Question about Airfix's Vickers Valiant Additional Parts

Space Ranger

I just received from an ebay vendor a set of the "Additional Parts and Decals" (item A65000) for the base kit. The parts are still in their factory-sealed plastic bag. But there are no transparencies or covers for the camera windows of the replacement bomb doors of the PR variant. These transparencies are shown as part '1G' in the supplemental instructions. I find this odd to say the least. Was part 1G included in the base kit? My Valiant kit is in storage and can't be immediately checked.

Now that is very interesting, SR. I just went up to my stash in the loft and checked.

My box has exactly the same as you describe - one sealed plastic bag with the grey plastic parts.  There are no transparencies - as you say 'part1G' on the sheet.   Decals are present.

This is the first time that box has been opened, it still had the Airfix seal on ; that suggests that they were sent out like that.

Drat !  Too long ago to do much about it , though I might drop Airfix a note. 

Thanks for the info. I’m glad to know I have all the parts, but it’s odd that Airfix would include the windows and not the proper bay doors in the actual kit.

Hello Michael,

I bought mine when it was first released. Camera windows were included with the kit just like Tony said. The bomb bay doors have "recesses" on the inner surface to show the correct locations for the windows. As you mentioned the bomb bay doors are wrong for the SR -version. Those Airfix additional parts are "a straight" copy of the original kit parts but they have the window openings. I cut the windows open and rectified the bomb bay doors.

However two windows for the high oblique cameras (at the very rear of the camera bay) were missing from the kit and had to be scratch built. They are not included in the Additional Parts Box.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

Before starting a PR version of the Airfix Valiant you should check out the discussion on December 12, 2012.  I don't know how to link you there directly but the subject was "Valiant camera windows" from stever219.  (There is also useful information on building the kit to be found on the WIP forum under Pinned Useful Topics.)  Briefly, you do not take photos through curved windows - they were flat and recessed.  To protect them from dirt, squashed flies, etc., they were covered by sliding panels when not in use.  The deflector ramp at the rear of the bomb bay was also a different length.

Mike

36 minutes ago, Michou said:

Briefly, you do not take photos through curved windows - they were flat and recessed.  To protect them from dirt, squashed flies, etc., they were covered by sliding panels when not in use.

So the original kit bomb doors without clear windows exposed would be correct for a PR version sitting on the ground at dispersal. And the "extra" bomb doors are not necessary unless you want to use the windows in the kit which wouldn't be seen anyway under normal circumstances, making them redundant! Odd the choices we are given with this kit. Or not given, because all the required items are not included to begin with!. I'd like to have sat in on the meeting at Airfix when they were trying to decide what parts to include and what parts not to include, and why. Heads are probably still spinning. I know mine is!

Edited by Space Ranger

1 hour ago, Space Ranger said:

So the original kit bomb doors without clear windows exposed would be correct for a PR version sitting on the ground at dispersal.

You would need to do a little more work filling and engraving new lines.  If you look at the kit instructions, step 16, part 25C, you can see the bomb bay doors and behind them is the air deflector.  The rectangular panel on the deflector covers the Green Satin antenna.  The PR version has a shorter deflector and between it and the bomb bay there is place for either a survey camera or, in the night role, a flash crate.

Does your head spin clockwise or anticlockwise?  🙂

Mike

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Michou said:

You would need to do a little more work filling and engraving new lines.  If you look at the kit instructions, step 16, part 25C, you can see the bomb bay doors and behind them is the air deflector.  The rectangular panel on the deflector covers the Green Satin antenna.  The PR version has a shorter deflector and between it and the bomb bay there is place for either a survey camera or, in the night role, a flash crate.

Does your head spin clockwise or anticlockwise?  🙂

Mike

Thanks for that.

My head spins clockwise; I live in the Northern Hemisphere. 😄

Hello guys,

as Michou said the earlier conversation is packed with useful information. Here is the link:

It seems I might build another PR Valiant to get a more accurate result😉

Cheers,

Antti