AMK F-14D 1/48 in flight

spacer.png

The instructions only shown two UHF antennas to be added, yet they are of the same size. It is clearly the TACAN/UHF antenna should be taller. So i borrowed one from my Tamiya F-14D Super Tomcat kit. Tamiya has two of it, yet I have to used only one 

spacer.png

Now all things are on except for load outs. It reminds me of the good old days with Hasegawa Tomcat kits when you can choose to extend the slats and flaps. And this is the very reason that I chose AMK F-14D over its Tamiya counterpart. Perfect fitting is important, but it is not everything 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

It is time to move onto the external stores: the LANTIRN and TARPS pods are first to build

here are some step by step painting pics

1) Cover the camera windows with masking tape, then cut along the edge of windows to reveal the glasses

spacer.png

2) AMK did not provide any interior details to its TARPS pod, so I just painted the window with dark gray (followed by a layer of clear coat)

spacer.png

3) slightly weather the pods

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

4) put on the decals, the decals should work well with Mr. Marker Setter. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

having completed the AIM-54C Phoenix and rear bomb pallets, one more step closer to load the JDAMs and LGBs... this is the largest project i haver ever build... an epic build which last five months

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by ZHOU Kun

Painting the bombs: the GBU-16 Paveway II was extensively used during Operation Enduring Freedom. A full load of GBU-16s was chosen for my work, as a quad bomber at that time

Here are some painting process pictures:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• 4 months later...

Awesome. Build well done! Only thing i would of done differently would be have spoliers at mid position for the DLC system used on approach where iirc three spoilers are in the mid open position and cycle open and closed on command.

But they do pop down when aircraft goes low on the ball and get stowed momentarily until back in the groove.

Been wanting to do an F-14 like this for ages thanks for the motivation!