Nieuport 28 C-1

My next build is Revell's 1:72 Nieuport 28 C-1. This is a vintage kit I picked up at Abingdon airshow a couple of years ago. This kit was the choice of my son who has recently been paying War Thunder on his xbox, flying various biplanes. Its been a while since I have built a biplane, and I had forgotten how small and minimal they are. 

IMG_20200705_164852

The box is a little battered, and has pictures of the various schemes available to build. 

IMG_20200705_164925

There are minimal instructions, a small decal sheet that shows its age, and 2 small brown sprues. 

IMG_20200705_164928

These have varying amounts of flash on them, as you may expect from an older kit. I plan to build it straight from the box, using Vallejo acrylics in place of the suggested Revell. 

IMG_20200705_164938

I am going to finish the build in the colour scheme of the 213th Aero Squadron training aircraft. There are not any decals for the red stripes doen the fuselage (thankfully), so I aim to mask and airbrush them on. The kit has has a wash, and I have given some parts a blast of primer, ready to get started! 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I do like a biplane

Some of these old Revell bipes build up quite nicely

Will you rig?

I agree, I built an old kit a couple of years ago, and once painted the transformation was great. I rigged the last one I built (my first biplane) so I plan to have another try here. 

Thanks, 

Michelle 

• Like 1

I’ve built their Spad XII but I replaced the wings with scratch built ones because the rib detail was terrible. It did make a nice model though.

50089726633_38003b8554_c.jpg

This was my first biplane in around thirty years and only my third or fourth build of my return to modelling.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

With the kit washed and primed I set to work on the build. Firstly, airbrushing the cockpit interior a medium brown. Then once this was dry, I added a little detail. The frame Is wooden, so I chose a lighter brown for the slats. I know it wont be visible, but I know it's there. 

IMG_20200707_091223

Then I painted the pilots seat (using a photograph I found online for reference). Again I painted a little detail on, adding a harness and cushion. 

IMG_20200707_091210

Only the top of the seat will be visible when it is inside the fuselage. Next I constructed the radial engine and airbrushed it a medium grey. It is absolutely tiny, however I again used Google as my friend and found several references so I could add some details to the engine. 

IMG_20200707_091232

Finally, I have joined the fuselage halves together. For an old kit this went remarkably well, and with minimal sanding it is ready for primer. Coming along nicely. 

• Like 4

With the primer dry I began to add some colour. Firstly painting the fuselage white, then airbrushing the underside of both wings tan. After 2 coats I was satisfied with the coverage, and sealed in the tan and white with Quick Shine gloss varnish. Then the fun began, masking the white fuselage to airbrush the red stripes. This took a great deal of concentration as they are very thin. However, with patience and a cotton bud to smooth them down it went well. I then airbrushed several coats of red (waiting for them to dry in between). 

IMG_20200714_172806

Once the red was completely dry I carefully unmasked the white stripes, crossing my fingers the red hadn't bled. 

IMG_20200714_202500

Amd I was in luck, it hadn't! Finally I airbrushed the tops of the wings Vallejo dark blue, its starting to look pretty cool! 

• Like 9

That is coming along nicely, I once built the Sopwith Triplane kit, they are little jewels, aren't they? If I may, I'd like to pass on a tip for painting those stripes (or anything that needs masking off, for that matter). After the first color has been applied and the masking job has been finished spray the subject again using the first color, in your case after you sprayed the white and masked it off for the red stripes paint it with another coat of white first. Then, after the paint has cured you can spray the red. The coat of white that you applied over the masking will seal the edges of the tape, anything that might seep under the tape will have been the white paint, which will match the initial color you applied. I hope that makes sense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice start! It's not the best of kits but can build up into a nice model. The main area needing attention is the cowling which is far too square at the front edge. Sanding it to a more curved finish will greatly improve the final look.

Ian

• Thanks 1

With the stripes protected with a coat of Quick shine gloss, I masked the fuselage up and began airbrushing the blue section. As the blue is not the usual Vallejo model air that I use (which is already thinned ready to spray), this paint needs a lot of thinning! However, it sprayed nice and even and once unmasked looked great. 

IMG_20200718_125708

At the moment the fuselage is resting on the wheel struts and wing ready for full assembly. 

• Like 11

Yesterday I began assembly. Attaching the radial engine and cowling. These fitted together well. I then secured the seat to the bottom wing, and fitted these to the fuselage leaving them to dry. 

IMG_20200719_203620

I then began to think about the rigging. I planned to secure some ends of the rigging, in the holes made for the locating pins on the wing. The the other ends would sit on top of the struts, before I fitted the top wing, thus securing them out of sight. Easier said than done with the ultra fine Infini Model black rigging. However, with patience it is rigged! 

IMG_20200719_210101 IMG_20200719_230157

Next I will attach the top wing and we are nearly there. 

IMG_20200719_211157

Here are my 2 current builds side by side, David and Goliath or Little and Large spring to mind! 

• Like 8

Very nice work, Shellie! The Nieuport 28C is to me the most handsome of the WW1 fighters; I love your choice of markings. We are 'way overdue for a state of the art example in 1/72 scale. Been holding off on doing one, as I am waiting, waiting, waiting for the aftermarket outfit that has announced a corrected fuselage and cowling for eons to finally release them! I do have an old Roseparts (Remember them?) resin cowling I have been hoarding in the event nothing happens. Going to be ONE colorful Nieuport!

Mike

• Like 1

Hi Michelle,

I love colorful planes! Yellow wing US Navy's aircraft are my favorite, but your model takes the biscuit!

Well built and expertly painted. You tick all the boxes!

Super job.

JR

• Thanks 1

With all the rigging in place, time came to attach the top wing. Disaster struck!!! The angle of the centre struts were completely wrong and from dry fits it was obviously never going to sit properly. This is where I should have carefully considered my options, however I opted for the heavy handed approach and applied maximum pressure, breaking the outer strut. This broke my heart, I have grown to love this little aircraft. I had worked really hard with the paintwork and was actually really proud of it, and there in one second I had broken it. However, after a while I realised all was not lost. Now I could make the wing fit! So, with a lot of fettling I finally managed to get it to sit correctly. Once this was dry, the only thing left to do was add a coat of Vallejo satin varnish, and finally the build was complete. I present the finished build.....

IMG_20200723_095542 IMG_20200723_095618 IMG_20200723_095634 IMG_20200723_095643 IMG_20200723_095651 IMG_20200723_095659 IMG_20200723_095725

I am super pleased with this build, it may have been an old and battered looking kit, and it presented some challenges along the way but it is a beautiful aircraft. Thanks for all your comments and for joining me. 

• Like 4

Very very nice and a great save!

Would not have known you had a problem if you hadn't said so what's next?

Roger

• Thanks 1