yet another Ferrari 1/8th F40 Engine

23 hours ago, CrazyCrank said:

Very convincing and stunning realizations,  Nick :)

Thanks to you, I couldn't resist, and have just ordered an Elegy Mars Pro :)

Good choice, with hindsight I should have got a pro really, although I can see me having several of these running in parallel as they’re so cheap. 
maybe a Saturn next the extra size would be very handy assuming you can actually get one at some point, they’ve all been snapped up so far. 

• Like 1

This is a really impressive build.  Thanks for all the details and explanations to help demystify the printing process. How did you make the fan? Are you making your own PE or was that part of a kit

Rich

6 hours ago, rjfk2002 said:

How did you make the fan? Are you making your own PE or was that part of a kit

Rich

I have made my own PE in the past but the fan was one of the few good bits I salvaged from the rubbish transkit I acquired for the model back when I built it years ago. 

1 hour ago, nick said:

So here comes my next bit of CAD tinkering

50100445312_fdf39e9738_c.jpg

A week ago I didn't have any CAD skills and this was the bit I literally had no idea how I was going to draw.

turns out if was quite easy in the end once you've wrapped your brain round how this stuff works!

I drew this in about 2 hours, rendered with fusion 360.  

Regards,

Nick

Very nicely done, Nick. Again great details. Printer should be able to create this without issues.

3 hours ago, Pascal said:

Hi Nick,

These are the photos I have of the engine block :

Wow! gold dust. That is so amazingly helpful - thank you.

Guess what I'll be doing next :)

regards and thanks,

Nick

First print of the Valve cover, not great really, still a few things to learn, not enough material and/or printer supports at the corners. 

50101986661_25c0fd26f3_z.jpg

I shall continue the research in the words of Monty Burns (a hero of mine) just when I thought I had cracked it.

heres a shot of my heath Robinson ‘disco’ UV curing setup complete with solar powered turntable for those of you wondering what I was rambling on about earlier. 

50100576401_e56ce9f615_z.jpg

so the printer forms the layers by exposing slices of resin to uv to form the shape for short periods This is OK but not ‘fixed’ so when removed from the vat and cleared of wet resin, a further UV ‘bake’ is needed to fully bond the component. 

regards

Nick

• Like 2

Finest hour?

I’ve  been maiming models for nearly 50 years now, and about 24 hours ago I thought I might just be able to draw this part. 
and as of a few hours ago here is what I made;

50105378647_edf0d4293c_z.jpg

a bit presumptuous of me, but I reckon this is indistinguishable from something the likes of Tamiya would turn out?

so from being in my head to having one, made, painted, in my hand, 24 hours.

if that isn’t the modellers dream, I don’t know what is. 

sorry for being pretentious but that’s just how I see it. 

beer has been involved in this post. 

Nick

• Like 8

You really manage to get beautiful pieces out of that 3d-printer. And these 3d-printers will only get better and allow bigger printing volumes. Soon (maybe already possible?) we can print entire car bodies in scale 1/24 of our dream cars, that no model kit company has bothered to produce, at an affordable price. Of course we still need to design the 3d-model which is not easy but there are a lot of skilled people out there that can perhaps help you out for a fee. Exciting times for this hobby indeed.

3 minutes ago, dbostream said:

Soon (maybe already possible?) we can print entire car bodies in scale 1/24 of our dream cars, that no model kit company has bothered to produce, at an affordable price. Of course we still need to design the 3d-model which is not easy but there are a lot of skilled people out there that can perhaps help you out for a fee. Exciting times for this hobby indeed.

yep, we're already there.

The Elegoo Saturn has build dimensions of  18.8cm(L) x 11.5cm(W) x 20cm(H) which I think is big enough for 1/24 car bodies. This a $400 dollar printer and the same (if not better) print quality than the one I'm using.

Actually getting one might be a problem as they oversubscribed at the moment and not shipping the next batch until September.

The CAD side of things I found much easier than I originally feared. 7 days ago I hadn't really used a CAD program before and here I am knocking this stuff out.

The key thing is knowing what you're looking for - there are many 3D programs out there, the breakthrough for me was looking for solid modelling tools (rather than mesh stuff) I would strongly recommend fusion 360, which amazingly, for expensive pro software is free to hobbyists and startups until you make your first £100,000 from it! 

Easiest and fastest to use is shapr3d on iPad (OK you ideally need a 12.9" iPad pro and pencil, but this a great excuse to buy one) 

So I do my basic modelling (shapes, rough outlines etc) on the ipad for speed and ease, (its so fast and intuitive with the pencil) then export it as an IGES file to fusion 360 for all the refinement, then finally export as an STL for slicing and printing.

I would recommend downloading fusion 360 and having a play with it, there's many great video tutorials out there to get you started, as I say I was up and running in a week with it.

Have fun

Nick

• Like 1

Yes Fusion 360 is great I have used it for several years. But modelling car bodies is not easy (at least not for me) I need a lot more practice. I tried a couple of times to import blueprints of a car into Fusion 360 but quickly realized I needed to start with something simpler. By the time I finally get a resin printer maybe I have improved my modelling skills enough. :) 

Edited by dbostream

7 hours ago, nick said:

yep, we're already there.

The Elegoo Saturn has build dimensions of  18.8cm(L) x 11.5cm(W) x 20cm(H) which I think is big enough for 1/24 car bodies. This a $400 dollar printer and the same (if not better) print quality than the one I'm using.

Actually getting one might be a problem as they oversubscribed at the moment and not shipping the next batch until September.

The CAD side of things I found much easier than I originally feared. 7 days ago I hadn't really used a CAD program before and here I am knocking this stuff out.

The key thing is knowing what you're looking for - there are many 3D programs out there, the breakthrough for me was looking for solid modelling tools (rather than mesh stuff) I would strongly recommend fusion 360, which amazingly, for expensive pro software is free to hobbyists and startups until you make your first £100,000 from it! 

Easiest and fastest to use is shapr3d on iPad (OK you ideally need a 12.9" iPad pro and pencil, but this a great excuse to buy one) 

So I do my basic modelling (shapes, rough outlines etc) on the ipad for speed and ease, (its so fast and intuitive with the pencil) then export it as an IGES file to fusion 360 for all the refinement, then finally export as an STL for slicing and printing.

I would recommend downloading fusion 360 and having a play with it, there's many great video tutorials out there to get you started, as I say I was up and running in a week with it.

Have fun

Nick

Based on what you wrote I had a look at shapr3d. I have a small iPad Pro. This is really a nice tool to some quick designs. 
like it a lot but downside is that if you really want to use it, you need to pay for it. But it sure is a joy to work with.

2 minutes ago, Pouln said:

Based on what you wrote I had a look at shapr3d. I have a small iPad Pro. This is really a nice tool to some quick designs. 
like it a lot but downside is that if you really want to use it, you need to pay for it. But it sure is a joy to work with.

I don't think I'll use it all the time and it's only $25 per month - you can get a lot done in a month with this! you do need the pencil though if you don't have one.

Actually if you have an older iPad pro, I have an iPad pencil 1 I don't need as I had to buy a pencil 2 for my 2020 iPad.

for any sane people reading this, why am I making a fuss about a pencil? well apple pencils are about £100. I know.

Nick

Well underway drawing the first cylinder head now. 

50112001446_e77df148e4_z.jpg

50111446383_370fd57e32_z.jpg

50112017621_c548367cb9_z.jpg

50112252072_f7f67c9a76_z.jpg

slightly more to this than I originally thought, but still learning and cracking on with it. 

regards,

Nick

• Like 2

Well I’ve learnt a lot about solid modelling this week, especially the importance of outside in vs inside out at the early stages of a project (I picked the wrong one needless to say)

anyway, got a workable model of the RH (corrected!) cylinder head now. 

50123938526_08e8b051ff_z.jpg

50123938546_b58a2ee534_z.jpg

50123368718_b5c14c5d2e_z.jpg

if anyone is interested you can see it in all its 3D glory here:-

Sketchfab F 40 RH cylinder head

more importantly, I’ve tamed my printer/support setup - this came off first time, about 2 1/2 hours to print at 0.5mm layer height

50123734382_93068b7d60_z.jpg
50123512046_e3f5de357c_z.jpg

50123935981_72dcb2d388_z.jpg

50123366128_d230c3c670_z.jpg

needs more cleanup, but not a bad start

thanks for looking

Nick

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Pascal said:

Very nice, but it looks more like the RH cylinder head :

So my test to see if anyone was paying attention worked then :) 

You're correct of course, I’m working on both and somehow ended up crossing over my folder names at some point. 

I’ll remember to check I’ve got my shoes on the right feet today as well under the circumstances!

Regards

Nick

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, nick said:

So my test to see if anyone was paying attention worked then :) 

Nick, an uninformed question if I may. Your work is excellent, achieving an excellent sense of realism.

But why do all the 3D projects I've seen include all the internal detail of the parts? I would think that since this will go into a complete model car, only the outer surfaces (top and sides) will be visible. It seems that drawing and printing the combustion chambers, rocker stands, plug bores, water and oil passages and internal reinforcement (to say nothing of engine block castings) would require much more material, time and skill.

Unless you intend to use the parts as stand alone models or parts in a diorama. Of course, I find it fantastic that one CAN model these internals. The parts look like they just need machining to operate.

Forgive if I'm missing something obvious...