Kalinin K-7 from Mikro-Mir

My Mikro-Mir Kalinin K-7 has survived the current vagaries of the international postal services and has finally arrived into my eager hands....

Ordered on-line from the Ukraine from :- https://amarket-model.com/      the kit was packed inside a stout carboard box with the contents cocooned in

bubble wrap and although it took a while, it arrived undamaged - excellent service :thumbsup:

The impressive box art shows what the finished model should look like....

spacer.png

The massive wing is made from hollow fibreglass-resin with a superb glass-like surface finish with a restrained fabric effect - it spans a staggering 74 cm (29inches)....

spacer.png

Underside view - with an La-5FN for scale.....

spacer.png

The rest of the kit is injection-moulded plastic with excelent engraved detail - these are the vertical rudders....

spacer.png

The corrugated external finish is particularly well done - being very restrained and true to scale .....

spacer.png

I won't show all the sprues here - you can see them on my website :- http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/model_kalinin_k-7.html

This sprue has the extremely delicate mouldings of the Scarffe rings and machine guns for the numerous gun turrets....

spacer.png

At 26cm (10.5in) - the tailplane is bigger than a Spitfires wing....

spacer.png

The tires have legible raised lettering........

spacer.png

The cockpit glazing is thin and crystal clear....

spacer.png

Self-adhesive masks are inluded - as is an etched brass fret and simple decal sheet.

spacer.png

The instructions are printed on six A4 sheets - folded in half to make a twelve-page 'booklet'.......

spacer.png

spacer.png

The centre page is the simple painting and decal placement guide.....

spacer.png

This is an excellent new kit from Mikro-Mir and must have cost them a small fortune to create - an expense reflected in the retail price.

It is an interesting replica of a bonkers design - and I can't wait to get it started...

Ken

• Like 12

Wow! Like a few Russian aircraft I've seen on this forum this is totally new to me, what an incredible machine! I look forward to following progress on this build.

One modeler (of course not mine!) already has this model assembled.  According to him, a preliminary dry fit of the engine nacelles and the wing is necessary, there may be a mismatch in the seats, the model must be installed load, otherwise it will fall on the tail.  The only place where  can practically set the weight is the engine's nacelle.  He understood this when he made the model, so he had to stick double-sided tape under the front wheels.

B.R.

Serge

Thanks for the Heads-up on the tailsitting issue Serge - I'll bear it in mind when building my K-7.

There may be room in the front of the wheel sponsons - or the front (hollow) angled mounting strut for some weights (?)

Ken

• Like 1

On 7/7/2020 at 8:28 PM, Aardvark said:

One modeler (of course not mine!) already has this model assembled

Is it the guy on this website Serge... ??   http://www.greenmats.club/forums/topic/6917-готово-калинин-к-7-mikromir-172/

If so.... does he say how much weight is needed

ed?? A lot - or just a small amount ??

Can you ask him ???

Ken

He actually mentions this - A LOT!

He says he filled all the available space with lead and it is still barely in ballance. That's why I'm thinking about opening the wing where it joins with engine nacelles 

1 hour ago, Flankerman said:

No, Ken!

This the model has not yet been demonstrated on the Internet.

If so.... does he say how much weight is needed

ed?? A lot - or just a small amount ??

Can you ask him ???

He does not know.  As I wrote, he completely did it, and then realized that it falls on the tail ....

Can you ask him ???

Together we discussed ways to solve this problem!  He decided to help her with double-sided tape under the front wheel.

1 hour ago, Pin said:

That's why I'm thinking about opening the wing where it joins with engine nacelles 

This composite with fiber. I suggested, as an idea, to drill holes in the wing, pour lead or tungsten fine shot through them, putting the wing vertically with the front part down, and then pour the load inside with epoxy.  Close the holes with plastic, which at the same time will hold the load from shifting into the wing.  But this is only a theory.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

I was given permission to publish photos of this model here!

1594311968704-1.jpg

1594311968560.jpg

1594311968371-1.jpg

In principle, it should also be published on karopka.ru

As you's may see, this other model!

But the conclusions about the need for weight are the same!

B.R.

Serge

P.S. "Declassified unknown

photo-evidence 

Kalinin K-7 used as carrier BF-109 for attempt on Stalin, used during the German-Soviet conspiracy of generals (Tukhachevsky case)":

1594310070392-1.jpg

😲😉😁😁😁

In reality this photo just for comparison size!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

What a beast! Your friend did a great job on that model, Serge. I'm sure you'll do a fine job on her also, Ken, large Soviet aircraft are your 'thing'! Now if only someone would come out with a late-model TB-3...

Regards,

Jason

I've made a start.......

Being a limited-run kit, all the parts need 'fettling' to fit... edges need trimming to square them up, some of the parts have flash in awkward places,

delicate parts need careful trimming and are prone to breakage ......etc

All par for the course for this type of kit.

The four seats have sides that are way too thick - and benefit from being thinned down......

(as moulded left, half trimmed middle, fully trimmed right)..

What's the collective consensus on seat belts??? - just lap straps - or full 4 - point over-the-shoulder type straps ?????

The instructions are lacking - and there are are very few colour notes in the instructions.....

spacer.png

After trimming, the mounting struts are attached...

spacer.png

The mounting parts are very delicate and easy to break when removing them from the thick sprue gates - but they are nicely moulded.

The seats are attached to a floor - which then fits into a groove in the cabin side panel.....

spacer.png

But.... the floor is too thick (or the groove too narrow) to fit - so I had to widen the groove and tapered the floor edges until it fitted.

This would have been easier to do BEFORE I attached the seat - so Top Tip - make sure parts fit before assembling them !!!  :wall:

More later...

Ken

• Like 1

On 7/9/2020 at 9:05 PM, Learstang said:

! Your friend did a great job on that model, Serge

B.w., the author of the model whose photos are placed in this topic personally knows the topic starter!

😉

5 hours ago, Flankerman said:

I've made a start.......

Here is what he wrote:

"What's Ken there?  

Stuck in the K-7?

I sympathize.  You can convey my regards to him and:

- the landing gear in the gondolas do not climb somewhere at 4-5mm; 

- machine guns in the original set 12. And turrets 9. Those 8 are stupidly lacking.  I cast them myself from the resin.  Well, maybe the MiniWould  buy- another $80 ;

- The perpendicular corrugation seam on the cab gives inhuman pleasure in its assembly; 

- the struts of the gondolas of the wheel do not reach the wing somewhere by 2-3 mm.  This is not treated, since in the gondolas themselves there are cutouts for these struts.  I putty them, I made struts myself ;

- one of the screws of the reverse rotation - it is on the rear engine!; 

- engines.  In the set of 2 spare - why, it is not clear - they only confuse in the assembly  - nodes of the connection of the ailerons with the wing - under them it is necessary to select the seats;

- ALL must be cleaned and skinned!

And, Yes, the connection of engines with a wing, cockpit with a wing, beams with a wing, beams with a tail require a "kilo" of putty"

What's the collective consensus on seat belts??? - just lap straps - or full 4 - point over-the-shoulder type straps ?????

I'm absolutely not expert, but I think - "just lap straps".

The instructions are lacking - and there are are very few colour notes in the instructions.....

The author of the instruction, all the forces went to the "historical" information, which Tupolev was accused of as the main culprit for the execution of Kalinin, the rest of the instructions for the forces were no longer enough!

😁

Indeed, relations between Kalinin and Tupolev were hostile, indeed K-7 and ANT-20 can be regarded as competitors to each other, indeed the circumstances of the disaster, if we accept the version of Kalinin, can be classified as sabotage.

But why was it a diversion precisely from Tupolev, and not spies from the spy networks of German, or Polish, or English intelligence or the White Guards acting then in the USSR?

In any case, it was not K-7 that caused the reprisals of Kalinin, but K-12 (VS-2) and Kalinin’s behavior.  

Here's what "Nauka @

Technika

(Since @ technic)" magazine 

write about it:

"The test results of the aircraft VS-2 were examined in detail by the Customer and based on a comparison of its tactical and technical data with domestic front-line aircraft:

R-5 with an M-17 engine;

R-Zet with an M-34 motor;

R-10 with an M-25V motor;

SB with two M-100A engines.

It was found that the K-12 aircraft designed by Kalinin:

is worst at maximum speed,

inferior to the worst of these aircraft by 1.1 times, and to the best - by 1.9 times;

is the worst in maximum range, yielding 1.4 times to the worst of these aircraft, and 3 times to the best;

it is the best in landing speed, but at the same time the worst in take-off length, yielding 2.3 times to the worst of these aircraft and 2.6 times to the best;

it is the worst at maximum bomb load, being equal to the worst of these aircraft and 2 times inferior to the best;

It is the worst in the number of machine guns, inferior to the worst of these aircraft by 1.5 times, and to the best - by 2 times, and although it has good sectors of firing up and to the sides, it is not protected from below, like an SB aircraft.

General conclusion: the aircraft VS-2, even if modern engines and retractable landing gear are installed, will not be better than a serial SB aircraft.  In this case, its weight will increase and landing data will deteriorate even more.

The advantages in the review from the cockpit do not pay for these shortcomings.  At the same time, the SB aircraft has large reserves for increasing flight data.

Solution: immediately stop all work on the VS-2 aircraft as unpromising, and devote the released resources to the production of aircraft needed by the Red Army Air Force and having a future.  In the autumn of 1936, due to the outbreak of war in Spain and a sharp aggravation of the international situation, another decision was made to stop all experimental work at plant No. 18 and urgently launch a new long-range bomber Ilyushin DB-3 there.  The chief designer of plant No. 18, Kalinin, was instructed to ensure that his drawings were put into production, but instead he tried, taking advantage of his position as chief designer, to continue work on his rejected machines, including  build a small series of VS-2.  Long-range bombers DB-3, which since 1936 were launched in series at the factory number 18 in Voronezh and demanded for their development a full effort, being complex and expensive. They were the first Soviet aircraft to bomb Berlin in 1941, and the Chief Designer  enterprises K.A.  Kalinin at one time tried to sabotage this decision, hoping to continue his experimental work. The aviation industry leadership tried to find a compromise by transferring Kalinin with eleven employees to factory number 88 in the village.  Podlipki in the suburbs, but he did not comply with the transfer order, requiring the continuation of work on K-12 and K-13.  Because of this, the production plan for DB-3 was disrupted, and the engineering services of plant No. 18, which were subordinate to Kalinin, were disorganized.  To take urgent measures to correct the situation at the Nakormat plant of the defense industry No. 18, state security agencies were involved.  Director of Plant No. 18 was dismissed, and Kalinin was arrested and charged with deliberately switching the plant to experimental work, having the smallest percentage of projects in the industry brought to serial production.  The documentation for him and other planes, for which he was responsible, was in a mess, and instead of work, he was campaigning for his aircraft.  All this was revealed during the trial - both according to the testimony of witnesses and according to the documents.  Based on the evidence gathered and given the severity of the guilt of K.A.  Kalinin was sentenced to capital punishment and shot in Voronezh on October 22, 1938."

And here Tupolev, if Kalinin, in order to satisfy his own ambitions, was actually engaged in sabotage on the eve of the war, I don’t know....

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

Yeah. That is the model!

I was fascinated by this aircraft when first read about it in Soviet magazine "Tekhnika Molodezhi" (Technics to the Youth). 

But 'luckily' this is not my area of interest and not aparment's capacity :)

still would enjoy watch this WIP!

Ken kindly agreed with my proposal of buddy build for what I'm very grateful.  Although it will be hard to follow his pace I will try to keep up :) 

I deliberately will not follow the same steps to keep you entertained, so I started with the wing - is it the largest part of any mass produced kit? 

Made of fiberglass it is not defect free, but far better than seen in older AMonsters, especially the panel lines, thin and crisp. The lines still need to be c;leaned from small "pimples" but it is easily doable with scribing saw.

1594569592_IMG_20200712_141915.jpg

1594569599_IMG_20200712_141920.jpg

1594569609_IMG_20200712_141928.jpg

1594569613_IMG_20200712_141945.jpg

Mandatory size comparison shot. Late 302 is not a small plane, still dwarfed by this behemoth

1594570435_IMG_20200712_150117.jpg

• Like 1

Daring!
Just a thought regarding the high chance of tail-sitting: would it be possible to add magnets in/under the wheels, and another on a base?

Together with lead weights, that should work.

Be warned, I sanded down the trailing edge of stabilizer, should not have done it

1594673572_IMG_20200713_210422.jpg

I have spoken with MikroMir guys, they have confirmed that there are not enough machine guns :(

That rises an interesting question - should I invest in MiniWorld guns? 9 sets, 8.5£ each ... on the other hand, considering the price of the kit ... 

Status update.

All parts require careful trimming, sanding and dry fitting, but this is what is expected from a short run kit. If everything is done right then almost no putty is needed

1595161698_IMG_20200719_121546.jpg

1595161706_IMG_20200719_121550.jpg

Rudder servos must be different, left and right, but the kits provides two identical parts, so it must 

1595161749_IMG_20200718_091023.jpg

Having dealt with a couple of AMonsters before I was mentally prepared for the long, monotonous struggle with fiberglass wing, but kudos to MikroMir - the wing quality is very good. 

1595161713_IMG_20200719_121713.jpg

1595161719_IMG_20200719_121719.jpg

1595161730_IMG_20200719_121749.jpg

Boogies are the concern. I'm not sure that that they would withstand the significant weight of the model, I'm thinking of replacing some plastic parts with scratch built ones made of metal tubes

1595161736_IMG_20200719_115659.jpg

1595161742_IMG_20200719_115708.jpg