Titanic Funnel lines

FrankJ

Anyone have tips on securing guy wires or (thread that came in the box) to titanic 1/700 funnels.
I have drilled the holes on the deck as per instructions and can see by tying a knot after passing thread through the deck it will stop it from pulling through.

Maybe it is me being thick but putting the thread through the drilled hole (not yet drilled) in the funnels its going to be a tad tricky tying a knot inside the funnel to keep the thread taut between funnel and deck.

How do you guys get around this?

afair when I did mine I rigged like a biplane.

Nylon monofilament, aka fishing line or nylon thread, glued first into the deck hole and secured with a drop of super glue. Other end of line put up into the funnel and out the top, pulled tight and secured with superglue, the end of the line trimmed off with a bit of razor blade

My kit was the Airfix issue of the Academy kit

• Like 1

Lycra rigging line is fairly easy to work with for this sort of thing:

resized_040c5c56-ad8d-4769-984f-94e09216

A little dot of medium CA glue on the funnel is applied with a needle (I like Acupuncture needles for precision glue application) and the lycra rigging line touched to the glue dot with tweezers. Give this 30 seconds to dry:

resized_8785a5ed-88ab-4545-82ba-5fe772df

Then apply a second dot of glue at the destination, and use needle nose tweezers to apply a gentle tension and land the line into the glue. Hold your tweezer hand still for 30 seconds until the glue is dry:

resized_b912ed25-b6e1-4116-94ef-828e7587

Trim off the tail (which I keep attached to the spool if at all possible) with a fresh scalpel blade and a gentle sawing action.

Just work your way round the ship.

resized_89f3db6c-ea07-4a2f-9749-fefcf7a4

A key advantage of this stuff is that it's highly forgiving of knocks and handling. Stuff with no elasticity is exceptionally fragile damage is pretty much certain unless you immediately seal the model into a glass case - assuming you don't keep breaking bits whilst actually doing the rigging!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sounds straightfoward enough, thanks folks.

I have a selection on fishing lines in my fishing bag, I don't suppose black paint would adhere to fishing line.

Jamie, I've just ordered the black rigging line from your site

• Thanks 1