The other Tim's Airfix 1/48 BF109E-4/B 3rd Staffel Erprobungsgruppe 210 - Yellow 1 - Oberleutnant Otto Hinze

The next build I plan is of a BF109E-4/B. Reading through a bit of history, I became aware of the Fighter Bomber squadron, that was shortlived, but quite effective. Erprobungsgruppe literally means test group and were involved in the concept, with 2 x Bf110 Staffel and 1 x Bf109 Staffel.

TNPOOGI.jpg

mWXUEbs.jpg

The fighter codes were smaller than usual on the units aircraft, about the same size as the cross in height, so again, great advice to use 1/72 versions!

Having read a bit and become hooked, I bought a coy of Bombsights over England, by John J Vasco - a fascinating read for anyone interested in BoB history. But I expect plenty on this GB will know about the unit, the book etc.

hnoqop0.jpg

The Bf109E-4/B's had a ETC-500 bomb rack, I think it could carry 4 x SC 50KG bombs, or 1 SC 250 KG bomb? It appears I may have an SC 500 KG bomb in the kit? Can I gather that I should fit the SC 250 on my build? 

Also noted is the unarmoured Windscreen and lack of head armour, plus the latest 'square' canopy. Being a non Bf109 expert (I do see lots of German and RAF references to Me109 but won't go there as I have been warned!) I had to ensure I use the right parts on my build earlier on the chat, thanks for the help chaps!

Will use part 26 Spinner

kvuGQZP.jpg

Parts 3,6 and 8 for the canopy - think thats right?

rr6X5ls.jpg

Will Omit part 36

uMJzcbc.jpg

Hintze flew the airframe from 1st July - 17th Oct, where it was taken off charge as it had flown 250hrs. He was shot down in White 6 on 29th Oct 40 right at the end of the battle, apparently by a Spitfire flown by Sgt Burgess of 222 Squadron.

Messerschmitt-Bf-109E4B-3.ErpGr210-Yello

Hintze was wounded but managed to bail out and became a POW.

Yellow 3 is also featured in the book, flown by Lt Horst Marx, shot down and injured, becoming a POW during the Croydon raid on 15th Sept 1940. That day was costly for the unit, with the loss/heavy damage of 7 Bf110 as well as Hintze's  Bf109 Yellow 3.

A Yellow 11 can also be seen in a pic, but I thought I'd go for Yellow 1 as it was the lead and was pretty much omni-present during the battle.

Messerschmitt-Bf-109E-3.ErpGr210-Yellow-

The Staffel had a yellow painted spinner tip and a bit of non standard camo, appears to be the normal RLM 65 undersides and sides, RLM 71/02 wings and upper cam, but in place of the sometimes seen mottle, there appears to be a more stripe variation, using both RLM 02/71.

Couple of builds here:

http://www.hyperscale.com/2013/features/bf109e348rm_1.htm

https://imodeler.com/2018/12/airfix-1-48-scale-messerschmitt-bf-109-e-4-b/

and a great 1/32 build here:

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/32278-bf109-e-4b-yellow-6-oblt-otto-hintze-3-erprgr210-1940/

Whilst doing some research, I came up with a tenuous personal link!

I was posted to Dover for 5 years, spent a lot of time running along the white cliffs etc, being Dover we were always running up the hill at the end of the PT, as the camp was just behind the castle....one young officer liked to take us to the port once a week, running down the hill.....straight into the sea, swim out to a wall, swim back, run back up the hill, a weekly joy!

However some of the routes were fascinating, along the cliffs west, gun emplacements etc...even our sports field dated back to a WW1 fighter strip, and Fort Burgoyne was inside the camp, used as a vehicle park was fascinating, with tunnels, rumoured to go to the castle. 

Camp is now closed and the Land Trust open up the fort.

https://thelandtrust.org.uk/space/fort-burgoyne/

I digress....we had various annual fitness tests, a couple unique to our unit. One of which was the 2 miler. To be done in max of 18 minutes, carrying 29Lb of webbing/daysack, wearing 10lb body armour and a helmet, carrying a rifle. This is a quite tough test. The route was around the masts just over the road from our camp....Turns out this was the site of the Swingate Radar station here (you can see a scar to the west which is the old site of the camp, now demolished, with the fort intact to the north end.

I remember thinking it must be WW2 related.

Turns out it was targeted by Erprobungsgruppe 210 on the morning of 12 Aug 1940. According to page 28 of the Bombsites over Britain book, Hintze led this raid of 8 Bf109E-4/B's. Am I right in saying its a SC 250 KG on Yellow 3?

Depicted in Graham Turner's painting 'Attacking the Chain Home Radar Sites'

aIRMs6C.jpg

https://www.studio88.co.uk/acatalog/Attacking_the_Chain_Home_radar_sites.html

So, I think I plan to build the subject, Yellow 1, in flight that morning.

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 16

Getting the parts off the sprue ready to prime - trying to get this done for all the builds so I can be most efficient with bench time painting and building the cockpits.

A test fit sees the pins really tight in the holes - a bit of flash to get rid of as well.

As ever with these WW2 builds, need some advice.

Airfix have a few different colours in the pit but the model box build is of a later era. BF109E4 or E7. Mainly slate grays etc.

My Eduard BF109E4 from BoB period has most of the inside RLM02?

would the Eduard call out be best ?

also should I fit the part labelled C ? Intriguingly there is no option C in the boxing only A/B!

hvOyA6Q.jpg

bfblJhu.jpg

G0ItQTy.jpg

what strikes me is just how small the BF-09 was even compared to the spitfire and Hurticane.

• Like 6

Hi Tim,

Yes, I would go with RLM02 for the interior, it did change to RLM66 but I believe this post-dated the period in question. As for part 'C' I think that is the bomb selector and arming/fusing panel so it would be appropriate for your build :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Hi Tim,

Yes, I would go with RLM02 for the interior, it did change to RLM66 but I believe this post-dated the period in question. As for part 'C' I think that is the bomb selector and arming/fusing panel so it would be appropriate for your build :) 

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks @Stew Dapple thats really helpful.

Not my scale but definitely a subject I'm keen on, Eprb 210 has long been of interest to me, I have several of Vasco's book on this unit & its successors. I'll be keeping an eye on this for sure.

Steve.

• Like 1

Got some time on my builds this weekend, so a bit of mass production of cockpit areas etc....

Priming done

odHFN7r.jpg

Mainly RLM02 interior, picked some bits out and done a basic IP.

y1AtlIE.jpg

Thought I'd take the chance to get the RLM out on the paint mule wings and look at mottling. stripes etc, as 210 seemed to use stripes rather than mottle:

Mr Paint and HP-C - I have never attempted mottling at all and will need on my Bf110 and other Bf109 build....

OAoYtIE.jpg

exwoRZ4.jpg

Mr Paint with SOTAR 20/20 and the sponge used around the area of the hole.

WtJPfHK.jpg

Looks ok for me, the other Bf109 needs really tight mottling so will likely use the sponge. Will try Mr Color paint thinned a bit as well to see the affect as Mr Paint is really pre-thinned

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Tim Moff said:

the sponge used around the area of the hole.

Is that literally a piece of sponge dipped in paint and dabbed on the model Tim? Looks very effective if so.

I’m hoping to build a 109 later in this group build (if time permits) but am very nervous of mottling- especially with my airbrush, so am keen to watch and learn!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Steve 1602 said:

Is that literally a piece of sponge dipped in paint and dabbed on the model Tim? Looks very effective if so.

I’m hoping to build a 109 later in this group build (if time permits) but am very nervous of mottling- especially with my airbrush, so am keen to watch and learn!

I placed some paint in a small dish, dipped a small piece of bath sponge in, then wipe off on some kitchen roll (similar to dry brushing) until literally dry, then dabbed on with some tweezers - the other areas are airbrush. 

I will be 'tuning in on a paint mule before the real dab!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Always satisfying to button up the fuselage.

79ihVaD.jpg

Hopefully the rest will go together well and I will be finishing up the build soon before we get to the paint stage.

• Like 11

17 hours ago, SimonT said:

Hi Tim, don't hate me but:

🤣🤣🤣 - typical - it maybe the first time I’ve achieved blending in the seams and they were built just like airfix’s kit !!

If history is anything to go by there will be a faint line visible that I’d normally curse but this time around will be the right thing 🤓

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Much too hot to go in the garage and do anything build/paint wise ...

so masking began - plenty to do 😳

rest have pre cut though 💪🏻

TlIuo0a.jpg

anyone have any ideas in the inside frame colour I should spray first ? RLM02?

• Like 6

Hi Tim,

Regarding bombs, Green says the normal load for an E-4B was either 4 x 110lb or 1 x 550 lb, which I would translate as 4 x SC50 or 1 x SC 250. I rather think an SC500 would be too heavy at around 1000lb, so I would say you are correct in your assumptions stated earlier. Sorry, so many builds that I have only just noticed your question. If in doubt Wiki says that the 250 was 164cm long overall of which 120cm was the actual body and the rest the tail, and the diameter was 37cm. I actually have a fuse recovered from one of these beggars that my Auctioneer Brother in Law was given by the ex Bomb Disposal chap who took it out - apparently..

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2020 at 8:06 PM, Tim Moff said:

Much too hot to go in the garage and do anything build/paint wise ...

so masking began - plenty to do 😳

rest have pre cut though 💪🏻

TlIuo0a.jpg

anyone have any ideas in the inside frame colour I should spray first ? RLM02?

Seems I fell for the box art and there should not have been a frame in the middle of the opening part of the canopy....too late! 

Got the RLM65 on.

started off by marbling over the black base using Mr Color 318 Radome and a lightened Swedish blue. I then highlighted the panel lines using Mr Color 331 Dark Sea Grey.

once done I then used a very thin Mr Color 115 RLM65 to slowly build up the main colour.

Hopefully the process will leave some good tonal variation.

5Smua7F.jpg

TlD2RXf.jpg

one wing done 

RnPjYFE.jpg

QZ6dFT3.jpg

1C6qJ1N.jpg

ftaxuSE.jpg

next I need to add the RLM02/71.

looking at references the camo comes fairly low on the fuselage before the ‘tiger’ type stripes.

will use blue tac rather than tape - and as per @Stew Dapple’s build I’m thinking the airframe would have had RLM02 overpainted on the RLM70, so looking at doing the RLM71 first.

also some of the 210 Erpro Bf109s had a wavy wing join rather than a straight line on the leading edge - again will use blue tac.

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 9

More painting today 

some blu tac on to simulate the wavy leading edges 

oOWqgP1.jpg

Loose blu tac to allow marbling of RLM 71 using RLM02 and PRU blue 

jr21yW0.jpg

Top cote on 

DjbXPcn.jpg

sorted masking 

bUK5tG5.jpg

marbling using radome and PRU blue

FszUpl8.jpg

RLM02 on

VHKLrhE.jpg

pSsDdvQ.jpg

pQnb1qY.jpg

mHedwmz.jpg

bynDVx3.jpg

RLM71 stripes on 

ds76Z3O.jpg

RsYrN9m.jpg

seems to look ok ?

next some detail painting where needed and decals !

• Like 7