1/72nd Italeri Short Sunderland Mk.I,.....Silver Bullet!!****FINISHED***

Hiya Folks,.... another update,.......

Well I`ve painted the props and beaching trolley and test fitted them along with the floats,...... BUT,...... the filler along one of the wing roots cracked,.....bummer! So I`ve taped it off and applied more filler,.....lets see how it goes eh? I have also cut out a B Type roundel and the grey codes FV-X,.....I just cannot decide whether to apply them on one side or not? 

DSCF8259-NEW.jpg

DSCF8257-NEW.jpg

DSCF8258-NEW.jpg

DSCF8255-NEW.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 19

32 minutes ago, mick b said:

Looking great Tony, I too would be tempted to put the codes and roundel on the starboard side? 👍

Mike

Cheers Mike,...... I`m torn what to do mate to be fair re the B Type and codes,...... um ah!! 

Hiya Folks,..... well the repair job turned into a bigger job than I imagined nd it spread to the upper fuselage where I wasn`t happy with the joint lines whih seemed to have opened up too,....... so I sanded the lot!

Once sanded they were masked off;

DSCF8284-NEW.jpg

And the first coat of silver applied;

DSCF8285-NEW.jpg

If I don`t get away with this I can always camouflage the blinking thing LOL!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 9

Crikey, where have I been? The last I seen you had just finished the white one and here we have another nearly finished! Another great scheme. Brave move with all that filling but definitely worth it, looks great mate :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Beard said:

Blimey, this one's fighting you all the way but I have every faith in your ability to get it done.

You could say that,.......but I did go and say that it was supposed to be a quick build,.....talk about putting the mockers on it eh mate!!! Thanks for your faith,....more than I have got,..... but thankfully it worked out OK!

5 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Fingers crossed fella

All the best

Chris

Cheers Chris,.....thankkfully I went OK I think,.....I`ll let you be the judge when I post a pic tomorrow! 

1 hour ago, Shorty84 said:

I'm sure the repair will go well, would be a shame to camouflage it.

Cheers

Markus

Cheers Shorty,....... yeah my thoughts exactly,..... thankfully I think I got away with it? 

1 hour ago, mick b said:

Blimey Tony this one is fighting you to the end?! What adhesive did you use, glues nowadays don’t seem to have the same qualities of old?

Mike

You can say that again Mike,....... my own fault for calling it a `quick build' I suppose! I use Revell Contacta but I`ve been having a few problems with seams lately,..... especially on the bigger models, might start to use tube glue on the main joints in future?

1 hour ago, woody37 said:

Crikey, where have I been? The last I seen you had just finished the white one and here we have another nearly finished! Another great scheme. Brave move with all that filling but definitely worth it, looks great mate :)

LOL,.... keeping you on your toes bud! Thanks,.. glad you like it and hopefully I my have got away with the repair,..... we`ll see in daylight. I also made a change to the markings,.... I`ll post a pic tomorrow.

Cheers everybody,

Tony

• Like 2

Hiya Folks,....... repair complete,....... re painted and a first coat of matt acrylic varnish has been brushed on. I`ve altered the markings on the right side of the fuselage too;

DSCF8286-NEW.jpg

DSCF8287-NEW.jpg

DSCF8288-NEW.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 15

Looks great, and I like the look of the alternative RH side markings too. Which matt varnish is it? I use W+N Galeria but I'm always on the lookout for something better...

My only niggle would be the prominent fuel tank outlines and straps that Italeri present. I've been looking for pictures of Short flying boat top wings for my Empire Boat build as well, and I've yet to see any evidence of a prominent fuel tank, let alone a strap. The closest I've got to a fuel tank outline comes from one of the pictures on the Australian Virtual War Memorial site, namely this one, where I could talk myself into believing I can see a rounded panel line between engines 3 and 4.  Topside views of Sunderlands are pretty hard to find (for me at least).

[edit - of course, just after I post I find this one, which does show the outlines of the fuel tank, but hardly to any greater degree than any other regular panel line, and I still can't see a diagonal strap...]

Regards,

Adrian

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great recovery Tony, looks absolutely lovely, great work fella

All the best

Chris

Thanks Chris. 

1 hour ago, Silver Fox said:

Looking good mate

Cheers Andy.

55 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Looks great, and I like the look of the alternative RH side markings too. Which matt varnish is it? I use W+N Galeria but I'm always on the lookout for something better...

My only niggle would be the prominent fuel tank outlines and straps that Italeri present. I've been looking for pictures of Short flying boat top wings for my Empire Boat build as well, and I've yet to see any evidence of a prominent fuel tank, let alone a strap. The closest I've got to a fuel tank outline comes from one of the pictures on the Australian Virtual War Memorial site, namely this one, where I could talk myself into believing I can see a rounded panel line between engines 3 and 4.  Topside views of Sunderlands are pretty hard to find (for me at least).

[edit - of course, just after I post I find this one, which does show the outlines of the fuel tank, but hardly to any greater degree than any other regular panel line, and I still can't see a diagonal strap...]

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian and I know what you mean about the tanks and straps,... far too deep and prominent,..... but I didn`t fancy re scribing them in more lightly and I`m not going to go back and fill them in again LOL! I`ll be covering them to some extent with exhaust staining so not to worry. 

Varnish wise,.... I`m still using Polly Scale acrylic Matt,..... but it is almost on the turn and is best not mixing it too much incase it leaves white streaks,..... so the result is quite an egg shell finish,.... just right for this silver painted aircraft. I`m on the search for a  replacement varnish myself. 

All the best mate,

Tony 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shorty84 said:

Good save Tony, as if nothing had happened.

Cheers

Markus

Cheers Shorty,..... I`ve had to do a few more similar repairs tonight after I slipped with a knife while masking off the scum line for the fuselage!! This thing is really fighting me!  

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Regards,

Adrian

Interestingly, the Mk I/II Sunderland Manual I have, actually has a diagram

of what Italeri portrays on their Sunderland (how to remove/install, when removing/re-installing

wing tanks).

I too, have not been able find any Sunderland's (early marks) with the tank cross bar,

in any of my Sunderland books.

It's very possible it was designed as such, but in practice too cumbersome to maintain,

so was dropped from production.

Later Fuel tank diagrams of (Mk III/V) Sunderland's I have, show nothing of the cross bar.

This photo of a Shorts Boat Wing tank shows the tank is quite tight fitting and No cross bar

Solent+Wing+Tank+Copy.png

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

Right,.... this one has fought me more than I thought it would,....... and I am now calling it done!

DSCF8316-NEW.jpg

DSCF8314-NEW.jpgDSCF8311-NEW.jpg

DSCF8328-NEW.jpg

DSCF8324-NEW.jpgDSCF8319-NEW.jpg

I`ll post some more pics in WIP,...... thanks for the encouragement along the way chaps,

Cheers

Tony

EDIT,...... I swear this model is jinxed,...... last night, 24th Nov, 2020 it took a nose dive off the shelf, hit the furniture on the way down, snapping the troublesome left wing off,..... opening up the seam of the upper fuselage and shedding props, floats and beaching gear! Having collected together what I could,..... I`m still short a set of float struts, one propeller and a few beaching gear wheels!  

I may repair it and give it a camouflaged finish,..... I`m not sure yet!

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 14

Awesome work, Tony!  You did a beautiful job on this beauty.  Sorry it fought you tooth and nail to get to this point.  Does this mean you'll have time to devote to the Valetta?  Just kidding.  Great stuff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jur said:

Beautiful! What a great job you've done on that.

Thanks Jur,..... glad you like it mate and thanks for your kind comment.

2 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Wow! Another beaut, Tony!

Chris

Cheers Chris,.....  thanks very much for your supprt as ever mate.

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great work Tony you have fought well.  You have done a cracking job and turned out another beauty.

All the best

Chris

Thanks Chris and cheers again for bucking me up,...... yeah it has put up more of a struggle than I expected that`s for sure,....... but now where to put it LOL!!

1 hour ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Awesome work, Tony!  You did a beautiful job on this beauty.  Sorry it fought you tooth and nail to get to this point.  Does this mean you'll have time to devote to the Valetta?  Just kidding.  Great stuff.

Thanks mate and yeah it was a bit of a bind at times,..... but hey! Thanks for the support and yeah,..... back on with the Valetta tomorrow,..... finish the black stripes and then sort out the decals.

All the best everybody and cheers again,

Tony 

• Like 2