As soon as I saw this, I knew I wanted in, but what to go with? Usually a no brainer as I would go with the victors champion,

a magnificent Hurricane! Fast forward to last Saturday when I realised my mediocre build would be lost amongst a myriad

of other fantastic Hurri builds. so what to do? 💡Then it came to me! Tucked away in the South West, but not really seeing

much action but still deserving an honourable mention - the Gloster Gladiator. 247 squadron doing there best to defend

the vitally important naval base. I think they deserve to be here so rummaging on the shelf to find the tatty boxed Roden

offering, I made a start:

Most of the kit parts that will be used in the build:

KIT-1

The kit has options for wheels or skis, and also the relevant 247 sqn markings.

KIT-2

I've also treated the kit to a couple of extras. Building started with the usual detail painting:

KIT-4

The basic cockpit is just about done, seat belts will be added later:

KIT-5

There's also a pile of painted engine bits awaiting assembly:

KIT-3

And that's where we are at the moment, probably get more done later but right now it's my turn to make dinner as I'm starved!

Laters.....

• Like 15

Excellent choice,enjoyed building one of these a few years ago,watch out if using Rodens decal's though they can be useless even if they look

OK.

Following on from my last entry, I have a couple of queries as regards the c/s for 247 son in the Roden kit. The option is for N5585/B and it shows the lower wing in the same colour as the upper

(D.E/D.G) but shouldn't it be shadow shaded. Also the aircraft is shown with camo under the fuselage, Is this correct and can anyone point me in the direction of a picture of N5585 please? Any help would be much appreciated.

If the aircraft was painted in service after Munich then it may have just had the top pair of colours.  Those painted at the factory will have had the full set.

I've seen Lysanders with wrap-around fuselage colours but not Gladiators.

Time for an update. I waited a coupleof days for everyone to catch up after my early start! Begining with the bad news first,

the engine in the SBS conversion kit I had was pants - cylinders were all different sizes an even when made smaller they did

not fit inside the cowling. I ended up using the kit engine inside the SBS cowling:

KIT-10

The diappointment with that was more than made up for by the lovely little Yahu I/P and the way the cockpit has gone together:

KIT-5

KIT-6

KIT-7

The fuselage was a little bit fiddly to join up as the kit has no locating pins. I got round that by cementing in place tabs of scrap plastic.

making everything much easier. The undercart legs went on and lined up beautifully of their own accord too, leaving me currently at

this stage:

KIT-8

KIT-9

The locating slots for the lower wings needed opening up by quite a bit, but that meant I could get a nicer, tighter fit. The fit of the rudder and

elevators was really very nice, enabling me to position them quite nicely.

More to come.....

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, time for a quick but long overdue update on my two GB's, starting with the Gladiator. Building has been going on at a

slow pace due to moving children around the country, in between I've managed to get the join lines filled and sanded, and to

get a couple of coats of dark green on:

KIT-12

KIT-11

Tomorrow I'll have a punt at getting the dark earth on, and improving the engine. Sorry for the delay with this update, hope it was worth it!

Cheers.....

• Like 3

Just catching up on some of the many threads within this GB. Good call on the Gladiator and you’re build so far is looking great. 
Cheers and best of luck.. Dave