E-152M Missile question

John R

Here's one for the nerds/rivet counters amongst us. I am building a Modelsvit E-152M and just about to paint the test missile. According to the instructions there are black markings on each of the edges of the missile's fins but from the only picture that I have seen it appears to me that this is not the case. My thoughts are that if all are marked identically and the missile flight path is being tracked optically then it would be difficult to establish its orientation whereas this would not be the case if some were marked differently. Has anybody got any other information that would resolve this matter? What is the point of those markings if not for the purpose of tracking ?

John

There are several good photographs of the Mikoyan K-9-155 missile on p. 13-14 of Yefim Gordons "Soviet / Russian aircraft weapons since World War Two".

The leading edges of the missile's wings and stabs were indeed painted black (cue The Rolling Stones!) - not to serve as calibration marks, but as an attempt to disguise their actual shape and make the missile look like a copy of the AIM-7 Sparrow to prying Western intel satellites.  

HTH,

Andre

Edited by Hook

It was the K-9 missiles on the E-152A that were disguised as AIM-7 Sparrows by painting the fins with black triangles.....

spacer.png

John R is talking about the K-80 missiles on the E-152M.......

spacer.png

I don't know why they had those black markings - but I'd just go with your strapline John R..... Stop trying to be perfect and get it finished!

There's a photo of the above configuration on page 47 of Yefim Gordon's 'Soviet Heavy Interceptors' (Vol 19 in his Red Star series)

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

The same one appears in 'MiG' by Belyakov. In neither can I see black on the missile fin that is canted inboard - which means an easier paint job!

John