T-6G canopy to Harvard II - anyone tried the conversion?

RidgeRunner

Hi all, 

I'm looking for a little guidance from anyone who has attempted to convert a T-6G canopy to the "longer" Harvard II-type canopy. Apart from the framing - which I think I can fix with thin strips of stryrene - it seems to be that it is only the final section that is different in shape. Is that true? I have tried a CMR canopy, which I at first thought was good, but it is very poor in detail. My other thought is whether an old Airfix Harvard II canopy would be any better? 

I'd be very grateul of thoughts and guidance from anyone who has attempted this or has any great ideas. ;)

Thanks in advance.

Martin

The old Airfix was a Texan canopy anyway.  Note that some Mk.IIs did have the Texan canopy, so be careful which you are modelling.   I have tried the conversion but without success.  How good are you at plunge moulding?   Otherwise the canopy is available from Falcon, in their US aircraft in RAF service set.   Possibly therefore from Squadron?  It is also available in the Azur NA-57 and the RS Yale/NA.6, but the Falcon is nicer than either.

Here you go ...

canopyanddoordetails

T6G canopy

TexanCanopy

Harvard canopy

Harvard Canopy

There would be other differences also, such as the 'spade grip' control stick for the front cockpit

DSCN4330_zps8aef7891

... and the long exhaust stack with the cabin heater pipe running through it.

Not sure what else.

Colin

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Graham  @Graham Boak and Colin @Tail-Dragon. I’ve never moulded anything so I’m looking for an off the shelf solution as much as possible. It looks like the Yale, NA-57 or the Falcon kit could be my solution. I will search around a bit. 

Martin

On second thoughts, I'd have to check to confirm that the NA.57 kit has a Harvard canopy - it certainly has the rear section but the windscreen may (should?) differ.  However I wouldn't really recommend it as mine have gone yellow.  As said in another thread, there is also a CMR conversion set.

One other difference is that the T-6G has a Mustang tailwheel (and leg?) rather than the original Texan's.  There may also be minor panel changes, but none that bother me.  Also various aerial changes, but you've probably noticed those already, or would once you started.

What scale and kit are you converting?

If it's 1/72, Falcon does a collection that covers T-6,T-6G, and Harvard II.

http://www.jaysmodelkits.com/jaysmk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=102_106_107&products_id=377

I've had excellent service from Jay's on many occasions, and the shipping from New Zealand to Canada is both faster and cheaper than from dealers in the U.S. (75 miles away!)

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Tail-Dragon said:

What scale and kit are you converting?

If it's 1/72, Falcon does a collection that covers T-6,T-6G, and Harvard II.

http://www.jaysmodelkits.com/jaysmk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=102_106_107&products_id=377

I've had excellent service from Jay's on many occasions, and the shipping from New Zealand to Canada is both faster and cheaper than from dealers in the U.S. (75 miles away!)

Or, slightly closer to home for OP, available from Hannants:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/FNCV3072?result-token=Dpde6

Hi. I've been successful with the Aeroclub canopies( if you can get them) and the CMR one too The rear end of the cockpit opening and upper part of fuselage needs surgery mainly.

r79BdY.jpg

Heller kit with the CMR canopy.

18pRdO.jpg

This shows extent of mod to fuselage decking for new canopy.

IfcfEu.jpg

LAtHSh.jpg

Another Heller one but with Aeroclub canopy

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Nothi g received, Mike :(

Look again- I was up in the hobby room looking for my Azur kits and my Falcon canopy set, and just now sent it.

Mike

Chaps- @Wez@Graham Boak, @Tail-Dragon, @72modeler and @Paul J, my Yale arrived and it look great as a canopy donor. I am also thinking it could be good for a replacement cockpit as it has a lovely rendition :), tailwheel? and maybe other bits. Is there anything to be cautious about with my idea? 

Martin, how viable is the plan we discussed now you've got the two kits side by side?

One thing to watch is whether the respective kits cross sections match.

On 7/8/2020 at 1:01 AM, Graham Boak said:

It is also available in the Azur NA-57 and the RS Yale/NA.6.

Indeed it is and this is what it looks like.

50099853061_b41c40ebdf_k.jpg

It looks like we might have to go into production of these as they also fit the earliest of the Wirraways.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

It looks like we might have to go into production of these as they also fit the earliest of the Wirraways.

It sounds like a good idea Ed, I've not been able to understand why Falcon haven't done it in the Squadron range, although I suppose they only do in that what Squadron have asked for,  or do some like this in a range of singles of their own. There would be a niche for this among others I feel.

Steve.

• Like 1

The thing with the long canopied versions is that it requires modification to the upper rear fuselage just aft of the canopy, it's this that puts people off of doing it.

Just providing the canopy isn't enough, it needs to include the fuselage section. This is the approach Martin and I have discussed.

I'd love somebody to give us a modern long canopied version (Airfix are you listening, your old Harvard kit is long overdue replacement). Failing that, preferably a clear resin replacement that includes this section would suit me.

• Like 2

I was a little disappointed with the heaviness of the framing of the RS canopy, but am having more trouble with the cockpit interiors because or the lack of good locations.  I advise making a little jig of some kind to help get it square.  Nothing that can't be fixed but there are (or were) better alternatives for the interiors.  However, I'm a believer in "if you've got it, use it" for anything not actually awful.  I suspect the tailwheel will be fine for a Harvard but haven't checked, being more interested in making a Yale anyway.  At the moment.

12 hours ago, Wez said:

The thing with the long canopied versions is that it requires modification to the upper rear fuselage just aft of the canopy, it's this that puts people off of doing it.

Just providing the canopy isn't enough, it needs to include the fuselage section. This is the approach Martin and I have discussed.

I'd love somebody to give us a modern long canopied version (Airfix are you listening, your old Harvard kit is long overdue replacement). Failing that, preferably a clear resin replacement that includes this section would suit me.

Hi Wez, Looking briefly at both together I am sure that cutting the Yale rear cockpit portion in to the T-6 along the panel lines will work. I'll do a bit more testing of the theory tomorrow or on Monday. :). 

Martin  

• Like 1