AMK F-14D 1/48 in flight

Hello, this is my ongoing project: An F-14D Super Tomcat in flight, probably in take off phase. Here is what the project is like now

spacer.png

spacer.png

And I would like to share the whole project from the beginning. 

• Like 6

This is a project to complete the F-14 to F/A-18 collection. I have already completed projects such as F-15C Eagle, F-16C Fighting Falcon and F/A-18 Hornet(in the form of EF-18AM). For this time I planned to build an F-14 in flight, but with landing gear hung down. So I chose the AMK version of F-14D

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

The story began with the nose section as most of the aircraft projects do.  AMK provided two very detailed seats, which featured most of the ejection actuation mechanisms behind the seats. 

spacer.png

As for the seams between the two halves, I chose to cover them with masking tapes. I hate unnacessary fill and sand works

spacer.png

As I was going to depict an aircraft in flight, I placed two spare Tamiya F-14 pilots from one of my friend in Beijing

spacer.png

As the pilots were from Tamiya F-14A kit, I changed the heads with Hasegawa ones as they wore HGU-55P helmets

spacer.png

The cockpit was painted simply with Light Gray Gunze C308, all other details were brought up by kit decals and a little washing

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

I had read threads in forums that the fitting of fuselage of AMK's Tomcat was not quite decent. So I took more care about dry fitting. There were air intake trunks, positionable shockwave ramps, bleed air doors, main landing gear bays in the middle section of fuselage. One had to pay extreme attentions to make sure everything was in position, otherwise it would bring a lot more sanding and filling work

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

It would be great practice if you remove the seams from slide-moulding, as shown below on nacelles.

spacer.png

• Like 2

Once I had clear the path through dry fitting, I began working on the two F110-GE-400 Turbofans.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Below: a reference photo from DACO's Uncovering the Grumman F-14A/B/D Tomcat, showing the inside of F110 afterburner

spacer.png

• Like 2

Installing the components in the middle fuselage takes great care, if you don't want to have troubles joining upper and lower halves of fuselage

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Some small parts were glued in place with instant glue, because they were did not fit with fuselage quite neatly. I just didn't want to hold the little parts in place for a whole day!

spacer.png

Masking tape was necessary when closing the upper and lower halves

spacer.png

• Like 4

First try with flap-down-wings. And for the first time the airframe is put on the pole. I hadn't installed pole hold inside the fuselage then. I was just trying to figure out how to support the Tomcat model, preferrably somewhere near aft fuselage. It was a huge plane, I tried it with steel poles whose outer diameter was 3 milimeters, it worked

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

then the top and bottomo halves of fuselage can be glued together. But the shape of nose section is NOT decent!

spacer.png

I check up the threads in ARC forums and reached a conclusion that the bottom of nose sections needed to be trimmed flat. But how? with a FILE!!!!   As shown below, it look a lot better after a lot of sanding with FILEs. The pallets for Phoenix missiles and large air-to-ground weapons fitted good with the fuselage

spacer.png

And this is how it look now: FAR BETTER!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by ZHOU Kun
  • Like 1

Modifying landing gear legs was familiar to me, since I had done it twice: One with F/A-18F Super Hornet(Hasegawa), the other with EF-18AM (Kinetic, yes still a Hornet) But the first try did come out with instant glue going everywhere, also the outer tube of main gear strut was almost destroyed. I would like to extend my gratitude to Sio, the boss of AMK, who warm heartedly send me another copy of landing gear struts. This time I planted a thin tube inside, as the backbone of landing gear strut. A thicker tube acted as the shock strut inner tube.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The file with triangular cross section was used to cut the out tubes (actually by sanding it to make holes on tubes, than breaked it off)

spacer.png

flat file was used to trim the end of tube, as to make it neat 

spacer.png

it worked out good

spacer.png

• Like 2

As for the nose gear, i determined the wheels were too small (I had made a comparison with wheels from Tamiya Tomcats) And the shock strut of AMK kit did not extend enough to represent the extended nose gear strut

spacer.png

spacer.png

As shown below. When in air and on ground(extended, not compressed) the ratio between length of outer tube and inner tube that is exposed to outside should be approximately 3 to 2. That is how I determined the length of steel tube for the new gear

spacer.png

It also work good

spacer.png

• Like 1

I chose the split-part-canopy over the clear one. This design is really interesting and the mock up seemed OK

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Also, as you can see from the photo above, one of the major issues with AMK's Tomcat kit is being fixed with Tamiya's epoxy putty

spacer.png

This time the AMK Tomcat began to look like a real Tomcat, I was happy with the result

spacer.png

spacer.png

When compared to a Super Hornet, it is still a very large aircraft

spacer.png

• Like 1

Time to install the windshield and canopy. I painted both inside and outside of the frames

spacer.png

As for canopy, I applied some putty to the bottom of it to make the seam not so obvious

spacer.png

spacer.png

Sanded it, this time it would be OK

spacer.png

• Like 2

I worked on the exhaust nozzles. Giving it a black base before applying super metal colors. I applied the paint by spraying with the nozzle masked

spacer.png 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Not weathered yet...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

Time to work on the main landing gears. Adding drag struts, hydraulic adaptors, downlock actuators, jack pads(right beneath the gear shock strut). Also added are the hydraulic lines for wheel brakes (connecting outer tube of shock strut and the brake units) 

The hydraulic lines are metal pipes that are pressurized to 3000psi, so they are rigid. When the shock absorber strut moves, there are rotating adaptors between every movable parts: such as upper torsion link, lower torsion link, and inner tube

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The landing gear extension/retraction actuator has not been added yet. As shown below, pic from DACO's Uncovering Grumman F-14A/B/D Tomcat

spacer.png

• Like 3

On 10/07/2020 at 18:40, ZHOU Kun said:

And this is how it look now: FAR BETTER!

Excellent work, now the nose shape looks very realistic.

On 10/07/2020 at 19:05, ZHOU Kun said:

As for the nose gear, i determined the wheels were too small (I had made a comparison with wheels from Tamiya Tomcats) And the shock strut of AMK kit did not extend enough to represent the extended nose gear strut

I’ve never thought that AMK kit has such an issues... Great progress so far! 👏

• Like 1

The gears got their colors:

As for the wheels

Step1: I used a mixture with Gunze C33 (matt black) and a drop of white to paint the tyres

Step2: Apply masking tapes to the wheels and press the tape so as to follow the edge of wheel rims

Step3: Use a sharp modeling knife to cut out the shape of rims, and make the rims exposed, then spray paint the rims with white paint

As for gear struts:

I just masked the oleos then painted the strut white. The hydraulic lines on the torsion links, landing lights and the marks on the tow bars are hand painted

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...