole different world!

Give this a go https://www.linkedin.com/learning/fusion-360-essential-training-2

Nick

So today working on the fuel system, acorn nuts for the stanchions, end caps and aeroquip fittings for the fuel rails, surprisingly everything still fits and clears everything else which was a worry at this stage.

50274903017_613ff7c201_h.jpg

50273929673_ae5d65388b_h.jpg

50273924558_f31fbbf771_h.jpg

I've also done some more work on the materials in the render so I think it looks a little more convincing now too.

Regards,

Nick

• Like 5

Grappling with the waterpump today. Really tricky, It's also thrown geometry errors in the block. so quite a bit of rework involved. It's an overly complicated beast for my money.

50282691946_94df1ddb08_h.jpg

50282850937_c878bbc973_h.jpg

50282693476_b03c9542b5_h.jpg

Nick

• Like 6

During my endless quest for F40 images I stumbled upon this beauty;

ebay madness

if you think people chance their arm with kit prices, Check this puppy out.

I also found F40 injectors (used) at around £1,200 a pop (there’s 16 of them required on this motor) they are made from plastic, I suspect they cost about £3 to make. 

just sayin. 

Nick

• Sad 1

Nice work Nick,

That same waterpump was offered on Ebay for 20k US dollars in 2018, it hasn't been sold since then. For the prices he's asking, I don't think it will ever sell. I'm pretty sure that you can order a new build F40 waterpump even today.