Revell v Tamiya

Monty Python

Hello Monty,

the Revell offering is old and "over simplified". One big problem is the canopy; it's out of shape. So much that the only option is to build the kit with open canopies. The re-heaters have the correct diameter. I have the F-4F boxing and another concern is the separate nose as it's attachment feels pretty poor (the attachment of a heavy nose/cockpit part is based on few narrow surfaces).

Some say the Tamiya Phantom is the best in any scale. Well, I don't agree... I've been building one for nearly three years now and there isn't a single part I haven't altered somehow. One big problem is the rear fuselage as it is out of shape (too box-like) and there isn't enough plastic to sand it into correct shape. If you choose this one, attach some plasticard inside the rear fuselage to increase the thickness. Also the surface detailing is far too simple for a model of this size. The fuselage is 6 millimeters too short (6 mm missing between the antenna on the middle of the spine and vertical stabilizer).

Tamiya also has out of scale cockpit interiors. The pilot's instrument panel is few millimeters too narrow. I had to use 1/48 scale instrument decals to make them look right. And the cockpit lacks details.

Absolutely the worst thing are the air intakes. There are the funnels provided but they are ca. 1 cm too short. I decided to fix the problem with Milliput... If you can have those resin intakes, use them! I took the re-heaters (or Turkey Feathers) from the Revell kit as they are too small in Tamiya kit.

Here are only some notes about the kits. If you want an accurate Phantom, you should be prepare yourself with a lot of work no matter which kit you choose. There is also a noticeable difference in the prize...

Hope this helps and if you wish to have further information I'm happy to help.

Stay safe and keep on modelling🙂

Cheers,

Antti