Stynylrez issues?

LooseSeal

Hi guys,

So, I have the black, white and grey Stynylrez primers. The white and grey have always sprayed pretty well for me, but for whatever reason, the black is just a complete nightmare... I've now tried 2 different bottles and had the same issues since the moment I opened them (so really shouldn't be due to the freezing issue I've heard about). For a while it will spray perfectly, then stop intermittently before just giving up entirely. Weirdly enough, when I then inspect the inners of the airbrush the nozzle isn't blocked and I can't find any clumps or dried bits anywhere else. I haven't a clue why it stops spraying, and why it only affects the black.

Has anyone else had problems with the black? Is there any particular thinner I should be using? I think this is so frustrating because I love the finish of Stynylez and I don't think there's much better out there.

That’s strange mate. 
I’ve used most colours, mainly black though. 
Always neat and through a 0.3mm air brush. 
Yes a bit of tip dry during long sessions when its warm in the shed but nothing like completely stopping 🤷🏼‍♂️

I have also used all three colors you mention and the only I had issues with was the white one, similar to what you are describing with the black. I don't think it blocked up entirely, but getting it out of the airbrush became much more difficult. What ended up working for me was simply increasing the PSI significantly for white. 

So I suggest either trying with a much higher psi (30+) first, but straining the black like you mention may reveal that you did receive some dud bottles. I've never tried this but you could also perhaps try thinning it a little with water? I also assume you're shaking the heck out of these before using them. 

Try warming the bottle in hotish water, add a couple of mixing balls, shake really well, works a treat.  I spray through a 0.4 at 30psi, stop start etc, the needle does accumulate dried paint but a quick wipe and it's gone, it doesn't have any effect on the surface finish.  

• 8 months later...

Just found this.  I am so glad that it is not just me.  I have all three primer colours.  The white and grey spray beautifully bit the black is a nightmare.  I have shaken and stirred (using my adapted electric milk frother) and cranked the pressure up to 30psi - no improvement!!  I will now try warming the primer.

Main reason for this post is to ask LooseSeal - have you managed to achieve any improvements?

I've used Ultimate's gloss black primer (which I believe is just Stynylrez with a different label), to get decent results I found I had to thin slightly (no more than 20% thinner, I use Vallejo) and run at a higher pressure than the regular grey primer, around 30psi, then apply very light coats. This is with a 0.35 needle.

The grey primer is far more forgiving, neat at around 20 psi and sprayed on in a single heavier coat is fine.

Edited by -Ian-

7 minutes ago, -Ian- said:

I've used Ultimate's gloss black primer (which I believe is just Stynylrez with a different label), to get decent results I found I had to thin slightly (no more than 20% thinner, I use Vallejo) and run at a higher pressure than the regular grey primer, around 30psi, then apply very light coats. This is with a 0.35 needle.

I have several of UPM (rebranded Badger/Stynylrez) primers, and I shoot them with the 0.5mm needle in Ultimate Apex Airbrush. I don't need to thin the gloss black one, and I don't thin the others as well. Shoots without problems with 0.5 at around 22-25 psi. Build up in light coats or just single heavier coat, it levels out beatifully no matter what, it seems. Absolutely my favourite primers!

39 minutes ago, Norseman 3:16 said:

Just found this.  I am so glad that it is not just me.  I have all three primer colours.  The white and grey spray beautifully bit the black is a nightmare.  I have shaken and stirred (using my adapted electric milk frother) and cranked the pressure up to 30psi - no improvement!!  I will now try warming the primer.

Main reason for this post is to ask LooseSeal - have you managed to achieve any improvements?

Hey. To be honest, I gave up on the black Stynylrez and switched to using Mr Surfacer 1500 black instead. I still use the white and grey in Stynylrez, but I just couldn't get the black to work. The only thing that had any effect was thinning it with water, but then it just became way too liquid. I didn't try Vallejo thinners as Ian said above, so maybe that works?

Personally though, I'm more than happy with Mr Surfacer so I don't see any need to go back. Only problem with Mr Surfacer is it's essentially become gold dust during the pandemic... barely a drop in stock.

Thanks LooseSeal - i think a change of brand for black primer is the simpler approach.  I'm only frustrating myself trying to 'fix' the problem.

All the best!