The Other Tim's 1/48 Fujumi Bf110D-0 - 1st Staffel Erprobungsgruppe 210 - S9+HH Wr 3384 - 24th Sept 1940

My next build continues with Erprobungsgruppe 210 - this time I want to build a Bf110D. I have no link to this other than my mother lives in Southampton, over which the aircraft was targeting the Supermarine works on the night of 24th Sept 1940.

Interestingly one of my other builds, a Spitfire flown by Crelin Bodie, is mentioned in my main reference source for the build, Bombsites over Britain, by John J Vasco. His Sqn, 66 Sqn RAF, engaged 3 x Bf110 over Aldebugh, downing 1 x Bf110D.

This build will be of Bf110D-0 of the 1st Staffel, Wr 2284 coded S9 + HH.

I will be also using the 1/72 build that @Stew Dapple completed back in 2014 as my paint reference etc as he'd done some previous research that showed a slightly different approach than the decals set.

The aircraft was hit by anti aircraft fire that night and crashed into the channel.

The 22  year old pilot, Lt Ulrich Freiherr von de Horst and 24 year old W/T Op, Ogefr Franz Ollers were listed as killed in action, their bodies never recovered. Ogefr Ollers would have celebrated his 25th birthday 2 days later. The Luftwaffe list the aircraft as shot down by fighters, although there are no traceable claims. 

240940x-jpg.180246

Sold as new, when I opened the box there are signs of a few scratches, maybe sanding and copious notes on the instructions - thats E Bay for you! Should be fine though.

WzTtcvG.jpg

Have some Montex Masks - didn't fancy that masking task !

xs9aV8E.jpg

DSCN1781.jpg&key=db844e91a81bc522c583176

yCPxX1G.jpg

@Stew Dapple - you mention some tinkering with the personal marking/unit marking on your thread, can i ask what that was?

I have not done any WW2 Luftwaffe camo before, so plan a bit of practice on a paint mule. I have Mr Paint paints, but not sure it will work with a stipple brush etc, also have Mr Color that I may be able to thin to allow this.

Any top tips on mottling appreciated - one of my builds will need real tight mottle that an airbrush just won't do....

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 7

53 minutes ago, Tim Moff said:

@Stew Dapple - you mention some tinkering with the personal marking/unit marking on your thread, can i ask what that was?

Hi Tim,

I don't remember for certain, but I think it was just a matter of separating the tortoise nose-art from the squadron bombsight marking; if you apply them as they are on one side it will be tortoise forward/bombsight back (as it should be) but on the other it would be bombsight forward/tortoise back - the tortoise should be nearer the nose and the bombsight badge nearer the canopy on both sides. Hope that helps?

Cheers,

Stew

Edit - oh yes, as for mottling, I've had mixed success but if you can turn down the air pressure, keep the paint mix quite thin (and airy if you can adjust that too) and get in close that generally puts me in the right area and from there it is a matter of how successfully you can fine-tune it :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out, I can’t wait till Friday as this kit is my first build. I went for the Montex canopy masks.

• Like 2

I have built 3 1/72 versions of this kit so far (identical box art I see) with one more in the stash and quite like it, though I gather it may not be entirely accurate. One word of caution, it was probably me being thick but I ended up putting the exhaust stacks on upside down on all 3 as they were done in a batch. Looking at the instructions of the one in the stash I think I did not grasp that the pic showed them from the bottom side (I think) - it is hidden away at the momernt so I can't check. Hopefully the instructions of the 1/48 version are clearer!

I was thinking of one from the same unit, but maybe with an experimental 30mm cannon  installation - 110 C-6 I think - must dig my references out. I think I read that they used it for strafing, possibly mixed in with their C-4B - may be wrong.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 12:18 PM, PeterB said:

I have built 3 1/72 versions of this kit so far (identical box art I see) with one more in the stash and quite like it, though I gather it may not be entirely accurate. One word of caution, it was probably me being thick but I ended up putting the exhaust stacks on upside down on all 3 as they were done in a batch. Looking at the instructions of the one in the stash I think I did not grasp that the pic showed them from the bottom side (I think) - it is hidden away at the momernt so I can't check. Hopefully the instructions of the 1/48 version are clearer!

I was thinking of one from the same unit, but maybe with an experimental 30mm cannon  installation - 110 C-6 I think - must dig my references out. I think I read that they used it for strafing, possibly mixed in with their C-4B - may be wrong.

Cheers

Pete

Thanks - yes looked at the exhaust stacks, seem to show them facing up one side and down the other! Will certainly look at pics as reference.

I got some bits off the sprues and primed, used the badger primer through my Iwata Neo 0.3, got a bit blocked up, pushing 30 psi through a bit weird, I am more a SOTAR/Mr Paint/7 PSI person! Got it all done, will prime the other bits in white due to final colours/ease....

Im taking it that the 2 larger 500KG bombs were kinda standard....

I've never build Luftwaffe WW2 but I take it that most is RLM 02 during this period....will look at some other builds,...

rvgyK8R.jpg

Plan is to get most of the kits I am doing off the sprue, primed so I can use economy of time, paint and cleaning etch at the initial internal stage of the painting/build....

• Like 5

Nice start Tim,

not to curse your build, the wings and the fuselage fit together really well with minimal filler. I found fitting the cockpit the small side wall for the rear, need to sit under those on the fuselage to get a snug fit. Once I worked that out of here were no gaps.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Nice start Tim,

not to curse your build, the wings and the fuselage fit together really well with minimal filler. I found fitting the cockpit the small side wall for the rear, need to sit under those on the fuselage to get a snug fit. Once I worked that out of here were no gaps.

Thanks Ozzy,

Will take a test shot when the time comes just to make sure I am doing what you are saying!

Would it mainly be RLM02 inside?

Anyone have a view on the exhaust stacks - pics seem to show outer pointing up, inner pointing down? Seems to be what the instructions insinuate as well?

44.jpg

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Tim Moff said:

Thanks Ozzy,

Will take a test shot when the time comes just to make sure I am doing what you are saying!

Would it mainly be RLM02 inside?

Anyone have a view on the exhaust stacks - pics seem to show outer pointing up, inner pointing down? Seems to be what the instructions insinuate as well?

44.jpg

No worries,

RLM 02 was used in the early war years With RLM 66 introduced during 1940. The instructors are correct the 110 had up and down facing exhausts. Makes them unique.

depending if your building a season aircraft from the various campaigns or a brand new replacement. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

No worries,

RLM 02 was used in the early war years With RLM 66 introduced during 1940. The instructors are correct the 110 had up and down facing exhausts. Makes them unique.

depending if your building a season aircraft from the various campaigns or a brand new replacement. 

Thanks - looking at the airframe it was fairly seasoned, others I have seen built, including @Stew Dapple 1/72 have been in the RLM 02 so will go with that.

• Like 1

I just thought I would mention that a known issue with this kit is the fuselage's tail area is about a millimeter too narrow.  There is more information on the net about it should you want to deal with it. A lot of builder just live with it. 

I have the Cyber-hobby kit that I plan to do in a similar scheme S9-CK using the decals out of my Eduard kit.  However, it will be most likely after this GB.

Looking at my Eduard instructions the cockpit pit was generally RLM66 except for the front right console which had it's walls RLM02,  but the top was RLM66.  The seats were RLM66. 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 10:19 AM, Greg Law said:

I just thought I would mention that a known issue with this kit is the fuselage's tail area is about a millimeter too narrow.  There is more information on the net about it should you want to deal with it. A lot of builder just live with it. 

I have the Cyber-hobby kit that I plan to do in a similar scheme S9-CK using the decals out of my Eduard kit.  However, it will be most likely after this GB.

Looking at my Eduard instructions the cockpit pit was generally RLM66 except for the front right console which had it's walls RLM02,  but the top was RLM66.  The seats were RLM66. 

Thanks - I will leave the tail, I lack the skills to do any surgery, more a combat medic type!

Had a bit of time, just to paint the RLM02 on - going to go with that rather than the later scheme as pers Stu's.

P94lsRK.jpg

Hopefully be able to crack on with them all this week, a bit of leave coming up as well.

• Like 6

Bit more done 

0B4jJJx.jpg

hopefully get the crew done soon and get it closed up.

dis they wear coveralls or dress uniform or leather jackets in the BoB?

will do a bit of googling !

• Like 6

" - yes looked at the exhaust stacks, seem to show them facing up one side and down the other! Will certainly look at pics as reference."

Hi Tim, you have probably got this sussed anyway, but from the Osprey Aircraft of the Aces books the unshrouded exhausts were upwards on the outboard and downwards on the inboard of both the port and starboard engines.  In short - outboard upwards, inboard downwards.

The later Nightfighter shouds were different (upward on all but the starboard inboard exhaust shroud).

9 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

dis they wear coveralls or dress uniform or leather jackets in the BoB?

You could probably get away with any of the three, certainly for fighter crews; bomber and Zerstörer crews were more likely to be wearing the tan-coloured summer-weight overalls during the BoB but is is one of those ones where you can take your pick secure in the knowledge that you are extremely unlikely to be proven wrong :D 

Cheers, 

Stew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some work done and got the main fuse done.

3hwe3sl.jpg

pRP27qI.jpg

Nose on

z5pHNb8.jpg

The W/Op - Gunner seems to be in quite a relaxed position, wouldn't go any other way. Will leave the gun mount etc until it has to go in dare I break it.....the rear wheel is already a worry!

• Like 9

Nice progress Tim, I had the same reservations about the tail wheel not sure how it managed to stay on.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some more work done.

as ever the model is not designed for a wheels up build so I had to do some cutting and paring and Sanding and swearing.

result is ok, hopefully nothing a bit of filler won’t hide!

JSZ7Lpe.jpg

dspFS6Z.jpg

il7Ioid.jpg

as a build the fit has been great, engine nacelles on etc 

9NXAT6T.jpg

Big question -as a Bf110D-0 which tail end should I use ? The shorter one or longer ? Believe it housed a dinghy ?

zbGfJa0.jpg

test fit if the wings looks ok .... not too far off priming - but the heat and humidity forecast this week means it’s probably best to delay any airbrush work - canopy masking it is then 🤣🙈... what colour are the frames, same as main camo? Interior ?

NFma6EK.jpg

thanks in advance for any advice/info !

• Like 9

FYI,

The exhausts are indeed up on one side and down on the other, it's just that on my 1/72 version I did not notice that the intruction view was from underneath so I ended up with them the wrong way round - the up ones were down etc. And yes, the NF version of the 110G was different due to the large shrouds. The starboard inboard exhaust pointed down but all the rest pointed up - there was a small intake in the way of the odd one out.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

another no go garage painting day 🤣 much too hot.

ideally I’d get all builds to the primer stage together! So it was get some more masking done. These were Montex masks.  Easy to use and saved a lot of faff.

oyyLFXZ.jpg

so on a roll I got out the Eduard Bf109 canopy and masks that came with the Helmut Wick decals - they were not quite right and on checking found they were designed for the Hasegawa kit... so will be some tape and no7 blade, tweezers and sweet and patience !

now a question - for all the experienced Bf110 builders, when does the glass go on ?

Will be closed , wheels up ... so...

1 - attach canopy parts to the fuselage, use some sponge to fill the gunners opening, paint on the RLM02 (inner frame look) then the camo colour then add the gun at the end of the build?

2 - mask the inside spray the RLM02! Followed by the main camo colour. Mask open cockpit area, prime/paint and add gun, then attach canopy ?

advice gladly received !

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 3