Tamiya 1.48 Bf109 G6

To keep myself entertained and away from the bar (as much!) I like to take a few kits away with me on deployment. After the success I had with the camouflage on the He219 I felt confident trying out some mottling camo and the Bf109 had some great use of mottling. So armed with Tamiya's new release of the Bf109 G6 I dove straight in.

Tamiyas new release was an absolute dream to build, with their tolerances and clever solutions to some of the bigger problems on the 109 (undercarriage angle and strength) it fell together in no time. The added bonus of being able to switch between open and closed engine cowlings was a nice touch.

I tried a new technique with the oils, tried out the dot wash, helped give a bit more depth and interest to the large areas of colour, still got a way to go to perfect the technique though.

So onto the pictures, these were taken down route, so no lightbox to get great lighting as the last posts, but the sun did help.

Any questions or comments please ask away.

Cheeers

Matt

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 49
  • Thanks 1

Great built, excellent paintwork and I like the subtle wash. Your mottling turned out very well!

And I agree, it's a really fantastic kit, shame it's so expensive but you get your money's worth with that engine cowling swap trick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Duncan B said:

you will catch the mottling bug and find yourself knee deep in Bf109s if you are not careful :thumbsup:

Worse places!  

Excellent build and, as others have remarked, superb paint and weathering.  Very realistic.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Vlad said:

Great built, excellent paintwork and I like the subtle wash. Your mottling turned out very well!

it's a really fantastic kit, shame it's so expensive 

I'll say !    As to the expense.. you can get four ICM 109s for one Tamiya Gustav

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, FalkeEins said:

I'll say !    As to the expense.. you can get four ICM 109s for one Tamiya Gustav

I didn't it was an unreasonable price for the amount of build enjoyment, detail and the precision of the parts.

Picked mine up for £32 delivered in Feb, which I thought was spot on pricing.

Matt

1 hour ago, FalkeEins said:

I've seen the sprue shots, you could pay me the equivalent and I wouldn't take them off you 😜 I have a Zvezda F-4 in the post, I'll see if that's the benchmark for budget 1/48 109s or if it's better to stick to Eduard Weekend packs.

56 minutes ago, Angell328 said:

I didn't it was an unreasonable price for the amount of build enjoyment, detail and the precision of the parts.

Picked mine up for £32 delivered in Feb, which I thought was spot on pricing.

Matt

I just spotted that you can get them that cheap on Amazon. £32 is reasonable indeed but I paid £44 for mine and they are ~£40 in the usual places I look for kits. Now I know where to get another if I want one! And now I'm really tempted as well...

Edited by Vlad
  • Like 2

That looks great. It's a superbly engineered kit. And it's not that expensive really. I've had mine on the go for well over a year. Which equates to 1p per minute of modelling enjoyment/frustration/ something else shiny comes along... 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, IanC said:

I've had mine on the go for well over a year. Which equates to 1p per minute of modelling enjoyment/frustration/ something else shiny comes along... 🙂

having wrestled with an ICM 109 recently I'm sure the Tamiya kit must be the more enjoyable experience. 4x as enjoyable ? Quite possibly! 

• Like 2

Excellent attention to detail Matt.  The complex mottle pattern is spot on and well represented.  I like the airfield too!!! 😉

Very nice results!!!! :goodjob:

Mike

• Thanks 1