RAF Chinook colour

PhantomBigStu

Going to be doing the revell chinook as an RAF HC4, struggling to find what shade of green the raf ones actually wear, wethers its BS298 Olive Drab, 285 Nato Green  or regular 241 Dark Green. Help a chap out, also random aside if any armour fans are reading I would like to know what shade of green xtracrylic XA1816 looks like 

Stu just for discussion - in my personal subjective opinion, BS381C-285 NATO Green shouldn't exist because it's in all practical senses the same colour as -241 which already existed. The wisdom of -298 existing is also dubious but it is a slightly more saturated and fractionally darker shade of olive.

There's much more difference between the real-life batch variances of either -241 or -285 than there are between each others' nominal published colour coordinates, or, in otherwords, if 10 companies made ten batches of each colour each and all 20 batches were mixed up, you'd never be able to get the majority of them grouped into what they were intended to be. Add in the real-life differences in applied shade which is influenced not only by batch but by film thickness and substrate colour beneath - and that's entirely ignoring any effects of UV, chalking or other weathering mechanisms and the whole thing is a bit of a waste of time. If anyone tells you it's one or the other of the following, they better be referring to official specs and not visual matches because practically they are going to be impossible to separate, due to the variances above being dominant over any perceptible difference in the intended standard colour.

6675518b-ecc3-4926-a457-f61e0621c7b7.png

• Like 2

Thats interesting @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies, in photos Nato Green on harriers has always looked different to regular dark green of the camouflaged raf aircraft to me, I will now treat them the same when painting in future, not least as I've used xtracrylix olive drab previously which I found changes between batches on the green-brown spectrum.

In my experience in the 70s, the term NATO Green was applied to a colour significantly lighter and greener than RAF Dark Green.  I suspect that this was before the term appeared in British Standards, and before it was seen on British aircraft.

• Like 1

241 Dark green over black is correct for all but the first batch of HC2s.  

Regards

Tim

• Like 1

19 hours ago, torqueofthedevil said:

...which were HC1s when they arrived, weren't they? 

The HC1s were Dk Grey/Dk Green with Black underneaths. I think that the others were talking about Dk Green allover painted over a Black primer.

• Like 1

Sorry, should have been clearer.  Jabba's correct, although the black was an undercoat over the usual yellow-green primer if I recall correctly.  The undercoat colour does make a massive difference to how the green top-coat appears in real life.  The overall green colour on Chinook and Merlin (and Puma HC2) is the same, but when different undercoats have been used as on the first batch of Merlin HC3s, the primer lightens the green, especially in bright sunlight.  The black undercoat is, as I understand, part of the IR signature reduction provided by the paint.

Regards

Tim

• Like 2

On 7/11/2020 at 6:25 PM, Jabba said:

The HC1s were Dk Grey/Dk Green with Black underneaths. I think that the others were talking about Dk Green allover painted over a Black primer.

Sure. What I would like to check was whether the reference to the first batch of HC2s was to new aircraft, or simply to the first tranche of HC1s to be upgraded and repainted