British Tank and Vehicle Markings - A Guide

SquireBev

Canada mobilized six MG Battalions in 1939, assigning one to each Infantry Brigade.  In January 1941, this was changed to just one MG Battalion per Infantry Division.  Since the country followed British structure, it's a safe bet the UK had this type of unit in 1939, if not earlier.

https://www.canadiansoldiers.com/tactical/machinegunbattalion.htm

regards,

Jack

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It's been a bit of a nightmare to collate, but here's my first attempt at a timeline for the North African campaign.

Feedback and corrections welcome as ever.

If anyone can shed any more light on the 4th and 7th Armoured Brigades in 1940-41 I'd be very grateful, as I'm sure the 7th and 8th Hussars couldn't be in two places at once!

Apologies for the enormous image size. You might have to open them in a new tab to view them properly.

Middle East - Armoured Divisions

hd55bE4.png

aOOPlRA.png

Edited by SquireBev
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Squarebev

I've used your information to work out the markings for my Tortoise and I'm sure I'll use it again. This info is fascinating and invaluable. Thank you for all your work and I like the layout. The pop out images are excellent to work off.

Thank you 👍🏻 and enjoy your coffee 😁

Andrew

Quick one today.

New information has recently come to light regarding the AoS markings of both the 4th and the 33rd Armoured Brigades. Specifically, that the 4th use green/blue markings rather than the standard red, and that the generally-accepted numbers used by the 33rd after their reorganisation in August/September 1944 are in fact all wrong.

As such, I’ve updated both the AoS diagrams and the Timeline for Independent Brigades.

https://uktankmarkings.wordpress.com/2021/05/12/updates-12-05-21/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Good news! I've finally got my hands on a copy of the expanded edition of Hodges and Taylor. It contains a LOT of extra information, especially covering North Africa and Italy.

Once I've finished the OOB visual timeline I should be able to make quite a few updates to the Division and Corps AoS diagrams.

Stay tuned!

Afternoon all!

Using the wealth of extra information from the 2nd edition of Hodges & Taylor I've made a start on updating some of the Middle East diagrams. See below:

Armoured Division - September 1941
A couple of minor issues with this one:
No evidence of any infantry in the support group - presumably because both battalions have become Motor Battalions in the armoured brigades instead but the official structure hasn't yet been updated to reflect this?
No mention of which units have a LAD attached.
Both armoured brigades and the support group are listed as having a Recovery Section, Light Recovery Section and Ordnance Field Park Section attached, using the appropriate colours, but I'm not sure whether this was part of the official structure or a field expedient.

uk-middle-east-armoured-division-1941-la

Infantry Division - September 1941
Again no mention of which units have a LAD attached.
No mention of a divisional RAOC workshop either

uk-middle-east-infantry-division-1941-la

Corps - September 1941
A couple of minor issues with this one:
No mention of an overall Corps cash office
Again no mention of which units have a LAD attached.
Confusion over whether Mobile Bath Units came under RAMC or RAOC. Some suggestion that RAMC was responsible for laundry and bath on bases and depots, while RAOC was responsible for the same in the field?

uk-middle-east-corps-1941-01.png

As ever, feedback, comments, corrections all VERY welcome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1