Hurricane....best kit ??

DaveH

So it's BoB season again, and the urge is there, to make a Hurricane...

So here's the question... what's the best Mk1 kit out there ??

Any scale will do.... but the more accurate the better.

Cheers

Dave

For 1/72nd scale metal covered wing Hurricane I probably the Arma kit. In the same scale the Airfix 'fabric' wing kit is alright, although during the Battle of Britain they were less common. I cannot comment on any other scales as I do not build in them. 

1/72: Arma.  Each to their own of course but I don’t know that I’d bother with the Expert version.  The basic plastic parts with the addition of an Eduard seat harness give almost as good a result.

Edited by Seahawk
  • Like 1

Thanks chaps. Is the Hesegawa good? Any gotchas to watch for? (Says the man who covered his Rearwin by writing a Hurricane book!)

I realised the other day, that my collection of aircraft that have a connection to me, like the Memorial Flight World War One Aircraft, Neville Duke’s aircraft, the Phantom that bust the sound Barrier at Lee on Solent during the 1969 show, and others (if only someone made a 1/32 Rearwin Cloudster withthe reg on the wrong wing.....) Should be joined by a Hurricane and I remembered that when I was doing ‘Flying Visit’ for Aeroplane I was actually on the phone talking to Tim Elkington 70 years to the second from when he was shot down, so he sort of joins the list.

i am sure I can get stencils of decals for the codes but I will need the nose art.

• Like 2

Goes together beautifully but has a number of problems.  Better as a Mk.II than a Mk.I but for the price it is Arma every time.  The basic kit can be converted to a Mk.I but not without residual problems.  These have been discussed ad nausem over the years, so do a search if you can be bothered.

2 hours ago, MACALAIN said:

Yes, it is the Hasegawa kit withe new decals

Alain

You're thinking of the 1/72 Hobby 2000 kit Alain, the Fly kit is their own tool in 1/32 :) 

Another vote for the Arma Hobby 1/72 Hurricane here...

On 7/9/2020 at 7:56 AM, Duncan B said:

Arma are bringing out a Hurricane MK.1 BoB special, should be available soon for around £12.50 from a decent online retailer :coolio:

Duncan B

Are you taking pre-orders yet Duncan?

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

On 09/07/2020 at 11:41, melvyn hiscock said:

Do Fly do a Mk1?

2 hours ago, MACALAIN said:

Yes, it is the Hasegawa kit withe new decals

Alain

in 72nd, yes.   In 32nd, No, it's Flys own kit

1 hour ago, melvyn hiscock said:

Thanks chaps. Is the Hesegawa good? Any gotchas to watch for? (Says the man who covered his Rearwin by writing a Hurricane book!)

Just to clarify, it's a 72nd kit reboxed.  

1 hour ago, melvyn hiscock said:

I realised the other day, that my collection of aircraft that have a connection to me, like the Memorial Flight World War One Aircraft, Neville Duke’s aircraft, the Phantom that bust the sound Barrier at Lee on Solent during the 1969 show, and others (if only someone made a 1/32 Rearwin Cloudster withthe reg on the wrong wing.....) Should be joined by a Hurricane and I remembered that when I was doing ‘Flying Visit’ for Aeroplane I was actually on the phone talking to Tim Elkington 70 years to the second from when he was shot down, so he sort of joins the list.

i am sure I can get stencils of decals for the codes but I will need the nose art.

I corresponded with Mr Elkington for a while, after "finding" him on Key Forum and sending him a message, which was fascinating.

His  marking for P3173 /JX-O with "The Jeep" are on DK Decals 1 sq sheet but only in 72nd.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/DKD72059

8 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Goes together beautifully but has a number of problems.  Better as a Mk.II than a Mk.I but for the price it is Arma every time.  The basic kit can be converted to a Mk.I but not without residual problems.  These have been discussed ad nausem over the years, so do a search if you can be bothered.

Indeed.  That is the 72nd kit.

Arma also do a 72nd IIc. 

Shame Arma  didn't set their moulds up to to then just do a sprue with a B wing, as then you could do most Mk.II easily.

By most I mean the IID and IV are relatively rare, around 300 IId's and 600 IV's,  and both are simple conversions from a IIc

2 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

You're thinking of the 1/72 Hobby 2000 kit Alain, the Fly kit is their own tool in 1/32 :) 

Another vote for the Arma Hobby 1/72 Hurricane here...

Are you taking pre-orders yet Duncan?

Cheers,

Stew

Yes Hobby 2000 for the Mk I, Fly do a Mk IIa and a Mk II b in 1/72 with the Hasegawa kit inside ( 72043 and 72044)

But I prefer the Arma model

Alain

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

I corresponded with Mr Elkington for a while, after "finding" him on Key Forum and sending him a message, which was fascinating.

His  marking for P3173 /JX-O with "The Jeep" are on DK Decals 1 sq sheet but only in 72nd.

Arma also do a 72nd IIc. 

Shame Arma  didn't set their moulds up to to then just do a sprue with a B wing, as then you could do most Mk.II easily.

By most I mean the IID and IV are relatively rare, around 300 IId's and 600 IV's,  and both are simple conversions from a IIc

Perhaps Arma would like to produce other Hurricane then Mk I and Mk IIc in a nearest futur ????

They will annonce their next kit end of this month!

Most of the time aircraft flew by Polish pilots

Alain

So the 1/32 I am doing my research on (thanks you Mr Boak for you kind words) is their own mould and a good one. So that is that then.

no more talk about Arma

5 minutes ago, MACALAIN said:

2 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Arma also do a 72nd IIc. 

I am sorry, but I do not know nothing about 1/32 kits, with nearly 3000 models made in 1/72, I have no space for 1/32 kits

Alain

16 hours ago, MACALAIN said:

I am sorry, but I do not know nothing about 1/32 kits, with nearly 3000 models made in 1/72, I have no space for 1/32 kits

Alain

I have no space  for 1/32! This place is so small the spiders claim rent subsidies, but fingers badly affected by chemo and as for life expectancy? Well, I don’t know, ( a good friend joked don’t start any box sets or buy green bananas as I may not get time to finish them - and it was funny enough to kick me out of the ‘down’ I was in then). I’ve no time for 3000 kits either. I’m sure you didn’t expect it to be 3000 this quickly either. I reckon I could write a list of 3000 without pausing for breath, although , at over 60 I would have to pause if I needed a pee! As for any more, then as soon as the travel problems are over and we’re back to being genuinely safe (I am WAY up the vulnerable list) it’ll be back to visiting countries I can still get to and looking at cathedrals, Aeroplane museums, art galleries, lucky places we chance upon (Bescancon in France has a great clock museum for example), And getting to see as many friends as possible. Luckily for my wife, most of my ‘stash’ is Wingnuts so, for the moment at least, they are going up in price for some.

Thanks for the recommendation in 72nd, but I only have to *say* the scale and a piece of plastic disappears into a carpet somewhere in the universe.

Big thanks to Troy to for the Fly recommendation and memories of Tim, I only spoke to him once for the Aeroplane article and finding we were speaking at the exact time 70 years later as he’d been shot down was strange. He did seem a genuinely nice man.

Be careful of amassing too much stuff, as this is true story, although not kits - I can’t remember who (it was years ago and it would be unfair to name anyhow). Someone I knew was having problems in their cottage, doors sticking and stuff and so a friend who was a structural engineer had a look. All was a mystery until he put his head through the loft hatch, came down and said ‘move that lot NOW’

Apparently his book stash, in boxes at one end of the loft, was in genuine danger of bringing one end of the cottage down!

oh, sorry for the part quote, I hit a wrong button and, as you probably know, deleting things is not straightforward. I didn’t mean to disturb you

Edited by melvyn hiscock
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, melvyn hiscock said:

I have no space  for 1/32! This place is so small the spiders claim rent subsidies, but fingers badly affected by chemo and as for life expectancy? Well, I don’t know, ( a good friend joked don’t start any box sets or buy green bananas as I may not get time to finish them - and it was funny enough to kick me out of the ‘down’ I was in then). I’ve no time for 3000 kits either. I’m sure you didn’t expect it to be 3000 this quickly either. I reckon I could write a list of 3000 without pausing for breath, although , at over 60 I would have to pause if I needed a pee! As for any more, then as soon as the travel problems are over and we’re back to being genuinely safe (I am WAY up the vulnerable list) it’ll be back to visiting countries I can still get to and looking at cathedrals, Aeroplane museums, art galleries, lucky places we chance upon (Bescancon in France has a great clock museum for example), And getting to see as many friends as possible. Luckily for my wife, most of my ‘stash’ is Wingnuts so, for the moment at least, they are going up in price for some.

Thanks for the recommendation in 72nd, but I only have to *say* the scale and a piece of plastic disappears into a carpet somewhere in the universe.

Big thanks to Troy to for the Fly recommendation and memories of Tim, I only spoke to him once for the Aeroplane article and finding we were speaking at the exact time 70 years later as he’d been shot down was strange. He did seem a genuinely nice man.

Be careful of amassing too much stuff, as this is true story, although not kits - I can’t remember who (it was years ago and it would be unfair to name anyhow). Someone I knew was having problems in their cottage, doors sticking and stuff and so a friend who was a structural engineer had a look. All was a mystery until he put his head through the loft hatch, came down and said ‘move that lot NOW’

Apparently his book stash, in boxes at one end of the loft, was in genuine danger of bringing one end of the cottage down!

oh, sorry for the part quote, I hit a wrong button and, as you probably know, deleting things is not straightforward. I didn’t mean to disturb you

ps Alain, I just saw you are in Belgium, when I can travel again I’d like to see the bow of HMS Vindictive as My great uncle was on her For the assault against the Mole. If I did that there would be Belgian beer to drink too!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, melvyn hiscock said:

ps Alain, I just saw you are in Belgium, when I can travel again I’d like to see the bow of HMS Vindictive as My great uncle was on her For the assault against the Mole. If I did that there would be Belgian beer to drink too!

Always welcome in Belgium.

and also always wecome to see my collection of models ( a life of modeling,. I have always my primary models of more than 50 years ago)

Alain

• Like 1