F-16 MLU "100th anniversary 1st squadron" Belgium; Revell 1/72

Good day friends!

I'd like to present to you my latest complete project - the belgium F-16 MLU in colorfull and very exciting anniversary livery.

The kit is the Revell's, well known to many of you. It appear on the market in 2000 and up to now have 16 different issues, most of them in colorfull camouflages, like tigermeet airplanes and etc.

The current livery is most exciting livery for my own. It was created by the Happy Design Studio for the 100tg anniversary of 1st squadron "Stingers".

More for the kit and the plane you can read here: F-16 MLU kit and plane

The painting process you can watch here: F-16 MLU painting

Beutifully aranged colors and shapes and huge and pretty  Scottish thistle on the fin. And their moto "Nemo me impune lacessit" (No one provokes me with impunity) on the external fuel tanks.

The decals in the kit represent the color stripes and all painting on the fin very well, but from my own opinion the colors of  the stripes are wrong. The original colors are actualy the standard F-16 camouflage colors. Compared with them, the Revell decals look darker and wrong.

Ecpecially the yellow stripes are in difeerend, more warmer tone than the original. You can see the bright, lemon yellow in the video.

n5xlKi4.jpg

Therefore I have  decided to make the camo on my own using paints.

After cockpit assembly, some rescribing and riveting to improve the panel lines I started with the yellow areas. After drying of the paint it was sanded down to remove sharp borders between colors and to blend it with the surounding surface. At the end the yellow was polished.

J2xqXeo.jpg

fQZqENM.jpg

The horizontal stabilizers were also painted, sanded and polished:

TsuXGWI.jpg

After that with templates based on the original decals, I have positioned masks and covered the yellow zone. The front yellow stripes are masked with 0.7mm wide masking stripe.

The all model was painted with undersurface color light gray.

And then started with masking for the second middle gray color.

oXlT0RL.jpg

kLEiE5K.jpg

And after painting with middle gray, masked for the black:

7dwE4SB.jpg

PPXvYdf.jpg

I have used the great semi-gloss black of Mr. Hobby.

From here on all remaing thing was easy.

I have changed the original AIM-120 rockets with Eduard's resin ones. 

The fin decals are just perfectly sized and shaped. The just laid without any problem.

The whole decals design work is stunning!

Here is the result:

W9WDbDV.jpg

lw2MLVj.jpg

DhwV91D.jpg

yzcgSW1.jpg

Jxqdf1k.jpg

KrkgY3R.jpg

oFDGpX5.jpg

Xzh7zAB.jpg

ue9PdvQ.jpg

8Zhhtv6.jpg

yXrSQrQ.jpg

XCklKvA.jpg

BW01eQx.jpg

Q8SOc4v.jpg

Details:

2L9yCas.jpg

mKThA45.jpg

vc3GpaA.jpg

lBOtEDa.jpg

F3XEzLi.jpg

86Mocwf.jpg

2UBs8Wl.jpg

SHhCHTW.jpg.

As you can see all stripes are perfectly aligned. The yellow stripes on the horizontal stabilezers are aligned with the feuselage stripes.

jTMbh8m.jpg

oHn1TnT.jpg

T1paMGE.jpg

VGvUudc.jpg

W3NZ1Xq.jpg

uYBrX1u.jpg

bEBpmN3.jpg

iIjsZra.jpg

i1KW4tW.jpg

rkNbP8h.jpg

n2VwH16.jpg

And few more pictures:

LgRg4Sy.jpg

q6wS48Z.jpg

ZuObBxp.jpg

Edited by Stefanoff
  • Like 40
  • Thanks 2

To be honest - I have planed to make wash on the undercarriage bays, but I wanted to keep it clean as possible. It looks little sterile like this, but I don't want dirt in the bays on whole clean aircraft.

Edited by Stefanoff
  • Like 1

Fantastic work masking & painting. The only way to go to with scheme. Only question, was that yellow text on the stabilisers on the decal sheet? I thought for a moment that you masked for them. Excellent video of them painting the actual thing.

Great build, I really love the masking and paint job you have done.  I have one in my stash to build when I get time, but I’m not confident enough to to be masking off like you have done and will use the decals instead. 
   I managed to catch FA-132 at Florennes in 2017 during the TWM which is one of the reasons I bought the kit as I thought it was a fantastic scheme. 

• Like 1