The other Tim's Airfix 1/48 BF109E-4/B 3rd Staffel Erprobungsgruppe 210 - Yellow 1 - Oberleutnant Otto Hinze

Done I think.

mWXUEbs.jpg

Hintze flew the airframe from 1st July - 17th Oct, where it was taken off charge as it had flown 250hrs. He was shot down in White 6 on 29th Oct 40 right at the end of the battle, apparently by a Spitfire flown by Sgt Burgess of 222 Squadron.

Messerschmitt-Bf-109E4B-3.ErpGr210-Yello

Whilst doing some research, I came up with a tenuous personal link!

I was posted to Dover for 5 years, spent a lot of time running along the white cliffs etc, being Dover we were always running up the hill at the end of the PT, as the camp was just behind the castle....one young officer liked to take us to the port once a week, running down the hill.....straight into the sea, swim out to a wall, swim back, run back up the hill, a weekly joy!

However some of the routes were fascinating, along the cliffs west, gun emplacements etc...even our sports field dated back to a WW1 fighter strip, and Fort Burgoyne was inside the camp, used as a vehicle park was fascinating, with tunnels, rumoured to go to the castle. 

Camp is now closed and the Land Trust open up the fort.

https://thelandtrust.org.uk/space/fort-burgoyne/

I digress....we had various annual fitness tests, a couple unique to our unit. One of which was the 2 miler. To be done in max of 18 minutes, carrying 29Lb of webbing/daysack, wearing 10lb body armour and a helmet, carrying a rifle. This is a quite tough test. The route was around the masts just over the road from our camp....Turns out this was the site of the Swingate Radar station here (you can see a scar to the west which is the old site of the camp, now demolished, with the fort intact to the north end.

I remember thinking it must be WW2 related.

Turns out it was targeted by Erprobungsgruppe 210 on the morning of 12 Aug 1940. According to page 28 of the Bombsites over Britain book, Hintze led this raid of 8 Bf109E-4/B's. Am I right in saying its a SC 250 KG on Yellow 3?

Depicted in Graham Turner's painting 'Attacking the Chain Home Radar Sites'

aIRMs6C.jpg

Build was fairly straightforward and enjoyable, a nice Airfix kit.

never before build a WW2 Luftwaffe kit or painted it, save when I was a kid! Enjoyed the mottle challenge with a 0.2 needle airbrush ! Looks ok I think. Helmut Wick's Bf109E-4 is nearing completion as well.

xSgdNFT.jpg

wLScWSz.jpg

RPazxG7.jpg

DmgbTXw.jpg

tHHXefz.jpg

ENac67k.jpg

2STR8CN.jpg

Thanks for helping along with advice - its great that people will help out especially as my knowledge is limited on WW2 fighters. 210 Erpro is an interesting subject, found the Bombsights over England read very helpful.

• Like 5