Advice - 1/6 figures -where?

1/16 and 120mm is the largest you will find in military full resin figures.   You can find larger scales, but they would be busts only, usually in the 1/10 scale range.

There is a small selection here 200mm:

https://www.mitchesmilitarymodels.co.uk/product-category/200mm/

If you want 1/6 size figures, there is a fairly huge market in the poseable collector figure range - some people will still paint these and improve on an already finished product.

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The aliexpress link is a  knockoff product from Jeff Shiu's Miniatures and is 120mm scale.   He only sells direct, so any of his sculpts that are purchased elsewhere are copies, does not support in any way the original artist. and instead puts money into the hands of thieves.

http://jeffshiu.lsft.com/product40.html

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JackG said:

The aliexpress link is a  knockoff product from Jeff Shiu's Miniatures and is 120mm scale.   He only sells direct, so any of his sculpts that are purchased elsewhere are copies, does not support in any way the original artist. and instead puts money into the hands of thieves.

http://jeffshiu.lsft.com/product40.html

regards,

Jack

I feel this is a very redundant and totally counter productive post. It provides the OP with nothing more than your opinion. Which, if I read the Op's post correctly, was not what he/she was asking for. Save your moral high ground for another platform please.

• Sad 3

The initial posting about aliexpress was not an option anyways, as the scale is smaller than what the op is interested in. 

My post about the link is not forcing my morals on others - hey it's your money and you can give it to whomever you chose.  Just letting the buyer be aware, but am also supporting the originating artist.  I've seen Jeff Shiu's posts as well (as other sculptors) over at PlanetFigure, and he is very upset and rightly so.

regards,

Jack

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Surely a modelling forum is exactly the platform for those that who know to warn the unwary of such plagiarsm & IP theft. More so as it helps the modeller avoid inferior rip offs and puts food on the plate of the original artist.

• Like 4

The subject of resin figure "re-casts" seems to be an extremely emotive one. I once read an editorial in an American figure-modelling magazine that suggested that anyone engaged in the practice should be strung up (I don't think the writer was joking at the time, either). 

Re-casting is theft - there is no debate on that one. Having said that, I have bought a few Thai figure knock-offs myself in the past, for the simple reason that I would never pay the very high fees for the original kits - regardless of how much I want a particular figure. Therefore, from my point of view, the original sculptors have not been deprived of any money at all, when it comes to me buying the re-casts. I can understand people getting angry about the knock-off industry, but I believe that it serves a certain section of the market. The purists will always buy the originals and the more "casual" modellers will buy the copies.

Chris.   

Edited by spruecutter96
Amending some information.

2 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

I believe that it serves a certain section of the market

the same section that buys knock of Gucci, Rolex, etc.

Whilst you may feel the original sculptor has not been deprived what you've done is encourage the thief to steal more.

What if someone was to take your work, copy it and then sell it as their own for a lesser price. Your customer, or employer, would soon start wondering why you're so expensive & dispense with your services. You then been totally deprived of your income.

• Haha 1

On 8/7/2020 at 11:32 AM, Circloy said:

such plagiarsm & IP theft

So, unless the recaster is CLAIMING it as their own work, it is neither plagiarism OR IP theft (breach of copyright). IP theft would be if the original sculptor did own the pattern for the M35 Stahlhelm, which, most likely, he/she doesn't. Or the cut/design of the mostly Hugo Boss designed uniforms, which, most likely he/she doesn't. Or have they paid the Bundesarchiv any coin on the photos they may have used as "inspiration" for their sculpt, probably didn't.

Response is a joke, hence the laugh.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Crayons said:

So, unless the recaster is CLAIMING it as their own work, it is neither plagiarism OR IP theft. 

Wrong. If they used an existing figure sculpted by someone else as the master, then it’s both. If they sculpted and carved their own master, then it’s their work.

best,

M.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Wrong. If they used an existing figure sculpted by someone else as the master, then it’s both. If they sculpted and carved their own master, then it’s their work.

best,

M.

Guess it depends on where you are in the world and what the laws state.

26 minutes ago, Crayons said:

Guess it depends on where you are in the world and what the laws state.

No. Wherever you are it's plagiarism and theft of someone else's IP -- you're benefitting from someone else's hard work and skill and giving them no reward. The only question is whether the law does anything about it. And if you're pretty much anywhere other than China (and Russia from some genres) it's also against the law.

best,

M.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

The only question is whether the law does anything about it.

Are you law enforcement? If not, it's just an opinion of yours. Did you help vote your government in?

People look at this from their own moralistic, law indoctrinated viewpoint.

The Asian countries that most of these recasts are made in, don't give a fat rats clacker if the Jeff (what ever his name is) lives off of caviar or baked beans, they want a slice of the pie. So, they will give him a cut of his pie, and then remake the pie at a much less cost. Why, because they can. If Jeff wants to keep his pie, best he make that pie cheaper. Because, sure as poo-poo, first thing people check (generalisation) the price tag. And then postage. So as an example with current exchange rates, and using the link item as an example, I can give Jeff $132.25AUD or aliexpress $32.30AUD. Hmm.......

He gets caviar at the rate.....

On 7/7/2020 at 2:13 AM, FlyingBagpipe said:

Hi

Anybody got any idea where to source decent resin figures Between 1/12 and 1/6 scale please? 
Google has a habit of throwing up a load of nonsense. 

Looking for any military stuff from Ww1 to present day

TIA

A bit of a left field idea - there are excellent busts available in this scale - you may be able to combine the pose-able figure with a suitable head from a resin cast.  Sorry, probably not what you are looking for, just an idea.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

The only question is whether the law does anything about it.

Unfortunately it's civil law not criminal law so it's down to the agrieved party to police. Thats why the big corporations make deal of it and the small players get shafted.

Guess some people have morals and others poor excuses.

• Like 1

The mental rationalizations and gymnastics people go through to justify their piracy are truly astounding. And sad to see the 'I want it, don't want to pay for it, and I don't care who gets hurt' attitude in the modeling community.