Tanker T2-SE-A2, USS Pamanset (AO-85) Escambia Class | Print 3D & Scratch | 1/200

Hello Iceman,

Following our WIP constantly. Masterplan becoming a masterpiexe.

Thanks for posting the pics from the SS Khasiella (Shell Tankers Netherlands.)

Regards, Orion

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

bonjour, Iceman. I´m fairly new in britmodeller, so I´ve read your thread in one go. Amazing! I was rummaging to do some ship in 3D, most likely a spanish warship from the end of XIX century or beginnign of the XX and I´m also a fusion 360 user, so you can imagine the joy when I saw your work.

What tool did you use to fill between profiles in the hull? do you know a tutorial or book covering specifically model building from plans? I´ve seen plenty, but normally they invent the car/airplane or just eyeball the measures.

• Like 1

Hello and thank you.

I used the Loft function to fill in the elements, but I have to say that it's not easy, because the program is not really made to draw ship hulls, it can be very complicated sometimes. You have to make small elements for the bow and stern to get what you want.

I don't have a book to propose you for this exercise... 

Hi gentlemen,

Firstly I would just like to make it clear that I know nothing about Fusion 360, so if I am talking rubbish please ignore me. Sounds to me like the problem is modeling complex compound curved sculptural shapes in 3D, and that Fusion has some limitations with this, please correct me if I’m wrong.

Now,  I design cars for a living, and we use a NURBS based program called ALIAS to handle the jump from sketch to 3D model, it’s very good at managing complex surfaces, it’s a bit over the top for home use, but it has a little brother called Rhino3D which is much simpler to use. It just occurred to me that with things like ship hulls perhaps Rhino may be a good bet for accurate 3D surfacing.

Cheers

David

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I just cought up this topic and all I can say what you have achieved till now is amazing, a masterpiece work. I am also doing many 3D printing modelling but when I compare with your project mines look like simple toys...

Serkan

• Like 1

Thank Serkan Sen.

You are doing a great job with the Blackbird.

I find it difficult to model planes because you don't have the construction lines like on ships.

I am planning to model and print a seaplane, the Martin Mars M-170, which I like very much.

I already have a lot of documentation and two examples still exist.

What 3D software do you use?

On 30/01/2021 at 00:48, Dancona said:

Hi gentlemen,

Firstly I would just like to make it clear that I know nothing about Fusion 360, so if I am talking rubbish please ignore me. Sounds to me like the problem is modeling complex compound curved sculptural shapes in 3D, and that Fusion has some limitations with this, please correct me if I’m wrong.

Now,  I design cars for a living, and we use a NURBS based program called ALIAS to handle the jump from sketch to 3D model, it’s very good at managing complex surfaces, it’s a bit over the top for home use, but it has a little brother called Rhino3D which is much simpler to use. It just occurred to me that with things like ship hulls perhaps Rhino may be a good bet for accurate 3D surfacing.

Cheers

David

@David, I've uploaded a free version for 3 months of Rhino today, I had to learn to work with.. Tk! 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

You have done beautiful work here. I wonder if you have a STL file available. I sailed engine room aboard the Inger a T2-SE-A1 that was converted to a bulker. When I was aboard in the early 90's she was the oldest active merchant ship in the US fleet. She was built at Sun shipyard in 1945 as Fort Caspar. I collect all things T2 and would love the challenge of this build.

Regards

Cay

• Like 1

Thanks Cay.

I'm sorry, but I don't give away my STL files, and what's more, I haven't finished designing this ship, and I think it would be very complicated for you to print it, given the multitude of files produced. 

This was my first 3D project, 3 years ago, and my way of working in this field wasn't totally up to scratch.

If I had to do it again, I wouldn't do it the same way. My experience has evolved in terms of 3D design and 3D printing. 

Resin 3D resin printers have also evolved enormously.

Nice ship,  well converted.

http://www.aukevisser.nl/t2tanker/id478.htm

Fort Caspar / T2-SE-A1

Fort Caspar – Built in 1945 by Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Chester for the United States War Shipping Administration, Philadelphia. To Atlantic Refining Co, Philadelphia in 1946, renamed Atlantic Explorer. To Tidewas Steamship Corporation, New York in 1958, renamed Wang Hunter. To Globe Waterways Corporation, New York in 1960, renamed Transnorthern. To Fox Shipping Inc, New York in 1962. Rebuilt as 14,192 GT bulk carrier, renamed Inger. To The Reynolds Metals Company, New York in 1978. To Sealift Bulkers Inc, New York in 1985. Scrapped at Alang, India in 1995.

294d843b0.jpg

"Inger", ex. "Transnorthern", ex. "Wang Hunter", ex. "Atlantic Exporter", ex. "Fort Caspar".

295400aa0.jpg

2953845b0.jpg

• Like 1