1/72 Wellington - which to build?

NavyWessex

Hi all,

I'm looking to build a Vickers Wellington in 1/72. Whilst the question is quite broad, I'm aware there are several different manufacturers that have kit offerings available.

Airfix, Revell, Italeri and Trumpeter all have kits available on the market, but I'm looking for suggestions as to which is the nicest and most accurate build.

Airfix I'd imagine is the cleanest build and would build well, but I always find that surface detail (like rivets) is a bit bare with them.

Any suggestions appreciated.

For me, Airfix: no question.

Revell (ex Matchbox): dates from 1970s.  Outlines not bad but detail levels far below current state of the art.

Italeri: ghastly kit, tooled by MPM for Italeri and very far from their finest hour.  Famous for poor fit, errors and surgery needed to actually complete (eg if with building a variant with a 2-gun tail turret, both nose and tail turrets should be identical: in the kit they are very different in size.  If building variant with 4-gun turret, surgery will be required to get the turret to fit: nary a mention of that in the instructions.  For masochists and the insane only.  There are also MPM Wellington kits around: also avoid.

Trumpeter: nicely moulded, was best in breed until the Airfix kit came out.  But the geodetic surface structure is seriously over-emphasized and, more seriously, the main wheels are ridiculously narrow: more like wheels for a bicycle than for a heavy bomber.  This error can't be corrected without rebuilding the undercarriage legs and the nacelles as well.

Airfix: not the cheapest.  You pay a lot for the very complete interior detail which is largely invisible on the completed model but it's all there if you want it and Airfix tell you which bits you can safely leave out if you don't.  Haven't heard the slightest breath of criticism re accuracy.  As with most Airfix kits there will be a little irritating flash to trim away to assure perfect fit whereas the Trumpeter kit is IIRC flash-free..

I have acquired all 4 kits over the years but haven't looked at all of them recently - especially the Italeri: I value my mental health too much.

So - an open and shut case: Airfix if you can afford it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

If you are not bothered about which variant you want,..... then Airfix is the way to go,..... wonderful kit.

If you want a specific variant,..... then Trumpeter kits are good and they include later variants with the Hercules engine.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A nice kit is the former (now Revell) Wellington.

See here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21603181@N08/5327824271/in/photolist-qNdS6A-rXnsT5-aFRwKv-97Nuxa

There is the nice CC version included:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21603181@N08/16275631116/in/photolist-qNdS6A-rXnsT5-aFRwKv-97Nuxa

The MPM later Revell Mk II is a tricky kit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21603181@N08/6358218187/in/photolist-qNdS6A-rXnsT5-aFRwKv-97Nuxa

The NOVO kit, is a former FROG , (never released by FROG) later issud by Maquette and other companies.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21603181@N08/17035514258/in/photolist-qNdS6A-rXnsT5-aFRwKv-97Nuxa

The mine ring is not in the kit.

modelldoc

• Thanks 1

I highly recommend the Airfix kit. Very enjoyable to build, and I found this kit did well to replicate the structure of the Wellington inside and out. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Seahawk said:

.... but haven't looked at all of them recently - especially the Italeri: I value my mental health too much.

No Wellingtons, but I have two different Italeri kits on the go at the moment and I'm beginning to think that amateur self-dentistry might be less painful and traumatic than finishing these.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, NavyWessex said:

Hi all,

I'm looking to build a Vickers Wellington in 1/72. Whilst the question is quite broad, I'm aware there are several different manufacturers that have kit offerings available.

Airfix, Revell, Italeri and Trumpeter all have kits available on the market, but I'm looking for suggestions as to which is the nicest and most accurate build.

Airfix I'd imagine is the cleanest build and would build well, but I always find that surface detail (like rivets) is a bit bare with them.

Any suggestions appreciated.

As the Wellington is predominantly fabric covered there will be very few rivets to see.  The fabric effect is subtly and delicately rendered however.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

No Wellingtons, but I have two different Italeri kits on the go at the moment and I'm beginning to think that amateur self-dentistry might be less painful and traumatic than finishing these.

I wouldn't be that damning on Italeri as a brand.  There's the early stuff, mostly German like the Ju 188 and Do 24, which still scrubs up pretty well if you can accept the raised panel lines and limited interior detail.  There's some of their most recent stuff like the CR.42 and SM.79 which I find quite acceptable.  In between there's a whole slew of kits from the period (1980s?) when Italeri decided to try being a volume producer ie quantity and low prices rather than quality: most of those (eg Spitfires, Corsairs,  Skyhawks, Bf 109s, Fw 190A) are pretty forgettable and many inaccurate (the Spitfire IX is execrable) and have been eclipsed by the products of other companies, even at the same price point.   And of course Italeri are not cheap any longer.

The Wellington was in a different class.  Produced by MPM for Italeri, it had signs of a well-designed initial concept (eg options for many variants) that had been rushed through to completion.  Releasing it to the market as it was was just extracting the urine.  A blot of the reputations of MPM (who at the time were riding quite high) and Italeri.  The Hudson, another MPM/Italeri cooperation, was nearly as bad.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Airfix is the best on market now for sure. Before it appeared I did 3 Wimpy variants converting all from Italeri/MPM kits. I do not remember build of them THAT horrible as written here  :)

Regards

J-W

• Thanks 1

I agree with JWM above re the MPM/Italeri Wellington, specifically the Mark II in my case. I’d read all the horror stories about how hard it was to build but when I got the chance to buy one for £7.00 I thought ‘what the heck ?’ You need to insert a shim in the nose in front of the cockpit and remove some material from the top of the wheel wells. The front and rear turrets are slightly different sizes as mentioned but in the end it goes together okay. I’d quite happily do another one. It certainly looks the part when finished and I wanted a Wellington with Merlins so I’m happy. I have the Matchbox kit which was an easy build, it also looks great, and the new Airfix which I’ve yet to start so I can’t comment on that one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all for the comments, wasn't expecting this much detail.

When I mentioned riveting in my original post, I was actually referring to the ribbing detail of the fabric that I wasn't sure if Airfix would accurately replicate. 

I'm pretty set on a Coastal Command variant that served at RAF St Eval and looks like Trumpeter might be the only manufacturer to issue the variant with the "bulge" under the nose. Believe this may be a GR.Mk.XIV.

wel5-Coastal-Command-Wellington-.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NavyWessex said:

the ribbing detail of the fabric that I wasn't sure if Airfix would accurately replicate.

The Airfix rendition is excellent whereas the Trumpeter version will require a LOT of filling and sanding etc to get a similar result. You can find pictures of Wellingtons in flight with deep shadows and in scrapyards which look  sort of like the Trumpeter version. Review here

http://www.hyperscale.com/2008/reviews/kits/trumpeter01633reviewbg_1.htm

Brett is being kind when he says "Surface texture may not be to everyone's taste". On the other hand, I suppose some people might like it.

However if you want a GR XIV it is between Trumpeter and Matchbox. Depending on your finances and level of enthusiasm you might consider a cross-kit.

You could probably pick up the Matchbox pretty cheaply and use the rear turret, engines and cowlings and radar nose to modify the Airfix? A bit of surgery required but probably no more than the Italeri or Trumpeter to get an equivalently accurate result...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Vulcanicity said:

You could probably pick up the Matchbox pretty cheaply and use the rear turret, engines and cowlings and radar nose to modify the Airfix? A bit of surgery required but probably no more than the Italeri or Trumpeter to get an equivalently accurate result...

By Airfix, do you mean the old, old Mk.III or the new Mk.IC/VIII?

Chris

The ex-Matchbox Revell 1/72 Vickers Wellington (04601) is quite agricultural
142535679.jpg

The 1959 Airfix kit still scrubs up

316601542.jpg

49408164876_ccf02e88ae_c.jpg

49658216491_2769f009a3_c.jpg

But the new Airfix kit knocks the socks off them

49550522197_0da674e709_c.jpg

I suppose it depends on whether you want to model a particular type

• Like 3

I highly recommend either Airfix option - I'm currently building the GR MkVIII but have also built the MkIC . WIP is here, if you are interested:

Good luck whatever you choose!

Cheers,

Roger

On 7/7/2020 at 12:32 PM, jackroadkill said:

I don't know boo about Wellingtons or kits thereof, but this line made my morning!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have the Revell 1:72 Vickers Wellington Mk X / XIV (2002) (04601) According to scalemates it is the reboxing of the 90's Matchbox kit No. 40402.  Haven't started building it yet so not sure how it will go together but from what everyone is saying it will be a "difficult" and "challenging" build.

1 hour ago, David Hadland said:

I have the Revell 1:72 Vickers Wellington Mk X / XIV (2002) (04601) According to scalemates it is the reboxing of the 90's Matchbox kit No. 40402.  Haven't started building it yet so not sure how it will go together but from what everyone is saying it will be a "difficult" and "challenging" build.

If it is the Matchbox Wellie, it dates to the 70s. Not a lot of detail, but fit and shape fairly good

I am curious about surface detail on the Matchbox kit.  The fabric presentation over the lattice is always hard for manufacturers.  

I have looked for a review - no luck - but seem to recall it was well regarded at the time.