Ospreys for Indonesia?

Slater

Locals here, I think Indonesian Armed Forces wanted something that is a good compromise between Cougar's VTOL capability (being helicopter and all) and CN-235's payload. Kind of neccessary considering the terrain here. Accessibility to remote islands and capability of carrying good amount of essential cargos for locals are very important for us. And they probably saw that good compromise in the MV-22B.

Although I don't know if we have enough capabilities to actually maintain one.

10 hours ago, Tyas said:

Kind of neccessary considering the terrain here.

You do seem to have it all; a trillion islands, jungle, forest, mountains...

I can see how it would be an attractive option, especially in the absence of landing strips - I am surprised Indonesia didn’t go for more Merlins, as they carry a similar payload and are already in use (unless there are dramas with maintaining them).

I always thought these were great for Indonesian conditions - just too old now, I s’pose:

short+skyvan+c-7+by+nur_b+modelkit.org.j

skyvan+Aristoteles+Wirawan+Adhidarma%25E

Edited by Blimpyboy
  • Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 4:22 AM, Blimpyboy said:

I am surprised Indonesia didn’t go for more Merlins, as they carry a similar payload and are already in use (unless there are dramas with maintaining them).

Oh we actually ordered 2 Merlins. Much to the chagrin of indonesian Aerospace who builds Super Puma with licenses from Airbus.

On 7/16/2020 at 3:48 AM, Blimpyboy said:

Were the Merlins a one-off, then? I must say, I thought the Super Pumas would be a good aircraft for the job.

Seems so. I think the procurement teams for AW101 were investigated by Corruption Eradication Committee (yes, there is such things as that here, such is the corruption within the government since the day of the murderer--I mean Harto). So... no other news as of yet.