1/48 Spitfire MkI 54 Sqn Hornchurch - Colin Gray ***FINISHED***

The black looks good Steve, in regards to your questions I can't help. Apart from the aircraft I'm building has no IFF fitted either.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

The black looks good Steve, in regards to your questions I can't help. Apart from the aircraft I'm building has no IFF fitted either.

Thanks Ozzy - I was pretty certain that IFF wires shouldn’t be carried at the stage I’m modelling and I’ve found the link (where I’d originally read this) that confirms it

http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/spitfire-masts-and-aerials.html/2

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Steve 1602 said:

Thanks Ozzy - I was pretty certain that IFF wires shouldn’t be carried at the stage I’m modelling and I’ve found the link (where I’d originally read this) that confirms it

http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/spitfire-masts-and-aerials.html/2

Not to hijack your thread, the chap who did the Spitfire paint masks at some point lived down the road from Geoffrey Wellum. He manadged to ask him about his aircraft, his aircraft was number 211 of the initial 212 ordered. 

I'd go with no IFF having read the link and you can use the later radio mast by the sounds of it.

• Like 1

Looking great in black Steve. Apart from the small seam any issues with the fit?

Agree with the Sky underside and no roundels. Fuselage to mast to tail should be correct as well for this period, I'm checking on that detail myself at the mo. If I find anything I'll let you know.

Can't comment on the mirror, Colin Gray was too good a pilot not to have one, but which is a bleedin good question! 

Keep up the great work.

Geoff 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bugle07 said:

Looking great in black Steve. Apart from the small seam any issues with the fit?

Agree with the Sky underside and no roundels. Fuselage to mast to tail should be correct as well for this period, I'm checking on that detail myself at the mo. If I find anything I'll let you know.

Can't comment on the mirror, Colin Grey was too good a pilot not to have one, but which is a bleedin good question! 

Keep up the great work.

Geoff 

Thanks Geoff. With regards to fit, no issues at all. I had a slight warp in the port fuselage half but that was no problem. I elected to join the halves tail to nose - I think I’d go nose to tail next time as I think I could have got rid of the nose joint completely that way. I also only cemented the cockpit tub to the starboard side until I had the wings on in order to give me some wiggle room if needed.

Steve

• Like 2

Nice work so far and really like the subject choice. Looking forward to the progress.

Always had an affinity with 54 Squadron. My grandparents lived at Hornchurch, and living in Southend myself, "Rochford" was my local airfield where I spent many hours including the ATC unit based there. Also read and re-read "Nine Lives" for the first time at the age of 12, so their exploits were cemented in my brain from an early age. Deere and Gray (along with F/O Czernin of 17 Squadron) also brought down "our" local Bf-110 on the 3rd September 1940, one of the very few Luftwaffe aircraft that fell in the Southend area and this get's a mention in Deere's book. My best mate's dad lived in the house that can be seen in the photo of the downed 110, and well remembers it's crash landing and being allowed a closer look the following day. I think Deere got quite irked as a local AA site was credited with the kill to help "boost their moral". It's nice to see Gray's Spit being built, and one that is on my to do list, along with Deere's Spit and "that" 110. Following with lots of interest!

50166098587_00c7ac4826.jpg

50165305928_0be4fddc1e.jpg

Steve

• Like 2

I sprayed sky last night and have taken some photos this morning. It’s interesting to see how different the paint looks in different lighting conditions. 

in bright sunlight

28CC9925-9AB1-47B2-A1ED-79B01B1EE1DA

Indirect sunlight 

7A69A28C-EE4F-42A5-89C3-83B686A46C08

And indoors

3D03C113-D8E3-4FDE-BC7E-A64514953B1F

I like the black basing and although the variation in depth of colour isn’t massively visible in the photos, it’s quite nice in the flesh. 

Steve

• Like 10

37 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

That looks the business Steve, I’m going to give mine a coat of sky this afternoon.

Looks like we’ll be aiming to finish these at around the same time Ozzy - am enjoying watching your vignette come together 👍🏻 

10 minutes ago, SimonT said:

That does look good, which brand did you use?

Thanks Simon - it’s Vallejo model air (71.302 Sky Type S)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fightersweep said:

Nice work so far and really like the subject choice. Looking forward to the progress.

50166098587_00c7ac4826.jpg

50165305928_0be4fddc1e.jpg

Steve

Thanks Steve!

What great photos and it’s really interesting to read some of the background you’ve provided. I know what you mean about 54 Sqn interest, I also read about Al Deere when I was a kid (plus there was THAT huge Airfix Spitfire to put on the Christmas list!). I was far less familiar than I should have been with Colin Gray and have certainly enjoyed reading up on him in the course of this build.

Steve

1 hour ago, Steve 1602 said:

I like the black basing and although the variation in depth of colour isn’t massively visible in the photos, it’s quite nice in the flesh. 

Steve,

Yes, this is the case. Not the same "WOW" factor like Spanish School but I like the realism achieved. This will stand out in your final photos. I usually find that the subtle variation pops out more after the clear coat goes on. I think keep at it. You'll enjoy the variety you'll be able to build into the undercoat and the how you go about applying the colour coats. 

Ray

• Like 1

54 Sqn Diary

31 Jul 1940 - Catterick. The Squadron became non-operational after two days operational work. The last days of the month were spent in training flying. It was with great satisfaction and enthusiasm, that the squadron learned of the award to P.O. George Gribble of the D.F.C. One of the few pre-war members of the squadron, he is the fifth to be decorated.

2-7th August - Catterick. For the first 8 days of the month the squadron continued its non-operational training flying at Catterick. 153 hours were flown by day and 6 by night. During the absence of the squadron, it was learned with deep regret of the death of S/L Sawyer, commanding 65 Squadron, who was killed whilst on a night patrol. The Squadron heard with great pleasure of the appointment of F/Lt. (now S/Leader) A.G. Malan to command 74 Squadron. We wish them every success under their new and inspired leader.

The exploits of P/O D.G. Gribble D.F.C. ("George") were recounted in the Daily Press. The saving of an important convoy by his resolute action was noted therein with satisfaction. (P.O. Gribble assumed command of "B" Flight as from 26/7/40.)

A delayed update owing to a fairly crazy week at work - but progress has been made.

I assembled most of the remaining bits and pieces - the propeller is really nice; a brilliant fit and as good as anything I've seen in resin.  I also painted up the wheels and hubs. I like the way Tamiya have designed this and there should be no issues with getting the aircraft sitting properly on its undercarriage. 

8AC2E528-DA93-457C-8DFD-6CD14C7D0A77

I also masked up the underside and laid down some dark earth today. I'll let that harden and then try and get the camouflage pattern masked and the dark green on during the week (assuming work is less manic).

55701974-CE4F-4677-9617-8DBE0CAC610A

The aircraft serial is R6893, so as an 'odd' serial I think should carry the 'B' pattern scheme rather than the illustration which shows an 'A' pattern

1C6EC421-67BF-4B85-A632-C29C33D54572

I gather that there was no hard and fast odds/ evens split and exceptions abound, but I think I'll go with the 'B' scheme (unless anyone has better info!); if nothing else it will make a nice contrast to all of my other Spits which are all 'A' pattern.

Steve

• Like 9

This claims to be your Spitfire:

https://pin.it/6X5aeUb

If you don’t have a Pinterest account let me know and I’ll post the photo up (credited).

I would now but the forum software doesn’t seem to like my share point embedded link on my phone.

If the aircraft pictured is correct, it looks a bit like an A to me, but not quite, really can’t make it out properly.

4 hours ago, Steve 1602 said:

The aircraft serial is R6893, so as an 'odd' serial I think should carry the 'B' pattern scheme rather than the illustration which shows an 'A' pattern

you need to find Spitfires from a similar serial.

the A/B odd/even pattern could, and , did go out of sequence as the there are gaps in the serial blocks numbering for security.  This means it could then also flip back. 

@lasermonkey  had collated a fair amount of pics, and may know offhand.

24 minutes ago, SimonT said:

This claims to be your Spitfire:

https://pin.it/6X5aeUb

I doubt it.

caption is wrong

"Spitfire Mk I KL-T is flown by F/O Colin F Gray from RAF Hornchurch in 1940. Taken on charge by No 54 Squadron RAF at RAF Rochford on 9 July, the aircraft was used by the 25-year-old New Zealand"

If it was taken on charge on 9 July, it would have a yellow ring, fins stripes and a serial.

the is pre May 1940,  as it lacks the yellow ring and fin flash.  It also has a Rotol prop, which were seen on a few 54 Sq planes at this time.

mLG8tSyKheAIaNNYUqdrsnytf84C3eu3kyo8Behx

Rotol prop clearer here

klo.jpg

note underside is also still black/white split scheme.

According to Hooton's article in the November 1982 edition of SAM, "R6879- there can be little doubt that R6879 had an A scheme, but it is difficult to state exactly when the A even/ B odd rule returned: possibly at R6880 but certainly by R6904."

Sadly, I have very few pics of No. 54's Spitfires and none of R6893 but from the above, it's anyone's guess! Victory Productions went with the A scheme on their depiction of R6893. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @SimonT - unfortunately  that’s an earlier Spit as Troy has already identified. From 54 Squadron records of Dec ‘39 deliveries that one should be either N3097 or in the N31** range.

@Troy Smith @lasermonkey what a great idea to look for other batch serials!

R6891 led me to DW-Q of 610 Sqn flown by Sgt Ronnie Hamlyn - and shown in the “B” pattern. That seems good enough for plastic!

Edit: the photo of R6891 on the Fundekals instructions for DW-Q also show a ‘box’ type mirror fitted so That answers (or at least provides a strong indication) another question about R6893

https://www.fundekals.com/images/Spitfires/SpitfireProject2016.pdf

Steve

• Like 4

You ever get one of those moments when you know something looks wrong, but it’s not until it’s staring you in the face....?

I had a “why has the Spit got a hole in the cowling?” Inner monologue going on....

A check of the instructions and Tamiya have thoughtfully provided a pillar aiming post for the early version Spitfire; however if you are like me and don’t read ahead, you’ll miss this in the instructions until you casually wonder “what’s that tiny piece that looks like a pillar aiming post left on the sprue that I’m about to bin?”

This will almost certainly coincide with the realisation that you have:

(a) addressed all seams

(b) primed and painted the airframe dark earth

(c) noticed that it won’t be covered by the dark green that you were about to spray in your lunchtime.

Fix completed, but grrrrrrr..... 

0B1650D8-4FAC-4A8D-A871-E498AFB4E90F

And for those who have yet to read the instructions, here it is as part of the final assembly Stage - note for version B only, otherwise leave an ‘ole (but don’t. The shape of it's wrong, it's much much too long and you can't put a hole where a hole don't belong*).

*with apologies to Bernard Cribbins

A4E9DE96-4223-4CCE-94F8-C68193F5B5DE

• Like 6

It took me a while before I realised what part 8 was for, I saw it on the sprues and was almost going to throw it away when I read the instructions one last time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

It took me a while before I realised what part 8 was for, I saw it on the sprues and was almost going to throw it away when I read the instructions one last time.

I’m so glad it wasn’t just me! 😄

• Haha 1

Doing my part to kick start the economy by using up Hampshire’s supply of masking tape.... 😉

I used templates cut from the plans with the original Tamiya Mk 1 Spitfire which has the “B” pattern.  I always find this a bit tedious, but on the positive side I should be able to get some dark green on tomorrow. 

DE91C48F-67B8-4AC1-BACB-698EFC0AFE0E

• Like 7

11 hours ago, SimonT said:

I use the templates from http://www.yolo.net/~jeaton/mymodels/spitfire/templates/SpitTemp.html

Might save you a step next time?

Either way, looking forward to the unmasking 🙂

Thanks Simon - I did try using those templates on a previous build but I couldn’t get them to print correctly on my printer. I suspect there was an operator-interface error....  I may try again when I’m demonstrating less IT-biffness!

Green on and masking off tonight - Looks ok under electric light. I’ll take a proper look in daylight and also try to add some better pics. 

The ‘B’ pattern Looks weird! I had to check it against the plans a couple of times - it’s not what my brain expects to see!

B87747C7-C267-4648-8C75-CA726439C1A3

• Like 5