The Other Tim's 1/48 Fujumi Bf110D-0 - 1st Staffel Erprobungsgruppe 210 - S9+HH Wr 3384 - 24th Sept 1940

I'm having the same issue with mine. Whether to install the canopy  before or after painting. So far I have black based and done the pre-shaded mottling. Now I think I will attach the front and main center section canopies and stuff foam in the pilot and gunner areas. This is because I will be having an open cockpit setup. 

The advantage of doing it this way is you can sort out any bad fits before committing paint. I have found that even if I dry fit a canopy first and get a good fit I end up with an issue once it is glued. Never sure why.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Now the other 3 builds are nearing completion I have refocused on this one.

done some basic loose marbling with Mr Color RLM 65 and Radome on the underneath and sides where RLM 65 will be.

I used extra dark sea grey to highlight the panel lines.

inthen build up the Mr Paint RLM 65 in slow layers trying keep some tonal variation. 

im conscious much of the side areas will end up with RLM02 and 71 mottle...

2TYSeKa.jpg

JxmZHUi.jpg

4KY5Ip9.jpg

dLO2hGM.jpg

b9yxtBd.jpg

next I will probably tape of the RLM 02 areas and again use some different colours to marble underneath - same again with the RLM71...

will probably need to blue tac the fuselage demarcation and put black primer on again first.

for this model I think I will masking tape the wing camo demarcations 

240940x-jpg.180246

• Like 3

Nice paintwork Tim B) 

In the photo you can see the correct layout for the squadron badge and the tortoise nose-art, it is reversed on the decal - well actually you can't see the gruppe's 'Bombsight' badge, but it goes just under the forward cockpit windscreen on both sides.

Cheers, 

Stew

• Thanks 1

Rough mask up to get the RLM02 on. Typically forgot to take a pic of the marbling over the black base...I used Radome Tan, Swedish blue to marble and dark Gunship Gray for the panel lines - I think theres a bit of tonal variation, I slowly build up the RLM02 over the top. Mr Paint is great for this.

Used blu tac for the fuselage demarcation, in the Bomb site over England book various airframes in 1st Staffel had various approaches, the actual pics are hard to define but seem to have some fairly straight edges mixed with a bit of overspray etc...I used @Stew Dapple 1/72 build as my camo guideline as the instructions do not seem to match references in the book. 

lb7a8OQ.jpg

pKY9SGd.jpg

jM8IC1o.jpg

uyrmFOe.jpg

oI31aHv.jpg

FoWnv2W.jpg

Eagle eyed amongst you will notice I removed the canopy - in my hurry to get to paint I did not put the 2 radio parts inside....will do that over night and get it back on before the RLM 71 goes on....

Will need to accurately mask off the RLM02 tomorrow - Mr Paint dries within a couple of hours, but worth letting it harden a bit to prevent paint lift...

• Like 3

Cracking on....

As ever I didn't quite get the RLMo2 in all the correct places - so have masked any way ready for RLM71.....I will then complete the RLM02!

17Nw1uJ.jpg

Used RLM02 to loosely marble and a Light earth for the panel lines

1R1XHEV.jpg

RLM71 in slow light layers.... one wing done

aIRMrPT.jpg

Both wings - on reflection I made have made that 1 pass too many...

KmZgGQq.jpg

jyzLqA7.jpg

f3xab4Y.jpg

Unmask and address the RLM02

VaY4zw0.jpg

start the mottle on the sides using both colours....

ju8lbJ9.jpg

BjpRCDR.jpg

blend it all back with a bit of RLM65 mist cote....

89fx35J.jpg

oTa3jeU.jpg

gaIaUSb.jpg

UYibq7f.jpg

seems ok...the fluro lights do not really help show the colours and variations etc....

In theory does not need gloss as Mr Paint leaves a smooth finish, but will stick some X22/MLT over the top....

• Like 4

Gloss clear cote on, mix of Tamiya X22 and Mr Levelling Thinners - I always spray a mist cote of pure MLT over the top of the wet clear - seems to level well and harden.

tRLRkjn.jpg

E8jKG0n.jpg

KHhtmD3.jpg

decals next - @Stew Dapple can you remember if they behaved ok ?

need to look at the periphery’s etc now.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

To be honest mate I don't remember, but that might be a positive; if they'd been awful I probably would remember :D

Cheers,

Stew

So I found out today....

5deAR5p.jpg

Crosses and letters disintegrated...

Had a fight and rescued some items, but the swastikas are not great either - had to use some spares from my sheet for the Eduard Bf109, but the lower wing crosses are too small, no letters and 1 of the bombsight decals split up...

I am buying another set in the hope I just got a bad set....depending on some testing I may remove some of my S9 + HH lettering etc which I bodged as best I can...

aPgTDrt.jpg

ggc74Ix.jpg

LsGg3Kb.jpg

vIDNOjg.jpg

YZ4tTL3.jpg

12hiPC8.jpg

8SJtSoa.jpg

5rz2can.jpg

Not sure whether to use Mr Softer on the decals or is that too risky!!

• Like 4

Aw Tim, that's harsh mate :( That certainly didn't happen with mine, or I'd still be seething about it now.

All the same, I'd keep the code letters, you've made a good save on them. When you get the new set, maybe try a little decal softener on one you won't be using to make sure it won't melt it?

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So the second set of decals were the same....I managed to get the unit emblem on the Stbd sid, the H's underneath that are surgically re-joined and some of the stencils etc...

m5qHeRV.jpg

4VPoGm8.jpg

rwAXkpK.jpg

8ydw5Eh.jpg

xGNTTFb.jpg

r82ngUE.jpg

iWXDq2K.jpg

Sealed in with good old Tamiya X22

3ZWWORS.jpg

G0BADSx.jpg

Some Tamiya Panel line accent - I removed the remaining bit on the Port wing!

m2QnpAX.jpg

ETscZGj.jpg

ZY2qrtl.jpg

Want to get some over and under wing exhaust effect using inks next, before getting the Dullcote out....hopefully edging close to the line...

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of weathering, exhausts on and dullcote done.

canopy on - week to go to get the last bits on, antenna wire etc..

Q3FrZpT.jpg

M4XSVT9.jpg

TRxvAJf.jpg

ZTR4aoA.jpg

dltL11E.jpg

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Excellent work Tim, are you displaying it on a stand?

Cheers,

Stew

It will have to go on the garage rafters with the rest - must sort out some type of display cabinet....

• Like 1

Finished....

Thanks for all the help along the way, enjoyed this GB and am no longer scared of Luftwaffe mottling or wire antennas!

Will stick 5 pics in the gallery.

zHKKcFM.jpg

JmHhBHj.jpg

LkgRe6Z.jpg

RylsyWg.jpg

p3thopH.jpg

UQ9hztj.jpg

smhlvJG.jpg

0RHEgHX.jpg

HbnmsAj.jpg

9InNRt9.jpg

fDjPdOL.jpg