AMK F-14D 1/48 in flight

I used Gunze GSI paint for most of the painting work. I started to painted various smaller parts after painting the three main camoflage tones. The first to paint is the red edges on the slats and trailing edge flaps.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And this is what it look like under the sun

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

it is time to move onto some silver parts: is it supposed to be anti ice devices in the leading edge of slats and engine intake cowls? Also the pitot tube, gun vent and muzzle is painted with silver

https://wx1.sinaimg.cn/mw1024/5140406agy1gh71lkq34uj21hc0u07ba.jpgspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

Wow, simply wow. I can't believe I didn't see this build sooner. Brilliant modelling and great presentation. Keep up the fantastic work that you do, I look forward to seeing it complete.

Nasos

• Like 1

On 28/07/2020 at 17:54, ZHOU Kun said:

The in-flight-trio in my cupboard: it is a real fun to build aircraft models as they are in flight, rather than be on the ground

I thought it was a real plane photo! 👍 Beautiful work.

• Like 1

AMK kit has provided Furball Aero Design decals, they are thin, soft. The decals reacts decently with Gunze Mr. Mark Softer. I worked a day applying all the decals for the airframe, the outcome seems good. Now the airframe is almost complete, except for some small parts (the pitot tubes, air data sensors, anti collision lights and navigation lights) With the wings at minimum sweep angle, the Super Tomcat can barely be fitted into a 35cm depth cupboard

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

The fitting of AMK's Tomcat kit was of course inferior to its Tamiya counterpart, yet it has a lot more details provided. It has slats, flaps, airbrakes. It does have shape issue with nose section and rear fuselage, yet can be fixed with a file and some epoxy putties. Most of the fitting problems can be solved by doing more test fitting, yet I still had problem with the part where the nose and center fuselage joins. This problem also brought about fitting issues when you wanted to close the canopy. 

As fore the fittings for landing gear struts: I glued the main gear strut in place with its side strut plugged into the hole on the outside of intake trunk, yet had to leave the drag strut not contacting anything (it was intened to be fitted to the pivot fitting). As for nose wheels, the AMK wheels were too small when compared to Tamiya wheels, so I replaced them with two Tamiya nose wheels. The fitting of landing gear doors did not go OK when test fitting but surprisingly went okay when I glued them. I just align them along the hinge line and the hinge fitted into the bay without much difficulty 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by ZHOU Kun
  • Like 5

The IRST/TCS dual chin pod. IRST dome was polished with Tamiya Polishing Compound, while the seam between two halves has not been treated carefully, it is a pity 

spacer.png

spacer.png

the navigation lights on the wing box did not fit well with the pit, some sanding was done. The port navigation lights were painted red while the starboard ones was painted with dark clear red. all paints comes from Mr. Color by GSI. On the starboard side of nose, there are also total temperature probe, pitot tube and angle-of-attack probe. All were painted with GSI's Super Metallic Stainless Steel, covered with a thin layer of clear orange to achieve a titanium like finish 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The port side of nose: two different AOA probes and a pitot tube was added, all were painted with Stainless Steel with a thin layer of clear orange covering. Note the yaw string, which was made of a tooth brush hair 

spacer.png