1/72 Wellington - which to build?

NavyWessex

44 minutes ago, RJP said:

I am curious about surface detail on the Matchbox kit.  The fabric presentation over the lattice is always hard for manufacturers.  

I have looked for a review - no luck - but seem to recall it was well regarded at the time.

If I can get some photo's of my Wellington kit on the site you should be able to see it, as my kit is just a reboxing of the Matchbox Model from 1976 with new Decals.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MDriskill said:

I don't know boo about Wellingtons or kits thereof, but this line made my morning!

Me too!  It reminds me of the Mr. Bean where he knocked out his dentist and filled his own teeth!

7 hours ago, RJP said:

I am curious about surface detail on the Matchbox kit.  The fabric presentation over the lattice is always hard for manufacturers.  

I have looked for a review - no luck - but seem to recall it was well regarded at the time.

Comparison shot of Trumpeter, MPM and Matchbox wing surface treatments part way down this page http://www.hyperscale.com/2010/features/wellingtongrxiv72md_1.htm

Edited by Work In Progress

2 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Matchbox sprues can be seen here: http://www.matchboxkits.org/product_info.php?cPath=27_36_61&products_id=609

Chris

That is an exact match for my Revell kit, although that kit didn't come with a booklet about how to build your Vickers Wellington and how differentiate between the Mk. X and the Mk. XIV which is an extra set of Decals for No. 99 Squadron South East Asia Command, India 1944 which is for the Wellington B Mk. X,  having looked at the Matchbox kit the other Decals are for the Mk. XIV as the are completely different. 

Thanks for the Matchbox links and pictures.  I'd always heard the surface detail was very good and so it seems.  Of course, back when it was issued its sole competition in 1/72 was the 1959 Airfix effort.  That's not a slam on the Airfix kit BTW which in the context of 1959 was not bad at all.

This thread prompted me to examine one of the stashed pair of Italeri Mk. X bought at a steep discount from a shop that was closing out.  I had no plan  to build them but couldn't pass up the price;  they were just added to the stash and forgotten.  I'm not sure there's anything much wrong with the surface detail there either and it sure looks better than the starved horse treatment that Trumpeter gave it..  I haven't made a start on building yet but I quite like what I see.  And there is a complete set of cowlings, engines and props (and the long windows) for a Mk. I.   There just has to be more to it than that.