Hurrican ! Arma 1/72 kit

So I also want to do the Arma Hurricane, my plan is to do the aircraft of, John Dallas Crossman, an Australian who flew with No 32 Squadron and No 46 Squadron and was killed on the 30th of September 1940 at 13:30hrs. He was shot down in his Hurricane I (V6748) at Forest Row, Sussex by a Messerschmitt Bf 109E.

So I have so far not found a photo of his aircraft, but there is a Canadian built Mk XII/II painted up as his.

Vintage photos seem to show all 46 Sqn Hurricanes fitted with Rotol Props, and the restoration has no individual code letter just the Sqn codes of PO

so photo of kit and a couple of the restored aircraft

DSCN3432.jpg

fuselage-frames.jpg

Hawker-Hurricane-VH-JFW-puts-on-a-displa

I will need to check my decal stash to see if I can do the decals first, otherwise might need to change

Some painting has been done a while back when I was contemplating building this kit, but put it off for this GB

• Like 13

Nice subject choice Graeme and one that I’m not familiar with. What decals are you looking for? If it’s just generic codes I’m sure I could find something that’s suitable, just sing out.. you know my number! 

Cheers.. Dave 

Well not a great start, I got a text that my brother was in town and coming for a visit, and as he lives about a 1000kms away thought I had better make an effort

So as a widower and living alone the dining room table was covered in kits and my modelling temporary modelling station, so most of Friday was spent moving stuff and cleaning everywhere

It's amazing how much dust collects when you are in a Covid lockdown and don't do any day to day cleaning except the basics, lessen for the next Pandemic, if I survive this one, every time I see on TV about what is really bad for you to have, with the single exception of Respiratory problems , I've got the lot, was watching  program last night about how really bad it is for people with heart failure, hmm, I've got that big time heart at about 35% oh well at least I live in a basically Covid free area, that's the big plus.

Anyway, after moving all the stuff, and after my brother's visit this morning I thought I would get into the build, so started looking for the kit, then the dog got very demanding, so took him for his walk, then more searching, thinking I only moved it yesterday, where the hell can it be, so just now found it after about 3 hours of searching. so will need to spray some paint, so that means will be getting into it tomorrow.

Now big question here for those that have built this Arma kit, I keep reading about most not being able to get the fuselage halves together neatly my question is

what or where do you need to adjust to fix that?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Hi Graeme

Your post about mislaid kits and or parts, dogs wanting to go out and juggling guests, will have resonated with lots of us I imagine.

Actually you aren't living alone, you have just invited all the other members of this GB, to join you whenever you feel like visiting BM. You are guaranteed to get lots of support and encouragement along the way.

Good luck with your build.

Kindest regards Pat

Stay home and safe and build models. :) That’s how this covid-summer will be for me at least. I’m  building the same kit. The fuselage seems alright but the wings halves were a really tight fit. I can suggest to bevel the upper outside (unseen) sides of the wheelbay walls (step 1) for an easier fit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice choice :) Brick red aft fuselage is a good one. If you scrape off some paint with a toothpick & a ruler as a guide, you can even represent the formers in the fuselage.

Although from experience, it won't be seen - but we know it's there, right?  :P

On 7/11/2020 at 9:52 AM, Graeme H said:

I keep reading about most not being able to get the fuselage halves together neatly my question is

Keep the mating surfaces clean of paint, if need be, scrape a little off and of course a lot of dry-fitting. 
I've heard the same about the 1/72 Airfix Hurri, but haven't run into issues tbh..

• Like 1

Ah, another fellow Arma Hurricane builder, we should make up quite a contingent in this GB.

On 7/11/2020 at 12:52 AM, Graeme H said:

Now big question here for those that have built this Arma kit, I keep reading about most not being able to get the fuselage halves together neatly my question is

I have no idea, but I have a secret plan: do whatever @Torbjorn does 😀.

• Thanks 1

Progress is slow as I have to try and finish another subject in a different GB that is fast running out, "life wasn't meant to be easy" as one of our Prime Ministers said.

Anyway, taking @Torbjorn advice, I started with sorting out the wings, and yes quite a bit needs to be taken out of the U/C bay tops for the top wing to fit on neatly, I did this before looking at the interior, not often you hear someone say I started at the wings, but as they are both one piece, and I can then get as good join, what could go wrong?  also decided to prepaint them, saves masking maybe.

DSCN3471.jpg

Now I had heard many good things about this kit, but don't remember anything about sink marks, I have some on both U/C door, easy fix, but a significant one on the top of the tailplane is a bit of a pain, not sure that I captured it in this photo, but it's there, and I need to conside carefully how I'm going to deal with it as there is a tiny rib in that sink.

DSCN3472.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Well long time since I did an update on this one, but work has slowly been going on, this is the downside to being in too many GBs 

so state of play at the moment

one wing done, fuselage about to get done, then on to more mundane things like painting, although I did do the wings, just couldn't stop myself, also you will note another wing in the background, I knew I had another kit, so decide to get that together as well.

DSCN3512.jpg

now I was told I was unlucky with the sink marks in the tailplane, but the second one has one as well, oh well, I just ordered the BoB boxing from Hannants, see if the third one is the same.

DSCN3511.jpg

• Like 5

On 7/11/2020 at 8:52 AM, Graeme H said:

I see that @Stew Dapple made a bit more room ('I scraped out the recess for the IP with a file as this seems to be potentially problematical when closing the fuselage halves so some sanding and test-fitting will be advisable to minimise the risk of filler later.') for his i/p in his build Graeme, not sure if that's the solution but something to consider. I did see a post in this GB that referenced tips on building the Arma 1/72 Hurricane and, having just got the same kit as yours (arrived today :D), I can't find the post :huh:! But I'll keep looking and let you know if I find it.

Found it, in the build by @Olmec Head. Post #5. Hope it's not too late!

All the best,

17 hours ago, Johnson said:

I see that @Stew Dapple made a bit more room ('I scraped out the recess for the IP with a file as this seems to be potentially problematical when closing the fuselage halves so some sanding and test-fitting will be advisable to minimise the risk of filler later.') for his i/p in his build Graeme, not sure if that's the solution but something to consider. I did see a post in this GB that referenced tips on building the Arma 1/72 Hurricane and, having just got the same kit as yours (arrived today :D), I can't find the post :huh:! But I'll keep looking and let you know if I find it.

Found it, in the build by @Olmec Head. Post #5. Hope it's not too late!

All the best,

Its very kind of @Johnson to quote my thread, the guidance is really from @Lasermonkey's post which gives some excellent advice on some actions to make the model fit better.  After I used them, I found that it went together very well.  The cockpit framing needed some chopping to fit I think, but nothing drastic.  I would also recommend lasermonkey's advice on the undecart wheel well assembly and putting in the legs later.

Moving along fairly well, had a bit of a struggle getting the fuselage to join the wing, some clamping and Tamiya thin got me over the line

DSCN3523.jpg

the second kit is coming along a bit quicker, now I have a better understanding of how to get it together, with this one I put the U/C bay on the upper wing, a much better idea to get a good join

will be able to get into getting the fuselage together in the next couple of days I hope

DSCN3525.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

An update of sorts

Well while others are building these in multiples, I'm really struggling, don't know why, it is really a nice kit.

Anyway this first one has given me more grief with the windscreen canopy, a gap at the bottom that is taking forever to finish, hope to get more done today

DSCN3714.jpg

beside it are the wings for the second one, which I'm hoping is going to go a lot better for me.

• Like 2