Hasegawa 1/24 BMW 2002 Turbo

I've finished up another Hasegawa kit and I really think they do a fantastic job of capturing the proportions and detail of their subjects. This kit has some shortcomings in terms of interior detail but overall it builds well. I wanted to do something more along the lines of a restomod instead of a factory 2002 Turbo and if this was a full-size car, I would probably build it around a later 2002 with a bodykit as opposed to hacking up an actual Turbo car. Colorwise, I wanted a bit more of the early 2002 vibe so I went with a light grey - kind of like the Bristol Grey but without worrying about it being an exact match. 

2002_Outside-6_1920x1080

The biggest changes to the kit were the rebarrelling of the stock wheels to 16". The centres are the 13" wheels that come with the kit while the barrels were cut out from the 16" wheels in the Tamiya Porsche 911 Turbo kit. Tires are 14" Aoshima tires stretched over the larger wheels. Ride height and track was also adjusted to set the overall stance. I had to remove some of the fender behind the flare to achieve this.

2002_Outside-19_1920x1080

I cut down the turbo stripes from the kit into this flag on the door - not sure about it yet so it's only on one side.

2002_Outside-4_1920x1080

I added an aluminum tailpipe, but it's a bit too big - it was the only size I had on hand, but I'll probably replace it down the road. I love the metal transfer decals that Hasegawa puts in some of their kits - the effect is so much more realistic than decals. Just noticed I forgot the A-pillar antenna on the driver's side - oops.

2002_Outside-5_1920x1080

One of my only real complaints about the kit are to do with the chrome trim around the beltline. It's very fine and the mounting tabs on the sprue leave marks that are difficult to hide. The trim looks good from this completely horizontal angle but from above it starts to look a bit ragged. If I was to do another (a stock, round light tii would be cool) I would probably strip the chrome, sand it all smooth and add it to the body before paint and then Bare Metal Foil it after polishing.

2002_Outside-25_1920x1080

You can see a bit of the chrome trim issues here:

2002_Outside-15_1920x1080

There was a fine hair in the chrome on one piece and the trunk piece on this side arrived cracked but still barely hanging together. Tailpipe is definitely too big!

My only other complaint is that the interior door cards have zero detail on them - no handles, arm rest, window crank, nothing. I know Ukranian Scale Cars Production does a door panel, seat and engine kit for this model which would really take it to the next level. The rest of the interior paints up nicely though and the overall impact is pretty good.

2002_Interior

A couple more shots:

2002_Outside-1_1920x1080

2002_Outside-23_1920x1080

Thanks for looking!

Martin.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Can I ask what clear coat you used on this one?

Thanks for the comments Keith! I was trying to do this entirely without clearcoat as I didn't really have any decals to go over but in the end I ended up doing a couple of coats of Mr Color GX100 as the paint wasn't quite shiny enough. Wet sanded and polished to the final finish. I'm actually going out today to pick up some paint and I'm going to try the Tamiya lacquer clear as I can't find a reasonably priced bottle of GX100 anywhere and I'm on my last bottle. 

M.

• Thanks 1

Just now, gt6mkiii said:

I'm going to try the Tamiya lacquer clear

It might well have (probably was) my fault, but I had problems with that when I tried it. I've quite often used Mr Hobby clear over water based acrylics with no problem whatsoever, but when I started polishing out the Tamiya clear that I'd sprayed over such an acrylic it crazed really badly - it had had over a week to cure too. I know it's accepted wisdom that laquers shouldn't be used over water based acrylics, but as I say Mr Color never gave me a problem. Just a heads up if you do happen to ever use water based acrylics. :)

That's a very nice shine you've got from the GX!

Keith

• Like 1

Superb model of one of my favourite Beemers, the photography is equally as good, the first two shots could be the real thing. I think it's the reflections on the glass that are particularly convincing.

Great work.

Dave

• Thanks 1

Martin, you're building up a collection of absolute stunners. This one's fantastic, love the colour and the wheels!

• Thanks 1

Martin I owned a brand new '69, 2002 in the day - loved it with lowered springs and Addco sway bars.

As always your builds are great but even more exciting for me are your artwork backdrops. You've got this down to science - but it's art.

Please describe how this was done. And on all your future models too. There's just too much skill on display to not describe.

As a backdrop maniac, you can see the evidence of my 5 1/2' old-time garage hanging over the bench from the Rolls portraits. :mental:

IMG-8112-2.jpg

• Like 4

OK - OK - all these pictures of a real car are all good and well, bute where are the pictures of your model? :winkgrin:

Joke aside - this is a marvellous model! :goodjob:

My math teacher in 8'th grade had one of those, how envy were us lads! :winkgrin:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

• Haha 1

Lovely Beamer. I like the flag on just the one door, nicely understated. Normally I think oversize tailpipes are silly but somehow that looks good.

I see what you mean about the interior. But maybe the main focus is the exterior?

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Normally I think oversize tailpipes are silly but somehow that looks good.

I have to agree with Pete on this one. It looks totally credible and not even silly. I think mostly because it's on a classy looking car and not a rolling scrap heap as per usual.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the great comments!

15 hours ago, Harry Callahan said:

It is selfmade diorama? 

It's pretty much just a large printout of a photo. One for the background and one for the road. On this one I also wrapped the sidewalk photo around a piece of foamcore to give it some dimension.

6 hours ago, dbostream said:

I bought this kit today after looking at it for ages but never pulling the trigger.

Ha! - I'll contact Hasegawa for a commission!

2 hours ago, Codger said:

Please describe how this was done.

Thanks Codger, I think on my next shoot I can take a few more photos to show the setup and post it over in the general discussion area.

52 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I see what you mean about the interior. But maybe the main focus is the exterior?

Agreed, I think they've done a great job on the exterior, but compared to a lot of models I've built, you can actually see the interior on this when it's all together as the glass area is quite large.

24 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

It looks totally credible and not even silly.

Ok, I'll leave it - it does scale out to somewhere around 3" though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yet another stunning build absolutely fabulous work and I see nothing wrong with any of it. Awesome keep them coming 🙂

• Thanks 1

I've got to echo all the comments above, it's a great build.

I wouldn't worry too much about the issues with the chrome trim as (take it from me) the full size examples are often pretty haphazard in that area! Yours looks fine.

I must crack on with my Turbo kit, it's next up but it might be a while until I get the time.

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...