Tamiya 1.48 He219 UHU

Whilst I had the lightbox out I thought I would take some pictures of one of my last few builds, he He219 UHU. This was an absolute dream to build (as most of tamiya's stuff is) which allowed me to build it up in sub-assemblies to ease painting before it all came together for the camo.

This was my first time doing such a complex camo scheme, and enjoyed and dreaded it with equal measure!! I think it came together fairly well in the end, few splotches as i was getting use to the airbrush and thinning ration for the paint, but it is nice to stretch oneself out the comfort zone every now and then and learn a few new skills.

Working with the airbrush at this level certainly helped me when it came to mottling the Bf109, but that is for another thread.

Oh well onwards to the pictures, hope you enjoy.

Matt

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 43
  • Thanks 2

Trophy for the paint work.  I like the modulation on the mottling around the cockpit area. Care to share the specific technique you used to effect the two tone mottle camo upper and side surfaces? Which airbrush, paint, pressure, etc. With a commercial stencil?, one you made from frisket, or freehand? -applause regardless.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bigglesof266 said:

Trophy for the paint work.  I like the modulation on the mottling around the cockpit area. Care to share the specific technique you used to effect the two tone mottle camo upper and side surfaces? Which airbrush, paint, pressure, etc. With a commercial stencil?, one you made from frisket, or freehand? -applause regardless.

Hi Biggles,

Many thanks for the praise, it was a daunting but fun experience.

The process used Mr color paints RLM 74 (i think) for the darker shade and RLM 76 for the lighter shade. Normally i work from lightest paint to darker paint when doing a build, but this time i put the darker shade down first and then put the lines down over the top of that. The lines were drawn freehand using my Infinity CR plus with a 0.15mm needle at 15psi. Had the paint thinned to roughly 50/50 with Mr color self leveling thinners.

Had a few areas where i let a little too much paint out and got a blotchy run, but a quick dab with a cotton bud very lightly moisten with thinners can get the worst away without disturbing the darker shade. After a few mins i got the hang of it and started drawing thin wavey lines randomly and then going back adding little joiner lines between them until the size and spacing looked right to the eye.

When i had finished (2 hours later!) I let every thing dry to get a better idea of the finished colour, the 76 was a little too stark against the 74, so I mixed a 10% paint 90% thinners of the 76 and gave the entire plane a gentle spray over from about 18 inches away until the dark shade had toned down slightly.

After that it was just my standard process of Mr Color super clear III gloss coat, decals, wash, Mr Color super smooth Matt varnish than a bit of oils for gentle exhaust, gun port and leaks to finish.

Hope this explains the process, if not let me know and I will fill in any gaps of what I have missed.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No that's exactly what I was after. Thank you. Superlative technique, and I'd like to add that in my opinion, the result achieved was most effective and about as realistic as I perceive can be achieved on a 1/48 scale model. That's a difficult camo scheme. Laying the darker colour down first was definitely how I'd have approached it too. I liked the toning down especially to relieve the excessive contrast. Thanks for the how to guide. If mine turns out near as well, I'll be chuffed.  

• Like 1

Excellent paint work. These patterns can be nerve racking can't they. That blotches are rather annoying when it is happening. I had a lot of trouble with that on my current build. 

• Thanks 1

I can’t see any reason for you to be afraid of doing some mottling on a 109, you clearly master your airbrush. Getting such a fine wullenmuster is not an easy task. I like the way you weathered the tires, can you give me a hint how? Cheers

• Thanks 1

A very nice rendition of one of my favourite WWII German fighters :)

I couldn't help but notice that the pics were loading slowly though.

I tested some of the pics, and they were 700kb+ in size, which is pretty large when posting up on the internet.  You should be aiming to save your files to around 200kb optimally, give or take a bit.  To accomplish this, you can reduce the size of your pics, as anything over the recommended 1024 x 800 maximum we advise, it's wasted bandwidth and storage space useage.  Most people view these pics on phones, tablets and 1080p screens, so huge photos of 4000 x 3000 px will have to be shrunk down by the forum software (load on the server and delay for the user), as well as the extra bandwidth that is uses up (10x what's necessary).

The downsides of this from a viewer's point of view is the waiting time before you can view the pics, and some people might get bored and click away.  From the server's point of view, it's wasteful of bandwidth, storage size (we cache images to improve speed), and it's also wasteful of the server's resources, which means a slower experience for all of us.

This isn't meant as a "telling off" BTW, more of a bit of useful advice to help you as well as help us.  If you can size your pics to the recommended limits, we'll be really happy, and so will the members :yes:

• Thanks 1

...........and while you're t it, can you give us some details of the light box, ie; a photo, dimensions etc.

Nice model BTW. Great paint job.

John.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Holzhamer said:

I can’t see any reason for you to be afraid of doing some mottling on a 109, you clearly master your airbrush. Getting such a fine wullenmuster is not an easy task. I like the way you weathered the tires, can you give me a hint how? Cheers

Many Thanks 🙂 Yes the 109 came out nicely, I shall upload some pictures of that over next day or so.

The tyres were put together, sanded to give a slight texture and then painted with Tamiya XF85 black rubber. once the paint had dried i stippled and rubbed Mig European Dirt pigment into the tyre, the slightly rough texture helped the pigment grip.

Once i was happy with the loading of the pigment, the excess was wiped off with a dry cotton bud.

Hope this helps explain, let me know if you would like any more detail 🙂

Cheers

Matt

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mike said:

A very nice rendition of one of my favourite WWII German fighters :)

I couldn't help but notice that the pics were loading slowly though.

I tested some of the pics, and they were 700kb+ in size, which is pretty large when posting up on the internet.  You should be aiming to save your files to around 200kb optimally, give or take a bit.  To accomplish this, you can reduce the size of your pics, as anything over the recommended 1024 x 800 maximum we advise, it's wasted bandwidth and storage space useage.  Most people view these pics on phones, tablets and 1080p screens, so huge photos of 4000 x 3000 px will have to be shrunk down by the forum software (load on the server and delay for the user), as well as the extra bandwidth that is uses up (10x what's necessary).

The downsides of this from a viewer's point of view is the waiting time before you can view the pics, and some people might get bored and click away.  From the server's point of view, it's wasteful of bandwidth, storage size (we cache images to improve speed), and it's also wasteful of the server's resources, which means a slower experience for all of us.

This isn't meant as a "telling off" BTW, more of a bit of useful advice to help you as well as help us.  If you can size your pics to the recommended limits, we'll be really happy, and so will the members :yes:

I think I have done things right to change them, bit of a luddite when it comes to computers so apologize if they are still large.

Matt

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

...........and while you're t it, can you give us some details of the light box, ie; a photo, dimensions etc.

Nice model BTW. Great paint job.

John.

The light box I picked up off ebay, it is 80cmx80cmx80cm.

Comes with 3 backgrounds, white, black and beige and two dimable led strip light. Also has a front that can be installed and a slot for camera to be put through. not bad for £65.

Not sure if we are allowed to post ebay links, if we are I can put it up, but there isnt many on there at this size.

Matt

spacer.png

• Thanks 1