Canberra: colour of u/c bay

Doc72

Hi,

can anyone help me with the colour of the  u/c bay or wheel well and covers on the Canberra. The 1/72 S&M kit gives no hints (if I haven't overlooked anything).

I am referring specifically to a mid-1960s B.15 with Dark Green/Dark Sea Grey/Silver paint scheme.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

I was at Marham in the late 70's, did time on both 231 OCU and 100 Sqdn... can't remember which was which, some were gloss white, (all the better to show red hydraulic fluid), and Matt silver....for your timescale I'd guess the silver option...

Hope this helps

Dave

Edited by DaveH
Spelling
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, 71chally said:

@canberra kid  I was wondering in Docs' build thread if they could have been black?  The wells seem quite dark in the picture?

If not, is there any guide to when and how black was used on Canberra wheel bays?

Hi James, I've had a look at the photo on the WIP, I think it is silver, but I've also found the attached photo of her which looks like silver too. I've never come across any document which indicates a time frame for which colour to use, but in the dim recesses of my mind the early 80's  rings a bell for the change to white for all U/C bays. Short appears to have been the fondest of black U/C bays. 

FG2AGf.jpg

John

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That is a lovely picture, really shows the pureness of the Canberra lines.

Regarding the black wheel bays, some good discussion on it here, the interesting bit is that the bays were sometimes painted black but not necessarily the doors, which makes identification quite a bit harder!

As someone mentions in that thread, it must have been the worst colour to paint an area that might have hydraulic leaks etc.